KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

10 hours ago, mwl168 said:

Hard to tell from the rendering the size of the heat sinks. The Carbon runs hot, make sure the heat sinks are adequate. 

I am going to run a controlled test when I get the heatsinks. My backup plan is to go with normal vertical heatsinks which I have already modelled after the conrad design. I decided to go with a cool winged heatsink because Conrad heatsinks never replied to my emails.

10 hours ago, Pars said:

I wish I could use modelling software like that :)

Everybody can do it! This is my first ever 3D-model ;).

Looking great!  I see you are following mwl168's advice and elevating the resistors.  Smart.  Looking very good so far.  So you will be finished my morning?  I mean with the Scotch.  

I ran out of scotch. I’m going to bed :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, bui501 said:

Finally got off my ass and started to populate the boards for my Carbon build... I’m on a roll now... I just hope I don’t run out of scotch before the boards are finished...

947125bd2c548df0b3e27977a274db33.jpg

3 hours ago, Blueman2 said:

Looking great!  I see you are following mwl168's advice and elevating the resistors.  Smart.  Looking very good so far.  So you will be finished my morning?  I mean with the Scotch.  

elevating resistors and caps are not needed on those boards, as the boards do not have any ground plane on top. (so the only resistor needed to be elevated is the power resistor on the PSU board).
Probably easier to populate the SMDs and socket before resistors, as the resistor sort of get in your way now

3 hours ago, sorenb said:
elevating resistors and caps are not needed on those boards, as the boards do not have any ground plane on top. (so the only resistor needed to be elevated is the power resistor on the PSU board).
Probably easier to populate the SMDs and socket before resistors, as the resistor sort of get in your way now

That’s ok. I remembered the advice you and others gave me for my KGSSHV build and just continued with that.

Having the components slightly raised made it a lot easier to check every joint on both sides of the board.

About the resistors getting in the way of the SMDs: DOH!!!!

Edited by bui501

I’ve been trying to find a source for the PZTA42 transistors for the Carbon V5 boards, but everybody seems to be out of stock on them.

Would this be a suitable substitute?

Diodes Incorporated, ZETEX, Manufacturer part FZT657  — it’s a 300V NPN transistor with a collector current rating of 0.5A:

https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=FZT657TAvirtualkey52230000virtualkey522-FZT657TA

22 hours ago, gepardcv said:

Where are you sourcing the heatsinks?

I will have all of the parts custom made in a cnc-shop. Since it's unclear whether I will make more than one I will have the heatsinks milled and not made with a mold. It will be expensive but beautiful :)

It has taken me about a week to understand why so much of the music I am listening to on the KGSSHV Carbon seems distorted and overmodulated.  Until last week, I had never heard of the term 'Dynamic Range' or 'loudness wars'.  I was unaware of just how poorly much (most?) of the music recorded in the past 15-20 years was mastered.  Not really a topic for this thread, but just thought it was worth mentioning as I wasted quite a bit of time and effort doing measurements on my amp to ensure it was correct, doing similar tests on my SRX-Plus, and then going back to my HD650s as a reference.  Turns out it is the source material that was poorly mastered.  In fact, this is a general issue with much of the music recorded in the past 15 years or so.  One of the worst offenders is a favorite of mine: Beck.  Morning Phase and Colors are both horribly over modulated and distorted. Luckily, there has been a re-master of my very favorite Sea Change which addressed the issue, but just a word of warning to those like me who are new to using Stax earspeakers with really good amps like the Carbon.  If something sounds bad, it is probably the source material, not the DAC, Amp or earspeakers.  

Unfortunately, the source material is the one thing we have no way to address!  Depressing.  

Edited by Blueman2