KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

Oddly, Whitigir, they are only rated 300V.  I got them not sure I would use them, but after visually comparing to the 400V rated ones I also bought, this one simply was better.  More clearance from the board and better angle of the wires.  Only time will tell if I have any problems, but I sure feel better with these after comparing to the regular 400V black ones from Digikey.  And these are far, far away from the trace that a couple folks have had arcing from, so I cannot see that issue coming up for me.  

Part number 1546074-5-ND

With my Carbon up and running, I just spent a half hour listening to Chris Jones' Roadhouses & Automobiles which is a really well mixed and recorded album.  I have heard this album probably 100 times, but I was truly shocked by some of the sounds I was hearing.  I kept looking around to see where the sound was coming from, but it was the recording.  There were several times I was startled hearing things I just did not hear in the same way in the past.  Definitely more sound stage, no question there.  But also more punch and startling clarity of everything.  I am running at 17ma right now, but will retune for 20ma tomorrow and listen some more.  That is, if I can get to sleep. I want to stay up all night listening to music!!!!!  

Edited by Blueman2
  • Like 1

The problem with mounting the 10m90s for CCS 580v bias is that there is a lot of voltage on that metal tab

I have not measured it but it has to be well over 600v

the heatsink is 6/32 mount hole

most times the transistor hole is too small for any PPS washer I have to fit

they will crack if you force it

and the PPS washers require a M3 or 4/40, so no 6/32 screw

good news is there is not a lot of heat here as its putting out ~1.5ma

so I have used a nylon 6/32 with 2mm oxide pad and thermal grease

Peek would be better

have also reamed out transistor hole before mounting to fit washers

and 4/40 SS screw with nut through heat sink hole

this is all covered in one of the older threads but they are large

600v when let loose is exciting and yes I have had flaming boards

this is what I get away with YMMV

• Thanks 1

Thanks congo5.  I am going to order some very long Peek screws from the local dealer here.  I plan to drill out the hole and put the screw all the way through the back and add a washer. Luckily, Solid Spot LLC, the main importer of high quality Peek screws, is just about 5 miles from me so I can just go pick them up.  

I changed my Carbon to 20ma (from 17ma) and at low levels, could not really tell much difference.  However, when I cranked up the volume, it made a difference.  Brighter and more shiny.  In a good way, for my ears.  I know it is cliche to say you can hear things you did not notice as much before, but in this case it is just true.  I keep getting surprised by sounds I had not heard before coming from my old standby albums.  I am dedicating all day tomorrow to just listening to the Carbon.  I have no real desire to finish the chassis now; I just want to listen to it. 

Edited by Blueman2

...  I can't wipe this smile off my face. [emoji4]

Many congratulations, Blueman2. I’ve learned so much from your posts and from the replies from the other members. I built a KGSSHV with lots of advice from members on another thread in this forum, and I’m about to put iron to boards today on my Carbon build. Hopefully, your good vibes will rub off on my build. :-)
-Vinh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations @Blueman2 , yes the Carbon is awesome.  The reason I asked about voltage rating on the blocks were because I suspect this rating is more about it body insulation in between the terminals spacing, and arcing is not pretty.  But it does look very nice and just fine.  I still don’t know how they put the rating on these blocks 

Edited by Whitigir

7 hours ago, Blueman2 said:

...I plan to drill out the hole and put the screw all the way through the back and add a washer. Luckily Solid Spot LLC, the main importer of high quality Peek screws, is just about 5 miles from me so I can just go pick them up...

I had forgotten about it but this is basically what I did with my GRHV except I used a long M3 metal screw with the shoulder washer.

GRHV.JPG

Edited by mwl168
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jose said:

Now... you need a BH/GG :rolleyes:

My wife already hates each and every one of you.  It is about to get worse, though.  Let me pan back on the Carbon build:

20171119_104038.thumb.jpg.d3a176d6f3a5005708612796704ed94c.jpg

And zooming in on the left:

20171119_104045.thumb.jpg.ff08f596e460009ca0558ce24719cbab.jpg

Guess my wife is not inviting any of you guys over for dinner anytime soon.  Too bad.  She really is a good cook. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Blueman2 said:

I changed my Carbon to 20ma (from 17ma) and at low levels, could not really tell much difference.  However, when I cranked up the volume, it made a huge difference.  Much brighter and more shiny.  In a good way, for my ears.  I know it is cliche to say you can hear things you did not notice as much before, but in this case it is just true.  I keep getting surprised by sounds I had not heard before coming from my old standby albums.  I am dedicating all day tomorrow to just listening to the Carbon.  I have no real desire to finish the chassis now; I just want to listen to it. 

How fickle audiophiles are! :P  Just a week ago the SRX Plus was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and now...a new girl and the old one forgotten. :lol:

Well, the SRX-Plus is still getting love.  My wife still likes its sound better than the Carbon.  She says the Carbon is too harsh for her, and the SRX is quite petite compared to the humongous Carbon.  I used every square inch of the SRX case, but the Carbon is only about 1/2 full.  There are albums I like better on the SRX than on the Carbon.  For example, my old favorite 'The Yes Album' just sounds better on the SRX than on the Carbon.  Can't really explain why.  Although my SR-507s are starting to get very worried that I am going to ditch her for an 009 Omega.   

Edited by Blueman2
  • Like 1

After more timing listening to both the SRX and the Carbon on my SR-507s, I am finding both amps reveal 'flaws' ins some of my favorite albums.  Beck's Morning Phase is a good example.  Parts of that album are way over modulated and distorted.  Waking Light, at about 3:35 into the song, is a good example.  That is the way Beck wanted it, so calling it a flaw might be the wrong word.  But until I had these amps, I did not realize just how overmodulated it was.  I will say that the SRX seems to handle the distortion better, giving a more pleasing representation.  The Carbon just lays the recording issues bare and is not as pleasing to me.  More accurate to what Beck wanted, but certainly not as pleasing.    

I have both amps on my work desk and each gets about equal use.  Just depends on the mood I am in and what the source material is.  Not sure where the hell I am going to fit the BH-BJT.  New desk, I guess.