Stupid question about Marantz receiver

shellylh

I have a Marantz SR6005 receiver that I used to use with a 5.1 setup (LCR are Monitor Audio silver RX6 and centre while the ss and sub are cheapies).  I was planning to get rid of the sub and surround sound speakers and just have a 3.0 setup.  Is this ok?  The manual only specifically mentions a 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1 setup though (nothing about a 3.0 setup).  I would be using the LR for music and the LRC for movies/tv.

"This unit can perform 2.0/2.1 to 7.1-channel surround playback. This page provides the speaker installation procedure for the 7.1-channel playback using surround back speakers as an example. The default setting is 7.1-channel. You can also perform 5.1-channel playback. To perform 5.1-channel playback, connect5.1-channel speakers only. Use Audyssey Auto Setup function of this unit to automatically detect the number of connected speakers and perform optimal settings for the speakers to be used."

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SR6005_U_EN_UG_v00.pdf

Eventually I should get separates but I think this is a better choice for now, especially with the lack of space. 

Edit: I think I may have thrown away the mic to do the Audyssey Auto Setup.... 

I think I can just go into the manual setup and set all the volumes on the LCR to be there same?   Should I set the LR speakers to "large" or keep them "small" since I won't have a sub.  I guess the reason to not set them to "large" is so you don't harm the speakers?  According to MA, the speakers have a FR of 35Hz - 35kHz.  What about the center speaker (it has a FR of 45Hz - 35kHz but will mostly be used for voices/midrange in movies/tv so I assume it should be set to small)? 

Edited by shellylh

Large means you're sending the full-range signal to the speaker; small means you've high-passed the signal, and sent the low-passed signal to the sub.  So yes, if you're going to eschew the sub, use "large" even if they're not large large.

As to whether or not you're going to be able to do 3.0, you may not, as that is not a very common capability -- just do 2.0 and phantom the center and just set the center aside for when you rebuild a surround system.  But ultimately, it's up to the receiver, and whether or not it has that option, and from a couple seconds of ^F-searching through your pdf, I don't see it.

I saw this when looking around:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7640562&postcount=19

I'm not sure exactly how to do it, as I can't pull up the PDF at work, but I'm sure we'll be able to figure out how to just cut off sub and surrounds. Having fronts as large shouldn't be an issue, and like this says, having the center as small would have the dialogue and up through that, but the receiver should send the lows to the fronts to handle. It may not be a one-click setting, but I'm sure setting it up once shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

I ran a 3.1 system with my old denon (same as marantz pretty much) receiver for years, I don't think you should have any problem running a 3.0 system. Come to think I definitely turned off my sub one night and ran my bookshelves full range just to see how they would sound, so that was a 3.0 system and it worked fine.

Borrowing reks' audyssey mic is a good idea, it will do all the work for you. It should set the speakers to large automatically, if it doesn't you can change it.

EDIT: or you could just set your speaker distances (or just leave them at zero) then adjust the volume on the center channel until you're happy, and set the speakers to large, and you should be good to go. audyssey is cool though.

If you don't like the effect audyssey eq has on your sound you can turn it off, but it will still retain volume/speaker distance etc, meaning the stuff you want.

batpig's denon to english dictionary is a great source of info if you want to learn more:

http://batpigworld.com/wp/?page_id=55

Edited by postjack
  • Like 1

I'm sure my neighbors would really love that! 

Speaking of this, I was thinking that I should maybe put my floorstanding speakers on a pair of Subdudes.  What do you think about this?  They are on hardwood floors (and the different floor in the building are separated by concrete). 

http://www.auralex.com/product/subdude-ii/

Do you think they would be stable on something like this?

:(  So subdudes it is... although I'm not sure those will help much, will they?

This is probably the single worst thing about apartment living.  Sorry.  Watch the time.  9pm on Sundays 10 pm the rest of the week, here in Virginia.  (And it's not a free-for-all during the day, it's just higher during the day by a small amount.)

• 1 month later...

Easy for you to say!

I know this post is kind of old but if you wanted to add a subwoofer and say live on the second floor what about trying out a front fire sub?  I used to live in a second story apartment and ran the SR6005 and it was pretty sweet even despite me having BIC speakers and BIC subwoofer (which to me btw pretty awesome budget setup for the price).

Edited by velvetx

The problem is that bass energy conducts much better through the floors than treble energy.  I currently use my Equator D5 as overheads, and at the volumes I usually listen at, they're already pretty bass heavy and I still have to keep it down.  Really, anyone that enjoys blasting it once in a while (guilty, I) shouldn't live in an apartment or townhouse, and/or should get a large vocal booth.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of getting a sub, how about go with a relative large speaker instead?  I used to live in an apartment and I never bother with a sub but used a relative large speaker with large woofers instead.  5.0 for me via Paradigm reference system with no complaints from my neighbor.

Edited by purk