Hifiman Shangri-La, new Electrostatic

mtoc

4 hours ago, TMoney said:

Regardless of what everyone thinks of him, the guy has heard enough gear that I'm at least a little intrigued.

Problem is that he's a fucktard and a shill so you can't take anything he says seriously.  How much do you think Hifiman paid for that endorsement?  That shit sure isn't free... 

9 hours ago, TMoney said:

Jude says its the best headphone he has ever had in his office.

Regardless of what everyone thinks of him, the guy has heard enough gear that I'm at least a little intrigued.

How much time do you think he spends with each headphone he listens to when he does a review?

On the other hand Hifiman needs to sell me some of those headphone cables for diy.

When you make your living off advertising from manufacturers you are going to be compromised by definition. If he wants to stay in business he basically can't ever public rip a product or sponsor even if the manufacturers are frauds and the products are snake-oil. For that reason I don't ever expect true criticism from Jude and I'd never take anything he says as gospel. I've also only been around the hobby since 2008-09 so I don't have nearly the history with Jude as most members here.

That being said, I've agreed with a number of his product assessments in the past, particularly his love of the 009s. When he LOVES a product it is a data point I take notice of (among many others) in deciding what gear I seek out for a personal evaluation. I'm never going to buy a $10,000 electrostatic headphone, but after the video posted I have to say I'm a lot more interested in hearing it than I was a week ago.

I recently watched an old review of his on the taket h2 and the ultrasonic tweeter and it was fairly negative. However, Jude's approbations on the Shangri-la don't offer any substantive sentiments on sound quality.

The fact that this is the same company that made the jade -- some of the worst-made headphones in existence -- does not inspire a surfeit of confidence in build quality and long term longevity. No one wants to end up with a 10 grand paperweight. Also, copying some of the design elements of rival Stax and Sennheiser electrostatic headphones seems rather hackneyed. 

5 minutes ago, spritzer said:

This is indeed the problem with any publishing that relies on ad revenue alone, it is not in their interest to give a bad review.  Makes one wonder if any of them can be trusted, seems to be the lowest common denominator which flocks to the reviewing circus.  

I think Tyll has generally walked the right line on this. He tends to only do full reviews of products that review well. If he doesn't like something he generally limits his comment to a little blurb on it. The Ultrasone and Beats reviews are notable exceptions, but in general he seems to stick to this.

You start putting up negative reviews and your industry connections dry up in a hurry.

8 hours ago, spritzer said:

Yeah, headphone.guru, headphonia, what the fuck is trending this week are all the same inane crap.  You wouldn't believe how many requests I've gotten for review samples of my amps and they all get the same reply, fuck off and never contact me again. 

It is a marketing expense. If you keep selling everything you make at the prices you want then no reason to give them any deal off retail. If they want to hear it, they can buy one themselves or borrow one from someone who has one.

• 2 weeks later...

also one of the reasons why it's so fucking hard to choose a good set of dynamic headphones these days. sure, you can try as many as you can afford and have time to audition, but it's so hard to parse through all the bullshit reviews and threads that honestly, it just leads to paralysis. one of the reasons i started the migration to electrostats in general and stax in particular is that the paucity of headphones/amps (and even so, there is quite a lot to choose from) makes it easier to choose earspeakers and an amp that will suit my needs pretty easily. 

i've been a member of head-fi since 2003...i miss the early days of that site...what's on there these days is hardly recognizable. i pretty much stay in the DIY section there...

You just need to reset your sarcasm filter, re-tune your senses of humour and the ridiculous, and enjoy the site for the endless hours of enjoyment that can be had sifting through the hype, trolling, rumour, innuendo, false information, logical disconnects, and fallacies which infest the threads in copious quantities.

It is advised that, for your sanity's sake that you abstain from entering the Sound Science forum as it is a grossly fallacious abuse of that once renowned and respected term.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kugino said: also one of the reasons why it's so fucking hard to choose a good set of dynamic headphones these days.

It's super easy: HD 800.  

owned it. wasn't impressed. liked the th900 better. any idea how the hd800s sounds? I haven't been following it...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 2:37 AM, spritzer said:

Tyll is indeed the sole one I'd trust.  We may not always agree but I would never question Tyll's integrity.  That can't be said about the other fucktards. 

Couldn't agree with you more. Personally I trust opinions given by Tyll and Nathan and have benefited from that over the years. But there is one guy I can't stand at all, who only has positive things to say about everything he gets his hands on, "Michael Mercer". His tweets speak for themselves.

BTW hello, everyone at head case, this is my first post, joined here because am a bit fed up with what goes on in head-fi these days. Just got my first electrostatic system, which consists of a Spritzer modified SRM 1 MK2 , (Yet to see it) . Hope to have great discussions with you all. 

Cheers