KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

3 hours ago, JoaMat said:

Nice!

Seems you are using small heat sinks on 10m90s, dn2540, op27...? IMO absolutely not necessary. And yes - opto sevo is the SERVO to use.

Thank you ! And yeah, I just have them spared laying around when my newphew did some cooking for his graphic cards.  So extra doesn't hurt :).  I can not believe how good this Carbon and 009 is.  Approaching my endgame !

IMG_1388.JPG

• Like 9

12 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

You really need wider L-brackets, though. The stick-on heatsinks won't do anything until they come off and rattle around inside the case and short something :)

I thought about this, and then was thinking if I didn't move around, I shouldn't have it fell off...but hell..."never say never" I took your advise again, and now they are off.  The L bracket though, may be another time LoL.  For now it run very cool to the touch after a couple hours.  I think I am safe :) 

I thought about this, and then was thinking if I didn't move around, I shouldn't have it fell off...but hell..."never say never" I took your advise again, and now they are off.  The L bracket though, may be another time LoL.  For now it run very cool to the touch after a couple hours.  I think I am safe [emoji4] 

Cool might mean it's not doing its job. How hot are the device fasteners after a few hours and the plastic package itself?

2 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Agreed, I would not describe the Carbon as 'very cool'. As Mark has pointed out you may have a thermal bottleneck.

How warm does it get after a couple hours ? Or should be from the heatsink to the fins and the bracket.  I will get a solid thermo gun and post number tomorrow 

Edited by Whitigir

18 hours ago, Whitigir said:

How warm does it get after a couple hours ? Or should be from the heatsink to the fins and the bracket.  I will get a solid thermo gun and post number tomorrow 

Your case looks like a 2U? If so, those sinks should be very warm to hot after 2 hours. Apart from the bracket width issue, what did you use to mate your brackets to the heatsinks?

Lol, the last time my offset went to shx was when it costed me 10m90s and couple Resistors.  

4 hours ago, GeorgeP said:

Your case looks like a 2U? If so, those sinks should be very warm to hot after 2 hours. Apart from the bracket width issue, what did you use to mate your brackets to the heatsinks?

Yes, it is 2U.  I am using Thermal paste from Artic silver but went with Ceramic compound type.  Now I have my thermal gun, the Carbon hottest part of the heat sink read 42 C each side, a bit different.  The Cree 100007 on the HV reads 41 C, and on the Amp board reads 42.5 C after couple hours on.

i love that bottle!

Edited by Whitigir

The 3-4 volts offset was a bit of a disappointment. Turned out OP27 was (partly) defect. New OP installed and now I get readings as below. No signal at input and DC at outputs are in mV range. No trimmers, just power up, inhale and all is set.

_MG_1562.thumb.JPG.e50e328ab696db13fb68ae2724529b39.JPG

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JoaMat said:

The 3-4 volts offset was a bit of a disappointment. Turned out OP27 was (partly) defect. New OP installed and now I get readings as below. No signal at input and DC at outputs are in mV range. No trimmers, just power up, inhale and all is set.

_MG_1562.thumb.JPG.e50e328ab696db13fb68ae2724529b39.JPG

did you empty the bottle in the meantime? that might create a bit of an offset ;o)

• Like 4

The three layer Carbon has as early said no trimmers. Offset and balance are entirely controlled by servos. The offset servo is the opto version introduced by Kevin some year ago. The balance servo I use was published by Kerry somewhere on Head Case a couple of years ago in a LTspice model.  The cascoded current sources used  is thanks to James Lin and his SRX revisited. James cascoded current source is now days found in many amplifiers and power supplies here at Head Case.

Thank you gentlemen. (If I’ve had a screen printer in my kitchen your names would be on the top silk)

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 1:14 PM, kevin gilmore said:

i was wondering how you were going to do 3 layers in your kitchen, now i know

Same here. Single sided sandwiched with double sided blanks? I'll give you an A for creativity! I personally will stop at 2-layer, and commercial houses are so cheap anymore I don't bother with those :rolleyes: