Elite:Dangerous

Sherwood

We have a couple games bumping around the "What Are You Playing" thread, as of late, so I thought it might be cleaner to use this space to discuss the greatest of those games, Elite:Dangerous.

I'll grab some screenshots of my lousy ship and uninspiring progress later tonight, to get things started.

• Like 3

I use VoiceAttack with voice packs from HCS VoicePacks and they are nice, though they can be bit fiddly to setup initially. Truth be told, it's quicker for me to just use the buttons/keys on my HOTAS rig.  Aside from the specific throttle settings (e.g., 0%, 25%, etc.), I've got everything bound to setup with the exception of ship lights, orbit lines, and rotation correction (which is always on, anyways).  The only reason they're not bound is because I almost never use them, and if I do need to use them, I can just use my keyboard.

With that said, random quips from Verity can be entertaining at times.

For anyone new starting the game...

Useful web sites/web tools

3rd party tools

• TrackIR - the standard for PC head tracking device.  Bit pricey at MSRP.
  • EDTracker - a gyro sensor based head tracking device.
  • TrackHat - A TrackIR alternative.
  • VoiceAttack - Speech/voice to keystroke/mouse action software.
  • HCS VoicePacks - Voice packs to use with VoiceAttack.  Pre-built commands for E:D with voice feedbacks.

I'm forgetting few things.  I'll add more as I remember them.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

20 hours ago, Fitz said:

Much like the subreddit, beware the general discussion section of the official forums. It's home of some of the most entitled people you will ever meet.

But I want my Federal Corvette for free.

I'd forgotten how bad it is over there.  I hadn't browsed there aside from specific threads I have bookmarked.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Sometimes it's more like "I want a Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter for free or I'm going to pursue legal action because I backed the game on kickstarter and this one feature isn't exactly as promised yet so FD better give me stuff in game to make up for their anti-consumer behavior" :stick:

• 2 months later...

I fooled around a little bit in Horizons a few weeks ago. Sadly I struggled to get decent performance on planet surfaces out of my old machine, and had a host of other graphical issues (missing terrain in a checkerboard style). But when things were working right, it was incredibly fun.

First time going down I belly-flopped hard onto the surface because I vastly misjudged the distance and scale. Then after I'd gotten a bit more used to it, I was flying through canyons and weaving around mountains while staying a few hundred meters or less from the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe she's vacationing in this planetary nebula I discovered on the other side of the galaxy by sheer chance, about 33 thousand lightyears from civilization, and quite likely no other player in the game has yet to visit months after me finding it.

MIJVk8s.jpg

Or perhaps this sunny beachfront trinary system (that nearly melted my ship)

VngvWOf.jpg

• Like 1

Colin wins!

It took me and some wingmates going over that planet's details probably close to an hour before we even noticed it was tidally locked and just had a collective facepalm.

Edited by Fitz