Sennheiser HE1060/HEV1060 (New Orpheus)

purk

I have some issues about all of this besides the retarded price and the utter certainty of the amp being shit.  First off is having the amps in the earcups, good idea in many ways but mosfet output?  I don't know of any SMD mosfets with low output capacitance which is crucial.  200pf into a 50pf (just guessing) will make this sound worse than the Cavalli crap and that says a lot.  Before people jump to and say that Sennheiser wouldn't do that... well they did in both the HEV90 and the HEV70.  Sure it was the tubes in the 90 but still the same applies. 

I have the strange sensation that I will change one of these to a bloody Stax plug in the future so it can be driven properly...  Going by the stuff I get asked to do all the time it wouldn't be a shock. 

• Like 2

Thanks.  :)  Not a whole lot of stuff left but I might sell T2...  :o  In true Icelandic tradition I'm spending way too much on this so yeah, it would help... 

I expect that you can get them for around 30K if you are tight with your local Sennheiser dealer.  Sell the T2 for 12-15K...then boom....sell 3-4 carbons.  :)

Congrats on buying a house!

Edited by purk

Ok I'm a bit naive thinking my questions would have some echoes on HF, but I did try ^_^

BTW, maybe I should have asked them here...I knew it :

Kevin Gilmore's assumption on capacitance to drive may be a bit pessimistic ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/779102/did-sennheiser-just-reveal-the-orpheus-successor/975#post_12011474 ) since Sennheiser claims 200% efficiency improvement. 40 pf are not that far from 50 pf, BTW.

That said, very curious to see how Sennheiser manages amplification...ok, one need "only" 30% of the current to drive the phones properly, but hey, 30% of a SRM-T2 (that's at least the class we are talking about) still is a lot of room and heat to dissipate.

Very curious about the "thick" diaphragm too.

I've to say I'll be very interested in some mafia's enlightments :)

Ali

Does anybody know the warranty terms for the original Orpheus? You kind of expect something built out of marble to last.

Probably a standard Sennheiser Warranty but at 50K it should come with 10-year power train & 100,000 miles warranty.:lol:  I wonder how much better is this headphones compared to the original HE90 + DIY T2/Aristaeus.

... I wonder how much better is this headphones compared to the original HE90 + DIY T2/Aristaeus.

I doubt there will be any way to find out because I suspect the built in DAC might do all sorts of signal manipulation to get the sound presentation and frequency response they are looking for.

Wait, what? You mean it doesn't fly? I was actually thinking this would be a fairly cheap option to transatlantic airfare over the next several years, and I could listen to music at the same time. 

$55,000 or is it Euros gets you a modern version of the Koss ESP6.  With the proprietary amp in the earcups (Koss used transformers) I doubt that anyone will be able to assess the headphones by themselves because the proprietary stuff will be in the way. 

900x900px-LL-c2a273d6_ESP6.jpeg

Edited by edstrelow