KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

As proposed, I started this thread for all to share your KGSSHV Carbon build experience and to exchange Q&A. This is a natural follow up thread to the Carbon Group Buy thread.

Here are the version of Gerber files used for the boards in the group buy:

kgsshvcarbonv5.zip (amp board)

kgsshvpssicfetdual2new.zip (GoldenReference HV power supply, all-in-one version)

kgsshvpssicfetsinglenewrightfat.zip (GoldenReference HV power supply, B+ and bias) 

kgsshvpssicfetsinglenewleftfat.zip ( GoldenReference HV power supply, B- and 7815/7915 based +/-15V regulator)

goldenreference4.zip (GoldenReference LV bipolar power supply)

goldenreference4plus.zip (GoldenReference LV V+ power supply   

goldenreference4minus.zip (GoldenReference LV V- power supply)

bias.zip (stand alone regulated Pro and Normal bias supply) 

I (or others) will follow up with BOM. 

EDIT 10/8: Updated the BOM and Mouser project for the Carbon V5 to use Vishay RN60D 174K resistors for the two 175K positions. The correct part to use is Mouser part # 71-RN60D1743F. It's a mil-spec resistor that is actually 1/2W even though it's listed as 1/4W. The previously listed Xicon is 1/4W rated and not sufficient for these positions. 

EDIT 10/13: Updated the BOM and Mouser project for Carbon V5 to use 3M 961102-6404-AR for the servo jumpers. 

Note that the BOM does not match the shared Mouser project due to parts availability at Mouser. I apologize for the errors in project/BOM.

EDIT 9/10: link to shared Mouser project for the GR HV Dual. Need to add 2 LT1021-10 and missing parts not available at Mouser. Please help check for errors.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=54687aa8fa

EDIT 9/12: link to shared Mouser project for the GR LV Dual. Need to add 2 LT1021-10 and your choice of insulation kits to mount uninsulated sands. Please help check for errors

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=b6d687c7f7

EDIT 9/20: link to shared Mouser project for the Carbon V5  (1 channel only). Please help check for errors.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=7F837B24AA

EDIT 10/19: GR HV Dual BOM in spreadsheet. More complete than the shared Mouser project above.   GR HV BOM_Oct19.xls     

EDIT10/11: GR LV Dual BOM in spreadsheet. More complete than the shared Mouser project above.     GR LV BOM_Oct 11.xls 

EDIT 12/11: Carbon V5 BOM (1 channel) in spreadsheet, uses KOA Speer resistors.   HV Carbon V5 BOM_Dec11.xls

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was posted in one on the group buy spread sheets: 210VA pri: 230V sec1: 2x380V (250mA) sec2: 2x18V (500mA) sec3: 9V (250mA). Obviously you would choose the voltage of the primary for your region (or get dual).

Haven't cross-referenced it with the various suggestions on the traffo from Kevin and Kerry in some of the other threads.

What is the 9V winding for?

My notes for secondary windings, gleaned from everything I saw posted on the main KGSSHV thread and the Carbon group buy thread, have the following specs (primary windings probably should probably be 2× 115V for everywhere except Japan for maximum flexibility):

For a 400V PSU:

• 2× 335VAC @200mA
  • 16-0-16VCT (anywhere from 15-0-15VCT to 18-0-18VCT should work fine) @500-700mA (the higher amperage is way overkill)

For a 450V PSU:

• 2× 360VAC @350mA
  • 16-0-16VCT (anywhere from 15-0-15VCT to 18-0-18VCT should work fine) @500-700mA (the higher amperage is way overkill)

The higher the amperage, the higher your transformer's VA rating, obviously — I haven't contacted SumR or Toroidy for quotes yet, so not sure what either one will say. Also not sure about the size of the resulting transformers.

There is a physically wrong sized bridge rectifier in the BOMs... 

I just checked and looks like 3N254 which is marked on the silkscreen on the GR HV dual board is too large  correct for the GR HV Dual board but too small for the GR LV board. I will check the actual boards when I get home tonight and make necessary corrections.

Thanks for catching this.

EDIT: Also see Kevin's post below. 3N254 is correct size for GR HV Dual board. For GR LV Dual board, RS402L is one of the bridge rectifiers with the correct physical size. It's rated 4A/100V, Mouser part #: 583-RS402L. These observations are made by fitting the actual parts onto the boards. 

Edited by mwl168

It's in the thread 360 for 450v

I am looking for the drop-out voltage - the smallest possible difference between the input voltage and output voltage to remain inside the GR HV regulator's intended operating range. 360vac for 450VDC works out to be 50V difference. That seems very high to me.

Edited by mwl168

the HV boards, the 3n254 is .15 spacing, and the board is .15 spacing any of the tiny 1 amp ones will work.

on the LV board the spacing is .20, and its definitely a different bridge, the same one used in the ksa5 power supplies rated for 10A I think

I think one can easily use the GBU610 on the LV Board. 1000v 175a is way to much, but who cares?:lol:

Edited by insanity

I would put the dropout voltage around 12v and possibly less. For calculations you should use 20v.

I also add ten percent to the overall voltage requirement to cover variances.

transformers are a bit of a sliding scale of voltage base on the design parameters and actual current draw.

I would put the dropout voltage around 12v and possibly less. For calculations you should use 20v.

I also add ten percent to the overall voltage requirement to cover variances.

transformers are a bit of a sliding scale of voltage base on the design parameters and actual current draw.

Thanks Kerry!

Any advantage to go for higher voltage?  I used 400v.  

For 400v secondary, the pre-regulator filter capacitors will need to be rated for at least 600VDC. I would also pay attention to the heat generated by the pass transistors.

What is the 9V winding for?

My notes for secondary windings, gleaned from everything I saw posted on the main KGSSHV thread and the Carbon group buy thread, have the following specs (primary windings probably should probably be 2× 115V for everywhere except Japan for maximum flexibility):

For a 400V PSU:

• 2× 335VAC @200mA
  • 16-0-16VCT (anywhere from 15-0-15VCT to 18-0-18VCT should work fine) @500-700mA (the higher amperage is way overkill)

For a 450V PSU:

• 2× 360VAC @350mA
  • 16-0-16VCT (anywhere from 15-0-15VCT to 18-0-18VCT should work fine) @500-700mA (the higher amperage is way overkill)

The higher the amperage, the higher your transformer's VA rating, obviously — I haven't contacted SumR or Toroidy for quotes yet, so not sure what either one will say. Also not sure about the size of the resulting transformers.

Is everyone ad idem on this?

Also, does anyone have an extra dual carbon psu board? under ordered for some reason.

No particular reason from my own perspective. I've always used Vishay RN60D in the past and started using KOA Speer for the first time when I built my KGSSHV. From everything I read both should work fine. I do go for the better 50ppm spec whenever I can but I don't get hang over it. 

I do like the KOA Speer's blue color better although RN60D is much easier to use for me - I don't have the color coding scheme memorized.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am also very interested in hearing others' thoughts of this matter.

Yes I also think this is an interesting question. 

Does anyone know, if the RN60series is really rated for only 125mW, or if this is just a milspec thingy and they are actually 500mW as the RN60D (which are 250mW accroding to milspec)

Edited by insanity

If if anyone intends to use the Gold Refence LV anytime, remember you will need to order the transformer with split secondaries and not center tapped. 

I just ordered a custom R Core from Mike at Custom Magnetics. 115VAC x 2 primaries/ 360VAC@350mA x 2; 18VAC@200mA x 2 secondaries. Not cheap for the custom engineered prototype. Maybe someone could contact them to piggy back a group buy and get a price cut on the engineering I am paying for. Sorry, but I don't have the bandwidth to follow thru on a GB. 

Yes I also think this is an interesting question. 

Does anyone know, if the RN60series is really rated for only 125mW, or if this is just a milspec thingy and they are actually 500mW as the RN60D (which are 250mW accroding to milspec)

According to Vishay data sheet, RN60D and RN60C are the same power rating and same physical size. C is 50ppm and D is 100ppm. Both are rated at 1/4W @ 70C and 1/8W @ 125C. Not sure why Mouser lists RN60D as 1/4W and RN60C as 1/8W.

mwl168 please update the Mouser project and spreadsheet for the 100uf/25v cap.  The lead spacing should be 3.5mm not 5mm.  The following Mouser part should work: 647-UFG1E101MPM.

Also, 3N254 was not listed.  This part should work: 625-3N254-E4/51

3N254 is listed in both the Mouser project and BOM for GR HV Dual. Will confirm the lead spacing of the 100uf caps in the morning and correct if necessary.

EDIT: Thanks to jdineshk for catching this error. The 100uf/25V caps on GR HV Dual need to be 3.5mm lead spacing. I've corrected both the Mouser project and the BOM. I picked a different cap,  647-UTT1E101MPD for its low ESR rating. It's not listed as an Audio grade capacitor like 647-UFG1E101MPM which is a Nichicon's Muse series. Both caps will work. 

Also, 10M90S is back in stock at Mouser.

Edited by mwl168