Wells Audio amps....any experience?

HemiSam

2 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

if JC actually believed they did any good, they would have been installed in the Blowtorch preamp. Or the Constellation Audio stuff. Or any of the other stuff he has designed.

guess all the expensive dinners and a ride in the Bentley were all just a friendly thing.

judging from the now closed thread at DIYAudio, Curl seems eager enough to stand up for the merrits of ByPoo Technohoro; "quantum purification by stripping off electrons" and "creating a magnetic field of force to alter the polarity of electrons and protons" and having "energized equipment resonating with C13" ...

6 minutes ago, justin said:

yeah, but what if i put in Bybees and stopped washing the flux off my circuit boards?

bybee-Music-Rail-01-400x400.jpg

i'll just leave this here. that's the name of the part.

You might call it "Blue Hawaii Five-O" then ...

Edited by sorenb

10 hours ago, spritzer said:

No but can you see any other reason for that?  I mean these are 1ohm 5% carbon resistors so it is clearly a scam with no proven benefits. 

But... everyone knows that carbon resistors give a nice organic sound signature....    think 1960's transistor radio........     :wub:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wink said:

But... everyone knows that carbon resistors give a nice organic sound signature....    think 1960's transistor radio........     :wub:

That's germanium transistors. One guy from a Russian forum had a rather decent headamp schematic based on these things.

I'd say it definitely depends on the capacitor itself. I have read on diyaudio and have used/still have a small inventory of mill spec Europe make Roederstein, Siemens and Rifa capacitors that have a shelf life of 20+ years with manufacture batch codes from 1978 the earliest with no problems but need to be reformed before any voltage is applied to them. Have had them measured for impedance, variance/tolerance, capacitance, esr, vloss and all are within specifications. Cracked some of them open and the electrolyte liquid are still present within and outside the foil.

On 29/2/2016 at 10:07 AM, justin said:

yeah, but what if i put in Bybees and stopped washing the flux off my circuit boards?

bybee-Music-Rail-01-400x400.jpg

i'll just leave this here. that's the name of the part.

Does that POS stand for what I think it does?

i.e. it's a piece of moist brown...?

...and the complementary part marked NEG stands for Not Even Genuine....?

... or, perhaps, Not Even Good...?

Edited by wink
moar info

• 3 years later...

oopsies...

On 3/1/2016 at 6:19 AM, dsavitsk said:

Is there actual evidence of this?

Actual evidence...? this is headphones and amps we're talking about here.......... Rumour and innuendo are superfluously sufficient.......

Edited by wink
Ooopsies

• 3 years later...

Have opinions of Wells changed over the years? For reference, here are some photos from their website of the Commander tube linestage preamplifier, Headtrip II headphone amplifier, Cipher tube DAC, and Dragon tube headphone amplifier. They appear to still be using Bybee purifiers...

commander.jpg

headtrip.jpg

cipher.jpg

dragon.jpg

11 hours ago, mwl168 said:

Amanero USB receiver, TPA Buffalo DAC, Mercury I/V stage. Plus a tube output buffer?  

Yep! Nothing says bespoke high end product like a bunch of DIY modules thrown in a box with moar toobs. Was discussing this sort of silliness on another forum recently; also see implementations of Soekris DIY modules from €6900 up to $34000.

I mean, I love my own Soekris and TPA builds, but I sure as shit wouldn't pay several thousand dollars for them......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2