grounded grid

kevin gilmore

On 2017-06-15 at 5:17 PM, Laowei said:

You'll need to characterize just what "acting up" is.

We'll continue later when you get back. 

Have an enjoyable vacation!

Well, vacation is over and my GG lives. Turned out to be a partially dead lsk389 on one channel and a cold solder joint on the other, combined with too high tail resistor values on both. Obviously not my finest hour stuffing those boards :). Anyway, the amp sounds really really good, so many thanks to KG and all other contributors for this great circuit! Now to find some exotic and good looking EL-34's to top it off...

• Like 4

Just now, Laowei said:

Good news that you got your amp debugged. The GG really is a great sounding amp. What EL34s are you running now? 

Just basic JJ El34's. From what I understand, different tubes should have limited sonic inpact in this curcuit, but I got the GB BH boards for a later build and there I think changes may be more audible. Apart from looking for exotic, I also intend to try the JJ EL-34L which the guitar crowd claims had more bottom end than the regular JJ EL-34. Fun times ahead :)

• Like 1

Notes: I´m using a Mullar quad (actual production). -/+450volt rails. 20mA plate current

I only had 1 hour of listening; the sound is strong like a Carbon but with a bass more marked but clear (I can´t listen problems like distortion, noises... Have I good quad tubes?). IHMO Carbon is more accurate musically (like a laboratory instrument) but the GG seems more fun.

The decorative rings arrived. I fitted them to the chassis mostly to cover the poor drilling job of the holes.

These rings have 54mm outer diameter and 36mm inner diameter and are about 10mm tall. One thing of caution - they make installing and removing the tubes much more difficult because they get in the way of grabbing the tube base.

Grounded Grid - with tube rings.JPG

• Like 7

On 6/24/2017 at 7:44 PM, jose said:

Notes: I´m using a Mullar quad (actual production). -/+450volt rails. 20mA plate current

I only had 1 hour of listening; the sound is strong like a Carbon but with a bass more marked but clear (I can´t listen problems like distortion, noises... Have I good quad tubes?). IHMO Carbon is more accurate musically (like a laboratory instrument) but the GG seems more fun.

Get JJ EL-34 at least or 6CA7.  I don't like current production Mullards :( , but that is just me.

4 minutes ago, mwl168 said:

The decorative rings arrived. I fitted them to the chassis mostly to cover the poor drilling job of the holes.

These rings have 54mm outer diameter and 36mm inner diameter and are about 10mm tall. One thing of caution - they make installing and removing the tubes much more difficult because they get in the way of grabbing the tube base.

Beautiful build!!

11 hours ago, mwl168 said:

Nice case, looks compact and reliable.

1 hour ago, Laowei said:

No, was traveling to our contract manufacturing sites in Shenzhen and Zhuhai frequently for work. Laowei (or laowai) is Pinyin Mandarin for foreigner/stranger/any non-Chinese. I'm a blue eyed, blonde haired, fat old American guy. 

Ah, it makes perfect sense now. 

Hi, 老外!

• Like 3

I grew up in Alaska, so it'll be no surprise that I too love fish. However, I tend to like my fish fresh and not rotted. I also worked side by side with Norwegian fishermen for 5 years and hated every one of their fish recipes. I tend to think those recipes started out as a way to preserve fish and as often happens, what you grow up eating is what you tend to like. To anyone with an un-acquired taste, it's no surprise that it tastes like rotted fish. Isn't Lye used in the making of Lutefisk?

Now if we're talking fresh Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Pike, Tuna etc... I'm there Brother!

• Like 1