Best estat amp for jazz/009

Serendib

I certainly wasn't suggesting I expected or hoped Audez'e would change their pricing strategy. In point, I was simply expressing my non-optimistic hope that they might deliver a significant performance improvement. I did not perceive any of the models that came after my LCD-2 (a headphone I thoroughly enjoy on the Taboo) as worth the replacement cost. But 4 years later, I am willing to give the 4 a try. I am not complaining about price, and I am not suggesting that Audez'e will have "changed behavior." Just hoping for an incremental performance improvement that I will find worth the price. If not, I can return them. Seems pretty fair overall to me. 

Given that basically all the changes in the last decade that have been associated with huge price hikes have been in flavor rather than objective improvements, I'd be shocked if all of a sudden there were a giant improvement.  

Stax O2s, Sennheiser HD650, ATH-L3000, Grado PS-1, Grado HP1000, Grado RS1

I've not been convinced any full sized headphones released since then are significantly better for the given characteristics.

• Like 2

This may be a "mileage variance" item. I can't I can't speak to any of the phones you mention except the Senn, so I am not going to disagree with the assessment of the others. I for one could not tolerate the 650, but I found the 800 head and shoulders better. Admittedly for me, that was not an upgrade choice but a first buy choice. And it wasn't just a "flavor" difference for me; detail and soundstage were markedly better. Now at the time, I was using significantly different amplification equipment, so who knows what difference that played. . At the risk of belaboring what I wrote, while I am not optimistic, I am hopeful that the 4 year interim since buying my 2, I will get more than just a "flavor" change when the 4 comes out. And if I don't, well, I am not stuck. 

Given that basically all the changes in the last decade that have been associated with huge price hikes have been in flavor rather than objective improvements, I'd be shocked if all of a sudden there were a giant improvement.  

Stax O2s, Sennheiser HD650, ATH-L3000, Grado PS-1, Grado HP1000, Grado RS1

I've not been convinced any full sized headphones released since then are significantly better for the given characteristics.

Very insightful, as usual.

I was going to argue for the HD800 and SR009, but after thinking about it I agree with you.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

The HD800 really is a better headphone than the HD650, though I would argue that it's more a successor to the AKG K1000 than the HD650.

Interesting contrast. Although I have "listened" to the K1000 a couple of times for a few minutes, I am not familiar enough with its sound to make that assessment.