Hockey Thread - 2015/2016 Season

Aura

1 hour ago, skullguise said:

His contract dollars are a bit smaller, but they go until he's 40.  There's something with the rules in that MTL wouldn't get penalized ("recapture cap hit") if he retires early, it may actually be Nashville (?).  Didn't look into or understand that. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2016/6/29/12061696/Salary-Cap-Recapture-Montreal-Canadiens-PK-Subban-Shea-Weber-Nashville-Predators--Flyers-Offer-Sheet?client=safari#

When Nashville signed Weber to his massive 14 yr deal they front loaded his total salary, paying him above the contract's AAV in the early years so they can pay him less as he gets older and closer to retirement. Hawks have done something similar with Hossa I believe. The trouble is, when this is done you bear the risk of paying a recapture penalty on all of that front loading should the player retire early. Nashville would have a total exposure of $24 million if Weber retires at ANY point before age 40 (the last year of his contract). 

They are taking a massive risk. I'm mixed... Weber is a better defensive Dman but Subban can be so dynamic.

Edited by Aura

THN's spin on the trade would be comical in any other market.

it was done because one player brought too much attention to himself and some of the people around him couldn’t stand that.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/will-canadiens-rue-the-day-they-traded-p-k-subban/

Now MTL needs to get more scoring, and have Price stay healthy.

While not as much of a goal scorer as an agitator adding Andrew Shaw should help create space which could help in that department.

Krug, 4 years, 21million. Stays with Boston.

Really great post/article on PK Subban trade.  Can you say peer pressure?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2099595

Again, I think he'll do well in Nashville, in less of a fishbowl.

Shaw was a good pickup for MTL, too.  I joke that they need him to be that talented pest type, since Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher are now buddies.  They need someone new to stoke the flames of hate :D

Most Boston fans like the Krug deal, MAYBE feel a bit overpaid.  But these are the rates.  They also bought out another defenseman (Dennis Seidenberg), so many feel something is brewing....fingers crossed.....

19 hours ago, skullguise said:

Most Boston fans like the Krug deal, MAYBE feel a bit overpaid.  But these are the rates.  They also bought out another defenseman (Dennis Seidenberg), so many feel something is brewing....fingers crossed.....

Well, they just signed a 32-year-old forward to a 5-year contract at $6M annually. Weren't they looking to get younger/faster?

Shouldn't be surprised as this is the same group of people (minus Chiarelli now) that traded Seguin and Hamilton for peanuts.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

This is the Neely influence I think.  He wants the toughness but still some talent.  Management still wants to Bruins to be somewhat Blue Collar, because they've been pushed around a bit too much by others.

Hoping there's no NMC for Backes, because if not in theory he could be exposed in expansion drafts after next year for LV, or in another 1-2 when another team potentially comes in.  BTW, same with Anton Khudobin, though he's at cheaper money and a better stopgap.

And many Bruins fan are basically OK with this deal for the short term, as it will still take time for the prospects to come up.  A mix of folks would would have preferred Loui Erikkson stay at that same $6M, even if for 1 more year (and Loui's younger).  But his injury history is tough....so I'm half and half on the overall deal.  I like Backes, but going UFA means paying a lot, especially when a player has a good year and/or playoff run (and his playoff performance was great).

Similar things can be said of a few of the UFA signings, like Milan Lucic and Andrew Ladd.  7 year deals @ $6M and $5.5M respecively, and expected to be somewhat albatross contracts at some point....

I wish the Bruins were allowed to FULLY re-tool to some extent, and not be JUST good enough to make or come close to playoffs but go nowhere.....

Bah....I'm rambling.  Just hope they can do SOMETHING better on Defense.

• Like 1

Most signings yesterday seemed not good or just too expensive but that's the UFA landscape. 

I sort of wished Chicago could've gotten in on Eric Staal at a similar AAV that Minnesota gave him but he isn't what he used to be. At least Brian Campbell gave us his discount... The D should be more consistent this year. Quite concerned about winger depth on third and fourth lines though. Gonna be a lot of young'ins getting minutes. 

Just me or did St Louis get completely worse by letting major pieces walk away? They've got some young studs but is their prospect depth really that deep? Wouldn't expect such a contender to suddenly seem like they've went 180 into a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, skullguise said:

Bettman loves the US dollars coming in....he has a fear of Canadian Dollars, even though support would seemingly be very strong in Quebec....

I'd love Quebec to get a team again.....

Strong support.... you can say that but it's much more than that. In fact for a lot of people it's a religion here in Québec. 

And the inside story about PK is quite simple: he was adored by a majority of fans but the sentiment inside the team was quite the opposite. You can believe me the other players will have a hard time trying to hide their smiling faces for quite a while. PK was unable (even refused to change under the coaching pressure) to become a team player even with all his obvious talent.

Amicalement

• Like 1

Isles lost 3 good players,surprised Nielsen signed with the Redwings,He is a great all-round player & the only one of the three the Isles wanted to keep.

I think all the teams where waiting to get a shot at Stamkos & had the funds to overpay for the remaining FAs. 

We will see what the Ladd,Chimera deal brings next season.

• grawk locked this topic