KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

42 minutes ago, JoaMat said:

Carbon with 2SC4686 current source at the left.

58e4a7ad1048c_Carbonfullservo3layerRight1200V-Proteus8Professional-3DVisualizer.thumb.jpg.d5236af28a6ff01ef8d1b1c84e7c1ea5.jpg

Inspired by works of Soren, Kerry and the team behind the DIY T2. Original design by Stax (I believe). No more speed ticket for violating the 450 limit.

Neat implementation...2x 9360 + 3x c4686?  ...is the other CSS on the bottom side?

Yes, same as the T2 current sources except 2SC4686 instead of 2SC3675. Two LEDs and emitter resistors on bottom side.

Today I visited a fantastic DIYer. He designs and builds his own small metal airplanes. He let me use his equipment to cut 1/16 aluminum sheet. Thoff thoff and I had perfect fitting top and bottom covers.

7 minutes ago, JoaMat said:

Today I visited a fantastic DIYer. He designs and builds his own small metal airplanes. He let me use his equipment to cut 1/16 aluminum sheet. Thoff thoff and I had perfect fitting top and bottom covers.

Can you shrink yourself into a three-layer pilot and fly one of those?:ph34r:

On 1/7/2016 at 6:26 PM, kevin gilmore said:

here is something for you people to play with.

emission labs 20b-x4 tube in the kgsshv-carbon-tube is a direct plugin.

just cut the filament lines tying the 2 tubes together, there are already 2 connectors, one for each tube.

4 tubes about $2100.

solves the center tap filament issue.

So...has anyone ever tried this ? 

• 2 weeks later...

I did a few changes on the board as originally,The metal under the CN2 terminal block will cause short circuit with the copper coming out from the Q12 transistor as they're too close .Also,I changed the terminals with VH ones for easier installation.//
For the resistor values,I am more comfortable with numberings than the original values.I should hv added the credits for James Lin and Kerry terontianos.Ill add it back later.I really enjoy the build and the sound coming out from an kgsshv carbon.im sorry if i hv offended you for solely removing the credits and the resistor values.:)

Thanks guys. 

@livewire I made the knobs myself. Quite some time ago I sold a few pieces here. They are made from a piece of amboyna burl, mother of pearl inlay, PUR boats lacquer. 

As usual I would not simply call one better than the other.

For the SR007mk3 I clearly prefer the carbon, for the 009 definitely the kgst. The conventional kgsshv is a little behind I believe, but also more suitable to the 007 than the 009. 

From a perspective of build complexity, build beauty and aesthetics the carbon rules them all. The kgst is a rather simple build but compared to that is superb. The carbon with separate GRLV, offboard sinks is a different beast. 

So I finished my my KGSSHV Carbon a few weeks ago. Been too busy listening to it, but I thought I would share my effort and measurements. I am lucky enough to have access to some test gear that allowed me to take thermal pictures of the amp and some further analysis such as frequency response.

I also put together a bring up guide that I used. It is basically a summary of what others have already come up with here in posts. it can be viewed at: KGSSHV Carbon Bringup Guide

Attached is the test report.

And yes, the wiring still needs to be tidied up in that picture, especially the grounding. I was a little impatient, plus I still need to design a small latch and inrush limiter circuit for the momentary switch. For now the switch on the IEC connector makes do.

20170317_190838.jpg

KGSSHV Carbon - SR17001.pdf

• Like 18