Shure KSE1500 – Electrostatic Earphone

Leonardo Drummond

The price is retarded and having Jude try and shill them is just sad.  Well not for Jude as we all know he's a cunt but rather for Shure as they might have something good here.  The amp has to be better than the POS KingSound are calling a portable amplifier... 

I do feel the sudden urge to make a super tiny KGSSHV and throw some batteries and a couple of DC to DC converters on it. 

• Like 5

Yes I totally agree here.  However some folks in Hong Kong & Japan may go all out for this.  They hardly have any space even for a desktop setup.

Same here.  I feel uneasy leaving my work rig there.  For the most part, its Sony ZX-2 > PHA-3 > JH13pro FP in balanced mode for me.  Then again I do have to switch to open headphones from time to time to catch the phone.

Right, there's a whole culture -- not just those locales that purk pointed out, but there are many of us who just don't have that "bigger is better" attitude, and we don't see any reason why a small setup can't provide just as high fidelity an experience.

Something tells me these will not sell well and there will be cable reliability problems.

Not like there was any real problem with the original 001`s transducer wise but isolation and fit was indeed a problem.

They claim it took 3 years just to design the cable when it appears to be just a ribbon wound up in a circular shape.  I guess Shure don't excel at project management... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

sure.  It's really a shame there aren't free, easily obtainable utilities that can take dsd files or 192khz files, convert them to 24/48 in a way that humans are incapable of identifying as different. 

Sarcasm noted. But why should I have to do that, just for the inconvenience of managing multiple libraries? I own a fair bit of material in DSD. Forgive me for wanting the choice to listen to it that way on the go. For $3k, I don't think it's too much to want to have a rig that can play my files without requiring me to manage multiple libraries. I own a fair bit of DSD material, some of it original, and I don't actually want to down sample it. If I want to support DSD releases, regardless of whether others might think we humans cannot hear the difference, I am pretty sure that's my choice. 

My guess is that a DSD-capable version of this or a competitive unit will be available before long. 

Edited by Pale Rider

I think this will sell, just look how many people bought the Hugo and this is only another $500 and it includes a set of in ear monitors.  I am intrigued but the question is why hasn't this been done before from other reputable companies (namely Stax themselves)?  

Edited by velvetx

It will sell but won't sell very well outside of people mainly in need for portable systems and the market in Malaysia, Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong. $1k is more realistic, $2k is just *no comment* and from what I gathered that's just the earphones? No amp and such?

It will sell but won't sell very well outside of people mainly in need for portable systems and the market in Malaysia, Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong. $1k is more realistic, $2k is just *no comment* and from what I gathered that's just the earphones? No amp and such?

For $3k you get the earphones and the portable amp/dac.  I did not realize until after talking with an MOT how strong the Asian market seems to be when it comes to portable audio.  Seems like they can basically carry launches like Fiio and apparently now Shure.  If they aren't as dependent on the US market seems they can basically charge what the Asian market will pay and the US market they only need to sell certain amount.  I am sure the HF announcements help tremendously with sales of expensive products.

Edited by velvetx

Ditto to what Jacob said.  I like the idea a lot, but can't justify the cost in any way.

I'd hope that there might be some response to this by Stax or another vendor, to bring something less pricey to the market, while still hitting high quality.  Maybe something closer to the Stax SRS-002 system with more IEM-style earspeakers.

Guys I'm newbie, and it's my first message on this forum, i heard the news from Turkish forum, watched Jude's video and Jude's attitude already irritated me. But now i checked on patent, and it's really ridiculous, their claims are like they invented the electrostatic system. Also i catch the word "electret" and i guess they put electret plates behind standart electrostatic stators. i dont know about the gap between stators and diaphragm, but i guess thats why bias is really lower than baby stax.

Can any pro check the patent, if not already did? It is fun to read as well.

Edited by Sechtdamon
Grammar

I was reading the patent Shure filled for these a year ago. It's interesting to see they actually came out with the product.

Not really impressed with the price. The SRH846 or whatever the fuck it's called is a piece of shit and that's there TOTL $1000 iem so guess all these companies have there heads so far up there arses and think we consumers all have the salary income equivalent of a dentist or lawyer.

EDIT: Here's the patent paper:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140064510

Thanks Sherwood, you're so kind. :) Here is the original post with patent filling link.

Also i wonder, did they really say that they've worked on cables for 3 years? What difference did they make? I really wonder.

Edited by Sechtdamon
addings

I really hate hype people... I defend my ideas on turkish forum but, dunno if it makes sense. What i really don't understand is, shure did very innovative, untried things with that headphone, but still they wanna get credit for old "electrostatic transducer technology" as if they invented it. But guys still, i'm very curious about it's sound signature. Especially after seeing that unconventional transducer placing. As i know, even in baby Staxes, transducer faces directly to ear, am I right?

I read some of the patent a few days ago and I don't understand how they can patent something that's been public knowledge for decades.  There have been IEM stats and closed stats before...they're basically combining the two and patenting a closed stat IEM?  I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to patents, but does stuff like this 'get through' often?  How difficult would it be for another company to make their own closed stat IEM and argue that Shure didn't really create anything new?