Stepped Attenuators

postjack

Do you like stepped attenuators in your amps? I had one in my Corda HA-2 MKII SE which I've since sold, and find myself missing it. I never really had the problem of finding the "right" volume level that other listeners have. Right now, I think I will definitely have one in my next amp.

So, what is it for you?

I found the 24 steps ok in the HR amps but only if I was willing to adjust the gain to get a slightly different range (as the steps aren't even).

Sound wise, I find them to be significantly better, though I've never heard a pot better than the Blue Velvet. The RK-40 seems to have returned and looks to be a nice price/performance compromise.

I prefer steppers as I get used to listening at a certain step and can get everything setup perfect for each type of music. I find that 24 steps gives me enough range, but I can see how that would be a problem for some. When I move to the amp on my computer rig I find myself missing the clicks. :)

I am kind of getting sick of having two steppers though... so I might have ordered one of those sexy 4 channel singlepower stepped attenuators to put in my amp. >:D

It's hard, I've had them in a couple of my amps and definitely like them and certainly found that they sound better than your average alps blue but in the beta22 there was just wasn't enough range. Heck, listening to my HF-1s last night while reading I was at a half-click on my RK40 which is a detented continuous pot. They do tend to look the business though...

medium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 24-step stepped attenuator but I dont' see any benefits to justify the price. 24 steps are not nearly enough for me, unless it's an amp where I can set the gain really low. I would much rather use a good potentiometer like a TKD. The pots "feel" better since the turning is much smoother than a stepped attenuator, which feel notchy. Pots are better and cheaper in my opinion, as long as it's a well-matched one using conductive plastic or film. The carbon pots degrade the sound and have shorter life spans.

I bought a 24-step stepped attenuator but I dont' see any benefits to justify the price. 24 steps are not nearly enough for me, unless it's an amp where I can set the gain really low. I would much rather use a good potentiometer like a TKD. The pots "feel" better since the turning is much smoother than a stepped attenuator, which feel notchy. Pots are better and cheaper in my opinion, as long as it's a well-matched one using conductive plastic or film. The carbon pots degrade the sound and have shorter life spans.

welcome to headcase! :)

• 4 months later...

the 45 step single power stepped attenuator is perfect for me. Almost too granular. The 24 step is worthless though.

The standard 24-step Goldpoint SA that Singlepower used to use is indeed worthless (2.5 dB granularity at the most :mikey2:). However, once you combine a multi-position gain switch (+-20 dB in 10 dB steps) with a custom progression (5, 3, 2, 18x 1.5, 2, 3, 5 dB) it'll do the trick. >:D

• 2 months later...