Necessity amp [edit: ended up M3]

mdr30

I've been down this road before and it is a dangerous way to DIY, as in I have these two parts, let's spend 400$ on parts for it... 

As for those specs, the M3?  It uses a single brick psu but sounds pretty shitty thanks to the rail splitting. 

That's like buying the new Senn Orpheus and dicing the stupid marble base for a noice chartreuse pvc item a friend crafted on his new 3D printer...

Replace the stock volume control with an RK27, . . .

Ditch the glitzy valve covers for perforated nickel plated steel items...

Hoik the volume control knob for a pvc item in lurid purple made by the friend with the 3D printer.

Replace the fuses with silver coated titanium wire and insist that they are unidirectional items.

Scrap the headphones for the earliest version of the Kingsound, but block the backs so that they become closed units.

Replace the power cable with a Virtual Dynamics "JUDGE" sourced from Coconut Audio.

And - as the piece de resistance - paint the chassis with a dark green chalkboard paint so that it shows up no dust.....

I wonder how Sennheiser would handle any warranty claims  on this one.    :rolleyes:

I'd be inclined to stick ESP950 badges on it and send it to Koss, and see if they come to the party.......:D

• 2 years later...

Finally got down to assemble this thing, followed Spritzer's suggestion of the M3. Nice making use of the old Noble pot (once doing service in a modified PAS3 in the eighties) and the psu mistakenly bought - 15 bucks - for the Dynalo.

Doesn't sound bad at all.

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

• Like 1