KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

1 hour ago, PICaudio said:

I can not finish my Carbon either because I cannot find the C2M1000170D and STN9360 anywhere ?

Can I use TSA1765 instead of the STN9360?

EDIT: I found some C2M1000170D in RS with a bit high price IMHO, but they only sell a minimum quantity of 30 units and I only want 10, if anybody want some units of this sand I can make a little groupbuy.

Blueman2 used STN9260 and it seems that it worked.

• 1 month later...

Yet another week of looking SiC fets and they're just as unavailable as ever...

Even the ‎SCT2H12NZGC11 has gone up in price and every damn cree FET is unavailable, not even the 900V C3M part which i was thinking if it would work but alas it's unavailable anyway

Digikey expects new shipments of the 1700v C2M to arrive in November though

Thanks Picaudio. I don´t need them at this time but I have decided to place an order in case I need them for another project.

In Mouser the deliveries have been delayed constantly and it seems that they will not have inventory until next year ... if there is luck

Thanks Helium

I don´t buy in Digikey for shipping costs (I live in a corner of the world) Mouser is mainly where I usually buy the components and the STN9360 has been unavailable for a very long time. I bought 20 to have them for future projects and they are in BO since before summer.

RS has a warehouse in Spain so I decided to buy some now.

I prefer to have components and not use them before that need some and not have it.

Edited by jose

On 10/11/2018 at 6:14 PM, Helium said:

Hmm, Mouser has C2M1000170D in stock. I bought 12 pcs week ago, and they are still available. Am I missing anything?

I am already buying most from digikey, mouser will cost me extra to ship. And generally digikey is what I use, due to pricing and support

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have been stuck for about 10 months on getting my custom case ordered. Most of the companies I have enquired have either dismissed me or given me astronomical offers, such as, $15,000 for a single case.

Do you know of reputable shops who could manufacture my case? Also, if any of you have access to proper machinery and is willing to attempt this project, I would be more than happy to compensate accordingly. We could also possibly arrange a group buy if there are enough people interested in my case. I have to build mine first to make sure the thermals are okay, of course.

Thanks in advance!

25 minutes ago, P3t4 said:

Hey guys,

I have been stuck for about 10 months on getting my custom case ordered. Most of the companies I have enquired have either dismissed me or given me astronomical offers, such as, $15,000 for a single case.

Do you know of reputable shops who could manufacture my case? Also, if any of you have access to proper machinery and is willing to attempt this project, I would be more than happy to compensate accordingly. We could also possibly arrange a group buy if there are enough people interested in my case. I have to build mine first to make sure the thermals are okay, of course.

Thanks in advance!

That sounds way overpriced. You can get a KGSSHV from Mjolnir Audio for far less.

Most people here use modushop or diyaudio store and get the panels CNC'd with modushop or use Front Panel Express. It's not super cheap, but won't be anything close to $15,000.

There's also a bunch of vendors in China that do a pretty good job, but I don't know how to navigate that area.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P3t4 said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

You might consider contacting @joehpj .

He has developed a two case solution for both KGHV Carbon and Grounded Grid amps. If he still has the bare cases available, it makes for a clean looking finished amp at a very attractive price. My GG in the photo. Carbon looks similar without tubes protruding. 

4B8F288D-D001-4A14-A89A-7F549A7CCC1A.jpeg

Edited by Laowei
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke down and put my "temporary" acrylic front plate on my carbon build...  Image-1.thumb.jpeg.134169b4e8ea49500ea8b778e1045615.jpeg

I finished the boards almost 9 months ago and have been waiting for access to a cnc or mill to make the front and back plates.  After waiting for so long, I finally bolted the acrylic plates that I had originally made just to size and verify the positions of the components... 

Image.thumb.jpeg.48407e2e4d5096fece92a51bad4fea65.jpeg

The amp sounds pretty darn awesome, even with the uncased DIY drivers I had made...  Loud enough at 12 O'Clock position to fill a small room with very transparent, noise-free music...  Definitely enough to blow out what's left of my eardrums.  It'll probably be a while before I can get the permanent, aluminum front and back panels made.Image-2.thumb.jpeg.9a3de0243004690a10b19b6ac2ba1f8c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

bui501, I love the board placement and use of space.  Well done.  And the acrylic looks pretty darned cool to me.  I would keep them. Maybe even an acrylic top too!

Now what the HECK are those custom electrostatic drivers?  Did you build those yourself? 

Edited by Blueman2

Thanks, guys. 

Blueman2, the custom electrostatic drivers are indeed my creation -- they were inspired by Chinsettawong  in his DIY Electrostatic Headphones forum on Head-fi.org (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-diy-electrostatic-headphones.498292/), and they were the reason why I started building electrostatic amps in the first place.  When I saw that thread several years ago, I bought an old  stax SRM-1/Mk2 from eBay to start my DIY headphone attempt, wasn't happy with the old stax amp, so built the KGSSHV...  It's been an ongoing fall down the rabbit hole since then.

The drivers were made from pcb boards and mylar film with a coating of staticide 6500 antistatic spray on the film.  I'm waiting to get access to a machine shop or at least a cnc router again so I can build the cups for them -- or at least get some time again to finish up the wood cups that chinsettawong gave me so I can finally case some of my drivers.  In the meantime, though, I have some acrylic headphone cups I've just finished cutting that will finally serve as my version 1.0 of the DIY headphones.  (will post pics soon)  I know most of you guys have the top-of-the-line Stax headphones and look down on the SR-404 and 300 series, but that's all I have, and these DIY drivers blow those old Stax headphones away in both transparency and soundstage.

JoaMat, the relay board is just a stock selector board to let me switch between the balanced (tiny XLR) and unbalanced (phono) input.  That and the SumR transformer are the only major components that's stock -- I made everything else from scratch including the stax connectors, pot board, etc.  The stax connectors were made from stocks of teflon and have gold-plated brass vacuum tube sockets for connectors.  I even molded the stax connector on the cable from scratch:  the flat cable itself was a Koss extension cable; the connector on the end was made from pieces of brass rods, a teflon core I milled on a table-top cnc, and covered in a cast hard urethane casing.  I DIY cast the mold out of silicon from the end of the cable on my SR-404. 

Edited by bui501
grammatical correction
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 7:28 AM, Blueman2 said:

I definitely tip my hat to you, bui510!!!!  I get great personal satisfaction when I do something myself, but you have taken that to an entirely new level.  And yes, pictures please as you continue with your DIY ES earspeakers.  Bravo!!

I know this is a cross-post, but it's related to my carbon build...  I made acrylic speaker housing(s) for the drivers...  (I still haven't decided how to make headbands to mount the ear cups I'm making for headphones yet.)

These speakers are now connected to my Carbon and filling up my tiny little room with music.  I have tiny-xlr connectors on the back so I can use the same removable cables for speakers and the headphones I'm still building. 

I love this hobby...

image.thumb.png.742c04a39cdc9244066e9ad667afcb80.png

• Like 11

I can just see you hunched over with your forehead resting on a table between these 2 monoliths, enjoying the wonderful sound.  My back hurts just thinking about it.  ;)

I am in awe of your nerdiness.   

Edited by Blueman2
  • Like 1