Shure KSE1500 – Electrostatic Earphone

Leonardo Drummond

Lol – yeah, I couldn't care less about sample rates and wouldn't mind at all if it was limited to 44.1/16 since I don't listen to anything beyond that.

I do like that in a way it seems like a more interesting attempt at a JH-3A concept but made by a large company with "unlimited" resources and an electrostatic transducer. 

It seems that it's available for pre-order for 3K and MSRP will be 3.8K... ouch. Won't be getting it, apparently, especially with the current 4/1 BRL to USD ratio.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

There is an analog input if I'm not mistaken. So, you can use another DAC?

I'm definitely interested in these. I'm looking for a non biased review also. It better be the best sounding thing out there though. $4K for another flavor isn't interesting to me. 

Edited by robm321

A good strategy might be to wait. There should be another 50 TOTL IEMs released in the next quarter. The price should go down to stay competitive or they can be picked up used from someone chasing the newest, bestest IEM.

Edited by robm321

At +/-200V power supplies and 200V bias, its super easy to do a real push pull electrostatic amplifier. All surface mount.

You can be sure that there will be more iem electrostatics.

I see what you did there....:lol:

Does sound very interesting.  And while Jude cannot be called impartial, even for him to gush like that I would say means it's well beyond simply good

• Like 1

Seriously, how are you affording your mortgage payments?  Word on the street is that Brazil is getting hit hard.

Yeah, things are very tough now – nearly 10% inflation, interest is already at 14.25%, retracting GDP, gas prices have doubled and energy costs rose 60% in the last year... the whole country is suffering a lot, many companies closing their doors, massive layoffs, and the government is struggling to maintain most of the social benefits that were the mark of the Worker's Party and a symbol of a promising economy. But we're now paying the price of the unbelievable corruption and economic incompetence that came with it. The president is at the brink of an impeachment process. We're expecting some rough years ahead...

There is an analog input if I'm not mistaken. So, you can use another DAC?

I'm definitely interested in these. I'm looking for a non biased review also. It better be the best sounding thing out there though. $4K for another flavor isn't interesting to me. 

I think it's quite expensive as well, but I dunno, for some reason it does look like something different altogether and as a fan of the SE846, I have high hopes for these!

I spit out my drink when I saw the price.

I mean, how big can the market really be for $3k potable set-ups?

Plenty obviously.  Have you seen the AK380 thread?  Some people are doing a 6.8K portable setup consisting of an  AK380 (3.5K) + AK Amp (0.7K) + JH Audio Layla (2.6K)

I guess I just don't get the portable appeal. Unless you are traveling all the time what is the point? I would think this stuff would be perfect for students, but the 3k cost would be a crap ton for them.

Heck, it seems that for 3k you could probably get a used 007 and a used KGSS to run it.

I was reading the patent Shure filled for these a year ago. It's interesting to see they actually came out with the product.

Not really impressed with the price. The SRH846 or whatever the fuck it's called is a piece of shit and that's there TOTL $1000 iem so guess all these companies have there heads so far up there arses and think we consumers all have the salary income equivalent of a dentist or lawyer.

EDIT: Here's the patent paper:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140064510

Edited by DefQon

I guess I just don't get the portable appeal. Unless you are traveling all the time what is the point? I would think this stuff would be perfect for students, but the 3k cost would be a crap ton for them.

Heck, it seems that for 3k you could probably get a used 007 and a used KGSS to run it.

Yes I totally agree here.  However some folks in Hong Kong & Japan may go all out for this.  They hardly have any space even for a desktop setup.

There are many of us who don't like to leave our setups at work, and take them home every night.

Same here.  I feel uneasy leaving my work rig there.  For the most part, its Sony ZX-2 > PHA-3 > JH13pro FP in balanced mode for me.  Then again I do have to switch to open headphones from time to time to catch the phone.

• Like 1

Utterly ridiculous price, kind of insulting for people that actually waited for an electrostatic alternative to the SR-001 that didn't have the ergonomic compromises. But the technology sounds fascinating, and it will be interesting to see where this goes.

Jude's reviews are basically product announcements and should be treated as such.

Edited by catscratch
  • Like 1