CH Precision C1 DAC

Dave R

That seems unlikely.

I'm only referring to DAC's. I still plan on getting a KGSSHV Carbon and probably another pair of stats headphones, but because C1's can apparently be upgraded with possible future improvements, then that DAC will see my life out.

At the very least, I'd get someone to set up a double blind test so I could be sure the thing sounds at least different, if not better, than something cheaper.

When thinking of getting any audio equipment, I don't just seek SQ, build quality and looks also play a big part, so doing a blind test would be pointless to me.

Yeah, get a 007Mk2 and report back...  :)

A couple of months ago I heard some then recently got 007A's along with my 009's with the BHSE/K-01, and while those 007A's did sound very very good, I still preferred the 009's, however this was while mullard xf4's were being used.

In that audition with the C1, 007A's weren't used,  so it would be interesting to hear them while using the BHSE/C1.

Getting the C1 isn't going to be soon, it will take me at least three to four years saving for, now some will think I'm crazy for doing such a thing, but it's something I want to do.

P.S. I've also thought about auditioning the Trinity DAC, but I've seen it priced at $60,000, so I wouldn't be saving for one even if it sounded a lot better than the C1.

Forget all this mixing of different brand name rubbish.

Get the new Orpheus.  A complete system, and it will break your wallet just as much if not more than what you're planning/contemplating now.

One brand synergy for the win.       You know you want to........   :ian:

• Like 1

Forget all this mixing of different brand name rubbish.

Get the new Orpheus.  A complete system, and it will break your wallet just as much if not more than what you're planning/contemplating now.

One brand synergy for the win.       You know you want to........   :ian:

After seeing the new Orpheus system,  only the headphones appeal to me,  and I bet they are very comfortable, so I'd only be interested in saving for those headphones.

That might only happen though, if they could be driven by any stats amp.

I'm only referring to DAC's. I still plan on getting a KGSSHV Carbon and probably another pair of stats headphones, but because C1's can apparently be upgraded with possible future improvements, then that DAC will see my life out.

I hope the company will be around long enough or care enough to provide upgrades.

• Like 2

I hope the company will be around long enough or care enough to provide upgrades.

From what I've read, CH-Precision started in 2011 and was founded by Florian Cossy and Thierry Heeb who apparently were once head designers at Swiss audio company Goldmund, so CH-P should last for sometime, however there are no guarantees with a lot of audio companies.

That's called buying sculpture, which is fine, but does it really apply here? Maybe I'm missing something.

c1_main.jpg

IMO, the photo doesn't do justice to how well the C1's build quality is.

The irony is there is an upgrade for the K-01 that you aren't opting for, most importantly which addresses the horrible output stage implementation that Esoteric is known for.

Sometime ago I enquired about that upgrade to the K-01 and was told the improvement in SQ wasn't worth the cost, being told that I didn't ask what the cost of that upgrade was. I also queried about using an Esoteric G-02 master clock with the K-01 and was told the same.

...it will take me at least three to four years saving for, now some will think I'm crazy for doing such a thing, but it's something I want to do.  ...Trinity DAC, but I've seen it priced at $60,000, so I ...

By the time 4 years rolls around digital formats will change, so...at that point the C1 will probably cost 60k.  

• Like 1

By the time 4 years rolls around digital formats will change, so...at that point the C1 will probably cost 60k.  

I was actually offered that C1 I auditioned which was/is in pristine condition, but the asking price of £17,340 was still too much for me.

I may end up going for a used one, but I'd only want to get one from the same guy that brought that C1, who is something to do with CH Precision's UK distributor.

• 3 weeks later...

This area of audio is so complex, I got very bogged down in tech specs and buying / selling DACs, to be honest I nearly walked away from my interested in music in 2006 altogether.

I eventually found some R-2R DACs to try out. I don't have big budgets but I do think there are gems to be had with R-2R DACs if the buyer is careful and gets proper home demo's to A/B equipment in the same session (if possible). Unfortunately the build costs of R-2R DACs I am told is much higher than DS types, and to complicate things further making one that can handle bit-perfect beyond RedBook further pushes the price up. Makes that come to mind are Lampizator (though Big 6 is not R-2R now), TotalDAC, Audio Note, Metrum Acoustics. 

Anyone here want to share some experiences of any R-2R DACs?

Although I started this C1 thread, it was done so before getting the Yggy.

Had I heard the Yggy first, then I wouldn't have done this thread, especially how the Yggy is making both my headphone combos sound after having it on power continuously for almost a week.

A few days ago I was still thinking on saving for a C1, but that is now something I won't be doing, simply because the Yggy is giving SQ I'm extremely happy with and more.

I'm going back to my original plan in that my next audio piece will be a KGSSHV Carbon, then hope Sennheiser do something similar to the HE-1060 but can be used with both the BHSE and Carbon.

• Like 1