Streaming player (Sony Walkman) vs. iPhone 6 for Tidal

hausera

• 9 months later...

I have an arcane high end streamer system based on a Logitech Transporter. To make that work seamlessly takes a bit of work.  PC needs to run Logitech Media Server for the Transporter to work.  Networking via router - so PC, Transporter and NAS drive (with CD collection ripped using dBPoweramp) all connect to router.  And because the interface to the Transporter is naff you use an Apple Tablet running iPeng - which connects to the router wirelessly. iPeng is an Apple-only app - so should also work with an iPhone.

I also use Tidal HiFi, and getting that to work with the rest of the system is in itself arcane. And it occasionally forgets somehow, so you have to delete Tidal and reload.

Pain in the ass, it most definitely not a plug and play - but sounds stunning when it gets its shit together.

• Like 1

Now that is an interesting question.  Used to be via ickStream, but you can now directly link to Tidal.

I followed the instructions here https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/201871191-Squeezebox .  After faffing around registering this, that and the other I can either access Tidal via ickStream, or directly.  Basically I have no real idea what the ins and outs are - I just followed the recipe.  All of this working under iPeng http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ because that gives me an intuitive and easy to use interface to the NAS, to the Transporter, and Tidal.  I've also got the TV connected to the Transporter via optical, and a CD transport via SPDIF.

I fiddled around with external DAC's connected to the Transporter, but just ended up using the inboard DAC, because it is a bit good - even fed via Jung Superregulators.

Getting it all working is a bit of a fight first time. There are people on forums (Stereonet) who haven't managed to get a Transporter working satisfactorily - like I said, nothing like plug and play!

If you're going to use Tidal HiFi on a Walkman, it'd be worth it to invest in a box of metal bias casettes. Get a well known, high quality brand, like Maxwell.

Much better sound, especially in the highs and the dynamic range; as Tidal HiFi is CD quality resolution, you're certain to hear the difference.

Oh, and be sure to have the Doubly turned on. Tape hiss is almost inaudible that way.

• Like 1

Walkmans are digital now, you're showing your age.

Actually, I might need to get something -- I have already an iPod Touch, but am considering a Fire HD or one of the smaller Fire tablets (I can get a pink one for $50!) for toting to work...

Is there a case for the iPod Touch like there is for the iPhone?  They're no longer the same size...