Any $100 IEM recommendations?

Voltron

Wife really likes her RHA MA750. Amazon Warehouse Deals has them for about $100.

I'll second this recommendation, I use these daily for portable and work, they're an absolute steal for the money. 

I wouldn't touch the RE-400's with a 10 foot pole, I owned a pair, they sound just ok but the real problem is the quality, mine feel apart with a few months.

Meh, wipe them down with alcohol and get new tips.

I'm still enjoying my Klipsch S4i out of my iPod Shuffle 3G, but they switched from dynamic to balanced armature drivers years ago, so I can't make any statements on their current range. I'd also check out the Jays range from Sweden, which I've heard and enjoyed... looks like you can get them for decently discounted prices online.

I echo the Ety's.  The sound is good/very good on most of their models, and the triple flange tips fit well in my narrow ear canals.  Many other IEM's don't fit well so don't sound good (IME - In My Ears).  Not sure of the Altec Lansing OEM'd Ety's (I think they were a copy of the ER-6's) are still available, but my wife loved them.

Etymotic ER-6i.

As far as I remember ER-6i lacks bass badly.

As far as I remember ER-6i lacks bass badly.

That might have been a fit and/or seal and/or source and/or amplification problem.  If you used the triple flange tips and pushed them all the way in (albeit not dangerously so), so that you got a good seal, they lacked no bass.  They did have a mild midrange suckout, but I tend not to mind those (my Dynaudio Special 25s, my Audio-Technica L3000s, and the Sony MDR-7506/-V6 all have a mild midrange suckout).

Edited by Dusty Chalk

The Kilpsch X10 are great and very very comfortable.  The first pair I had for a couple of years but sold them to a friend. I bought a second pair at some point and they were very poorly made (they cut in and out on both ears if you wiggled them).  I read that a lot of the ones made at that time also had these problems.  I would not but another pair unless I knew for sure that they fixed these problems.

That was my recommendation, and I bought a set with Mic for $99 a couple years back.  Like them more than the RE-400, and I'm usually a huge HiFiMan Fan boy.

My wife wants a pair of buds that isolate that she can were while sleeping.

If she justs wants something to keep out noise and not to listen to music, I really like the purple Flents quiet time earplugs.   I started wearing them because Tim snored loudly but now I wear them anywhere I go.  I replace them about once a week.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F5VDVE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001J4HB1C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RHT6AWB2P7S1X4VKZ33

I've been out of the market for a long long time but I think I still have a beat up pair of these somewhere; I got them from Circuit Shitty if you can believe for something like 60 or 70 bucks.  You could probably find them for cheap on ebay as they never developed a cult following.  They really were not bad compared to the uber money IEMs I compared them to and you can probably find some threads to back up my claims.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX90LP-Earphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000EGLZUE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by Mr.Sneis

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly think the Sony XB90EX are the best IEM out there under $100 new - obviously these aren't what you should get if you don't love bass, but I'm really honestly happy with the rest of the spectrum on these, they're not just good at bass and bad at everything else :)

I'm able to go between them and Stax happily, if that's helpful to any of you... headphones with bad or muddy mids or highs I just simply won't tolerate, electrostatic or not.

• 11 months later...

Well as per Head-Case standards, I took it upon myself to more than double your budget, while totally disregarding your need for less.

But really Justin, I owned a $20-ish pair of JBL buds some years back, and thought they performed well above price point.

• Like 1