Expensive and/or raved-about headphones that actually suck!

Bjorn

13 hours ago, spritzer said:

I think most high end Stax owners have 009's, doesn't mean they use them though...

It's funny because, I know a guy just like that. That 009 has spent more time in its box than it has plugged into anything.

And I'm vomit-inducingly sick of this source + amp bullshit as an excuse. It's no news a better source and a better amp pays of, especially with revealing electrostatics. But while some claim how the 009 can scale its way to Saturn and back, I've always found the 007 to be the more demanding - and rewarding - of the two. By far.  

And these people who use gear that intentionally changes the sound of their headphones to make them "shine". Really good gear doesn't change anything, an amp should be a wire with gain and a source should be at least close to transparent. If it's not, then there is no point anymore in arguing about the sound of the headphones now is there.   

And these people who use gear that intentionally changes the sound of their headphones to make them "shine". Really good gear doesn't change anything, an amp should be a wire with gain and a source should be at least close to transparent. If it's not, then there is no point anymore in arguing about the sound of the headphones now is there.  

C'mon...we all have our preference.:)  I have both and do in fact reach for the SR009 more but also listen to the SR007 from time to time.  Of course, I know several people who prefer the SR009 as well.  And I do have pretty good amps....T2, BHSE, and KGSSHV Carbon don't exactly sound completely alike either.  Are they all supposed to sound identical to be consider a wire with gain?  Maybe my source is lacking given I only have Yggy. 

3 hours ago, Bjorn said:

It's funny because, I know a guy just like that. That 009 has spent more time in its box than it has plugged into anything.

And I'm vomit-inducingly sick of this source + amp bullshit as an excuse. It's no news a better source and a better amp pays of, especially with revealing electrostatics. But while some claim how the 009 can scale its way to Saturn and back, I've always found the 007 to be the more demanding - and rewarding - of the two. By far.  

You must be a physicist.  Real world amp building is a catalog of compromises.  Some cans have very demanding impedance profiles, and there are amps which are better suited to those types of cans. 

And I echo Purk's statement.  Although this may not be what he was trying to say, "wire with gain" sounds like the "accuracy" school of thought -- that is certainly not the only school of thought, and just because you don't fall in with these other schools does not mean amp builders won't still cater to them.

Ok I'll correct myself a bit. Certainly different amps with different topologies will add their own little touches. But when the amp or source adds enough character that it changes the headphone into something different than intended, then I personally consider that component ill qualified for judging the performance of the headphone. I'm not blaming people for customizing the sonics of their chain, but don't enter a discussion about how something sounds without having the right basis for it. If you get what I mean. 

I wouldn't drive a sports car in a blizzard and then get into a discussion arguing about poor traction.

On January 31, 2016 at 0:20 PM, astrostar59 said:

Only wanted to say I really LIKE the 009s and how they extract so much soul out of the music. I don't get the slag offs. Yes, the 007s are good too, but IMO the 009 is ahead by some margin. Yes, depends on the amp and source. I don't have the figure (would her interested if anyone knows it), but I would estimate over 50% of BHSE users have the 009 as the number one headphone.

That makes me happy as being in the minority makes me feel special.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

Ok I'll correct myself a bit. Certainly different amps with different topologies will add their own little touches. But when the amp or source adds enough character that it changes the headphone into something different than intended, then I personally consider that component ill qualified for judging the performance of the headphone. I'm not blaming people for customizing the sonics of their chain, but don't enter a discussion about how something sounds without having the right basis for it. If you get what I mean. 

I wouldn't drive a sports car in a blizzard and then get into a discussion arguing about poor traction.

How about KGSSHVs sounding different from one to another (IXY vs. IXY and Sanyo vs. Sanyo units here)?  Can Power power supply, caps, resistors, and wiring make any different to the ended results?  I have yet to hear two KGSSHVs that sound alike and some are actually from the same builder.  One thing for sure is that they all did sound really good.  So which of the KGSSHVs is the correct "wire with gain" in this particular case?  Just my take 2 cents.

Edited by purk

The whole KGSSHV's sound so different is blown way out of proportion.  The only real difference is with warmup and thus the offset of the amp and the tolerance of the components.  Once they are all running at optimum temp zero them out and see how much difference there is in a volume matched blind test.  I've done that, I wonder how many others have done so... 

All of this reminds me of the tube rolling stupidity.  How many have actually compared tubes with identical specs?  I mean the same trans-conductance , not just throwing one fresh set in there and one burned out "NOS" set and claiming the NOS sounds so much more mellow.  Something to ponder... 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, purk said:

How about KGSSHVs sounding different from one to another (IXY vs. IXY and Sanyo vs. Sanyo units here)?  Can Power power supply, caps, resistors, and wiring make any different to the ended results?  I have yet to hear two KGSSHVs that sound alike and some are actually from the same builder.  One thing for sure is that they all did sound really good.  So which of the KGSSHVs is the correct "wire with gain" in this particular case?  Just my take 2 cents.

In my experience it’s the designated output current and thermal capabilities that makes the differences.

38 minutes ago, spritzer said:

The whole KGSSHV's sound so different is blown way out of proportion.  The only real difference is with warmup and thus the offset of the amp and the tolerance of the components.  Once they are all running at optimum temp zero them out and see how much difference there is in a volume matched blind test.  I've done that, I wonder how many others have done so... 

All of this reminds me of the tube rolling stupidity.  How many have actually compared tubes with identical specs?  I mean the same trans-conductance , not just throwing one fresh set in there and one burned out "NOS" set and claiming the NOS sounds so much more mellow.  Something to ponder... 

I actually did with couple of my local friends using two of your KGSSHV mini (prototype & current production) against the full-size 450V KGSSHV with the same Sanyo parts.  I'm pretty sure that the offset on your amps were right on the money so as that of the full-size unit.   We all were able to discern the difference actually especially going from the mini to the full-size one.  I was using the same XLR cables, power cords and all that too.  

Actually, I did this myself first then asked couple of my friends to come along to verify what I was hearing. Same results....we all preferred the full-size amp to the two KGSSHV mini and we all thought that the two mini were quite impressive as well.  We even can differentiate your prototype to the production mini too albeit the difference were harder to discern.

It could certainly be the Hotlanta effect. :P

Edited by purk

I got my hands on the old Tektronix all tube curve tracer, the high voltage version goes to 1700 volts.

I tested about 50 6ca7 tubes, no 2 indentical. not even close.

did the same thing with c2m1000, and to the resolution of the screen, fairly easy to get bunches of matched quads but there is still some variation.

• Like 1

You can't match tubes, that is pretty much the gist of it.  :) 

As for the KGSSHV, the mini uses a completely different power supply and standing current so no doubt there are some differences.  There we are talking about major circuit changes.  Also only volume matched (with a voltmeter that is) blind tests really apply for something like this.  Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. 

Also a warmer climate with higher than 23°C ambient might require the amps to be readjusted.  I can't mimic hot conditions here so they are adjusted at normal room temp. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Yeah. Megatron sucks :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 31 January 2016 at 5:20 AM, astrostar59 said:

Only wanted to say I really LIKE the 009s and how they extract so much soul out of the music. I don't get the slag offs. Yes, the 007s are good too, but IMO the 009 is ahead by some margin. Yes, depends on the amp and source. I don't have the figure (would her interested if anyone knows it), but I would estimate over 50% of BHSE users have the 009 as the number one headphone.

You really do post some rubbish over on head-fi.

• Like 2

I keep reading everywhere (here/head-fi/random reviews) that the 007>009. 

I moved from HD800 to 009. It did, in the very essence of the word, everything better.

Bass: More of it, more accurate (tight)

Mids: Ethereally magical, not only more details by far, but has an intangible essence that makes it sound alive

Treble: Far less harsh, more articulated, accurate

I really couldn't be happier with my 009/Carbon coming from the HD800.

For those that own both 007/009, would you say it's worth it to sell the 009 and buy the 007? I wouldn't be asking, but this thread + everywhere just shits on the 009 =/