Hockey Thread - 2015/2016 Season

Aura

Interesting series in the West.  Momentum keeps shifting, if there really IS any at this point.  Two strong teams....

In the East, glad to see Tampa pulled ahead and in Pittsburgh.  Now please finish them off on Tampa's home ice.  Pitt has played pretty well in front of their goalies, but the cracks are showing, and Fleury in net was a big mistake IMO (see my comment earlier in thread, re: Caps winning if Fleury was in).  I'm pretty sure Sullivan will start Murray next game.  And it's actually refreshing to see Phil Kessel play with fire, something he has apparently lacked when with the Bruins and Maple Leafs.  Seems he has picked up where Crosby has declined.

Ultimately I'd like a SJ cup win, though the Blues wouldn't upset me.  And Tampa Bay wouldn't upset me, as Stamkos is one of my favorite players for combination of skill, leadership, and class.  Even though he hasn't played due to injury, I'd love to see him get a cup....

Just enjoying the games!

A proper Hawks fan will never root for St Louis... order of preference for the cup is San Jose >> Tampa Bay >>>>>>> Pittsburgh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> St Louis.

I am ridiculously impressed by Tampa. If they can pull this off, it will be the best overall series win of these playoffs. Kucherov is quickly becoming one of my favorite non-Chicago players... he has been clutch numerous times when Tampa looked to be on the brink.

Let's follow suit, San Jose!

• Like 1

The effort level San Jose put into the third period spoke volumes. Especially trapping possession below St Louis' blue line to score that first empty netter. Take it home and finish it, Sharks!

• Like 1

I guess I prefer Tampa because Sharks would have home ice advantage over them. Even though their road record was much better than at home this year, they have done well here in the playoffs and the fans have been amazing. I'm definitely going to at least one game.

Two weeks ago I also said San Jose/Tampa finals... no change there. Would be an amazing series. Of all the teams that made the playoffs this year, these two teams consistently put in the most hustle across all zones (and happen to have the most active sticks in their own blue lines). 

Meh....Penguins won.

Several people on a Bruins forum think that SJ will have an easy time.  I don't necessarily think that, but hope that the Sharks can expose the sometimes-weak Pittsburgh D.  Penguins role players coming through for them as well, great depth this year at forward; something they hadn't had a lot with big contracts going to Crosby and Malkin.  So they do make me nervous, but they can be beat.

Go Sharks!!!!!

• Like 1

fuckin pittsburgh. 

I agree Todd... this series isn't going to be a breeze. But it seems that San Jose *should * be able to negate the speed of Pittsburgh better than any other team and turn it back on them with forecheck aggression. 

San Jose is 6 seems appropriate. Let the western dominance continue! And all hail the beard! :dan:

joe-thornton.jpeg

I wasn't too surprised the Sharks lost the first game of the series, and it took them a period to settle in and shake off the nerves. Second period was pretty much all Sharks and then both teams hunkered down -- and slowed down -- in the third. I don't think they'll spot the Pens two quick goals next game.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Mike Sullivan did a great job in coaching the team to come out hard and fast.  Certainly was not boring hockey in any way.

That 3rd line for the Pens is a killer, though.  Bonino playing so well, and if your third line features Phil Kessel (playing his best playoff hockey ever) as well you have some great depth.  That may be the thing that makes it hardest for SJ.

Go Sharks!

Yep, I wasn't surprised how that game went. Though I really wish Jones could've staved Pitt off in the third to send it to OT. I wouldn't expect San Jose to be nervous tomorrow night.

Couldn't watch the whole game due to some other distractions but in general, it seemed like San Jose regressed from game 1 in sustaining offensive zone pressure and had some seriously-awful fucking puck luck (Hertl had what, 3-4 shots hit post?).

Pittsburgh third line continues to impress. Matching Kessel with some speedy forwards seems to be a match made in heaven.

Series definitely not over. Some time in the shark tank will hopefully get San Jose back to exerting some pressure earlier on in the game.