Hifiman Shangri-La, new Electrostatic

mtoc

2 hours ago, spritzer said:

I do love the BS already circulating around this.  Fang claims the diaphragm is metalized...what?  Same BS as the HE90 and certainly not true there as constant charge mode wouldn't work. 

Perhaps he uses scalar technology.....   nope, can that thought.......    :P

A 50K turd. Laughable, but he will probably sell quite a few. For a fraction of that 50K folks could get a BHSE/KGSSHV Carbon/SR-00x rig.

The other thing I found amusing is that it looks like TJ Full Music 300Bs are being used in the amp. I hope Feng has a large box of those with him at all times while doing his demos, because the reliability of those tubes can be woeful. I purchased a pair of the latest flagship TJ 300B - the King CNEs - both tubes failed in the first 100 hours. Got the first one replaced under warranty, then gave up. I don't really want to risk my amp by putting such fucked 300Bs in it. Lesson learned - back to EML / Takatsuki for me.

Buying All other KG Amplifiers and not giving any of them to my friends, and buying this... I'm so confused...

People went nuts, I'm most certainly sure, it's not about sound, it's about false prestige... First HEV 1, Then MSB, Then this... I've never listened any of them but i'm pretty sure its not about how they sound.

BTW, Granite chasis doesnt cost as much as Sennheiser charges.

Btw if its as heavy as it looks, shipping will be an issue... But for those who buy that, shipping won't be an issue...

And is its socket 5 pin pro?

Edited by Sechtdamon
Moar Roar

I wonder if Dr Feng even bothered to get a BHSE/KGSSHV Carbon/SR-009/SR-007 to compare against.

To remotely justify a 50K price tag, the HifiMan offering should encompass at least an equivalent level of workmanship, combined with a superior SQ. I bet it fails in both categories. More over priced shit in a market segment already saturated with over priced shit.

Modded HE6 was good for its time. A bastard to drive, but it is balanced with great bass and good mids. Treble is a little scratchy, but a heck of a lot better than LCD-whatever.

Basic market research is to look at equivalent products in your price segment and compare against them. Benchmarking. If your 5K or 50K headphone system isn't as good as some other guy's 5K or 50K system, then you have no business releasing your shit to market. You need to go back to the design / development / testing cycle and build a better light bulb, not release over priced shit in the hopes that some dumb cunts will buy it.

Sorry for the rant, but shit like this from HifiMan gets me a little irate. If this system doesn't beat a BHSE+SR-009/SR-007, then Dr Feng has no business releasing this shit, particularly at such a stupid price..

1 hour ago, DonkeyBalls said:

Sorry for the rant, but shit like this from HifiMan gets me a little irate. If this system doesn't beat a BHSE+SR-009/SR-007, then Dr Feng has no business releasing this shit, particularly at such a stupid price..

Actually he has every right, if someone’s stupid enough to pay the price so be it. I don’t have any issue with the asking price as I will never in a million years contemplate buying this crap.

Edited by johnwmclean
  • Like 4

I have read that the Chinese market is even more ready to part with disposable income than the US market and very often people just ask for the most expensive crap regardless of what it is. If that's true, Fang releasing this is simply capitalizing on an opportunity, regardless of what people may think about it ethically. That, or maybe he just doesn't want to be left behind in the prestige wars with Sennheiser, and if they're willing to abuse the good will of enthusiasts to release a pointless marketing statement, then he needs to do it too or risk falling behind.

Shit like this infuriates me because even though it is a pointless gimmick to most people, it changes the expectation of how headphones should be priced, and it makes it far more likely that manufacturers are going to position their high-performance offerings at a level where less and less enthusiasts can afford them. Though at this point it's too late to start bemoaning the trend of making high-performance headphones luxury goods, since aside from a few value propositions like the HD650, here we all are.

In other news, I heard Focal's next headphones will have plutonium-coated drivers - the warmth of radioactive decay gives them a lovely midrange tone, and the mutations they induce in your eardrums improve your perceptual capabilities by as much as 20%! Only available to the most discerning customers, of course. Now, I'm not that discerning a customer, all I have is a vintage 40 year old HD650, so I'm not as good of a man as a customer that has a new Orpheus. But I long to improve my lot in life, so that someday, someday I'll be the sort of man who listens to a Shangri-La, has a set of Focals for his Astell & Kern, and drives to Monaco in his Lamborghini. I can't afford anything that anybody makes at all anymore, but I'm just happier knowing that this hobby exists for better people, and somebody somewhere is enjoying the beautiful, beautiful music (with his happily mutated set of golden ears).

P.S. Is there a market in magnetic levitating blocks to elevate your cables?

Edited by catscratch
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, catscratch said:

I have read that the Chinese market is even more ready to part with disposable income than the US market and very often people just ask for the most expensive crap regardless of what it is. If that's true, Fang releasing this is simply capitalizing on an opportunity, regardless of what people may think about it ethically. That, or maybe he just doesn't want to be left behind in the prestige wars with Sennheiser, and if they're willing to abuse the good will of enthusiasts to release a pointless marketing statement, then he needs to do it too or risk falling behind.

Shit like this infuriates me because even though it is a pointless gimmick to most people, it changes the expectation of how headphones should be priced, and it makes it far more likely that manufacturers are going to position their high-performance offerings at a level where less and less enthusiasts can afford them. Though at this point it's too late to start bemoaning the trend of making high-performance headphones luxury goods, since aside from a few value propositions like the HD650, here we all are.

In other news, I heard Focal's next headphones will have plutonium-coated drivers - the warmth of radioactive decay gives them a lovely midrange tone, and the mutations they induce in your eardrums improve your perceptual capabilities by as much as 20%! Only available to the most discerning customers, of course. Now, I'm not that discerning a customer, all I have is a vintage 40 year old HD650, so I'm not as good of a man as a customer that has a new Orpheus. But I long to improve my lot in life, so that someday, someday I'll be the sort of man who listens to a Shangri-La, has a set of Focals for his Astell & Kern, and drives to Monaco in his Lamborghini. I can't afford anything that anybody makes at all anymore, but I'm just happier knowing that this hobby exists for better people, and somebody somewhere is enjoying the beautiful, beautiful music (with his happily mutated set of golden ears).

P.S. Is there a market in magnetic levitating blocks to elevate your cables?

It was a really good reading, thanks.

P.S. I'm sure there is, all you have to find is google words for it.

1 hour ago, catscratch said:

(snip)

The disturbing thought here is that he has priced his set higher than the Sennheiser HE-1 in China.

What if he realises that there are soccer stars, baseball stars, Dr Dre, Miss Piggy, Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, etc., who have the same mentality and decides to jack the price up to somewhere around 25% over the Sennheisers so he can rope that crowd in.  :blink:

On 14/10/2016 at 4:16 PM, grawk said:

who cares?

I care on 2 levels:

1) Stupidly priced shit like this sets a trend that might be having a "trickle up" effect. Maybe the Utopia would be 2K or 3K rather than 4K if it wasn't for the crazed pricing of gear like this (or the LCD-4, or Abyss, or HE1000 ... etc). It sets a pattern that can impact pricing on gear that we DO care about.

2) Shit gear that isn't in any way competitive with similar, or even lesser, priced gear annoys me on principle. It is sheer opportunistic laziness on the part of the manufacturer. How hard is it to get a KGSSHV/BHSE/SR-009/SR-007 rig and do some A/B comparisons? If the 50K rig doesn't best those setups significantly then you are pushing over priced horseshit and should be called out for it. Not that having a moan on HeadCase is going to save the world or cure cancer.

• Like 2