CanLanta 2016 - 5/21/16

MexicanDragon

I know this dude! I walked in and saw Tyll with John, the organizer of this event, and I get greeted with a big hug and a "guess what I had for breakfast today. Biscuits and gravy!"

03dc224300445b2f3069c3f61779aeb9.jpg

Totally looks better than the silver one. You guys are crazy re: silver enthusiasts.

13cd60ef8b5eb267b508d5706007145e.jpg

The mystical and magical Ingwe!!! (Also, my hair was wrecked after 2 hours of driving with a window down, and then headphones on and off all day; perhaps I should move to the Ingwean/Namaanian model of hairstyles.)

94666fc434ffedb1a9c121ac00a9fe28.jpg

Brazillian steakhouse for dinner? Don't mind if I do. With Justin, Purk, and Matt.

8dc51190c72e319b21937b111967d7ba.jpg

0c41a2a177d30969215c1a1f5bf04463.jpg

These been ribs were just stupidly good. Chris was very happy when he found out I was eating about 3 pounds of protein.

2293910ed6112ceca7c92f6043939a49.jpg

Server: "Lamb?"

Me: "Of course."

a7aaef8cd56d609312de2896f6f54428.jpg

Sun In My Belly
I met up with an old friend to go out for brunch after Justin and I parted ways this afternoon. It turns out he wound up at the same place, but ate outside. We found this out when I posted on FB, and he said he'd just left after Jasmin and I had gone off couch shopping. I love shopping.

Kirkwood Breakfast
Softly scrambled eggs with herbed boursin cheese, honey glazed bacon, buttermilk biscuit, house made strawberry jam. I didn't think it looked that great, but it was SO good. Jasmin recommended going "bacon egg biscuit" with it, and it was totally the right call. The cheesy eggs just killed it with the biscuit, and the bacon is actually folded over in the pic below, and was actually wide enough for a partial strip to cover most of the biscuit.

401d76e50cdea2e8f0e8a02614bdc5f3.jpg

3c5d6fa1d34ebc57792791caa918b42e.jpg

Mmmm... mimosas that you have to build yourself. I wound up killing the OJ, as we just used a "splash" in each glass.

7f9d7cb042abd898fe734cd26fc48e50.jpg

085b0f259a542bb81b6c128d6f50256e.jpg

Also, there were some headphones, IIRC. BHSE killed it, per usual, on the stat side. I listened to the HE-1000 out of the GS-X Mk 2 finally. Probably the best Ortho I've heard. Easily worth 500$. I'm sure it's several multiples of that, but not sure it'd be what I'd turn to.

On the dynamic side, ECP Audio made a combination that made me like HD800s (plural, not model name.) That's only happened once before, with a Denon TT out of Matt/NWT's MPX3. If I didn't hate how the HD800 looked, and had an unlimited budget, and already had a BHSE + Stax setup, I'd give Doug a bunch of cash, and a voucher for a nice steak dinner.

I didn't listen to everything like some people did, but there was a ton of stuff there, and for the people still on the hunt for something new/different, I think it was a great event. Enjoyed seeing everyone and hope we get to do it again next year.

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon
  • Like 6

Great time indeed Brent!  I wish I had join you guys after the steak dinner as well as Sunday's morning.  Daddy's duties never stop my friend.  I had such a great time at the event, mostly chatting with you, Tyll, Doug, Justin, and Matt as well as others.  I did check out a bit of gear toward the end and the Mr. Speaker E-Stat did sound very nice but not SR009 or SR007 good.   Wish I had more time to check out Noble as well as other CIEMs companies.  Will definitely attend next year, but hopefully with less stuff to haul this time.  I just absolutely didn't enjoy packing and unpacking as well as being tie-down on my own table.

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

Purk, you're finally embracing my philosophy on meets. Well played :)

Oh, I left something out in my sleep deprived postings. Really had a blast finding a fellow yoyo enthusiast in the hobby. TomB had a couple throws I'd never tried and we got to throw together. I think we generated a little interest in yet another hobby of ours. :)

*"BRENT**

• Like 1

I've been embracing it but this time there were too many great gears not to check out.  But like I said I enjoy hanging out with you guys more but I had to spend majority of my time behind my own table though.  BTW, how do you liking your HPA-2C?  I found it to be quite capable for an amp/dac priced at $289.  Speaking of the raffle, one guy bought only four (4) tickets ($5 each) and won gear worth in excess of $1200.  Three of his tickets were drawn.  What a lucky dude!

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

Doug's gear is so flippin' beautiful !!!!

On 5/23/2016 at 1:34 AM, MexicanDragon said:

Totally looks better than the silver one. You guys are crazy re: silver enthusiasts.

13cd60ef8b5eb267b508d5706007145e.jpg

You really can't go wrong either way, but I absolutey love the Silver and Wenge DAC! Beautiful!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TMoney said:

Is the tube amp the fabled L-3 under a different name?

Nope, according to him and the L-3 is still in the work.  The DSHA-2 is pretty great sounding too but the Copenhagen Solidstate and tube were just so so great.  Doug...3 weeks can't come soon enough!

30 minutes ago, TMoney said: Is the tube amp the fabled L-3 under a different name?

Nope, according to him and the L-3 is still in the work.  The DSHA-2 is pretty great sounding too but the Copenhagen Solidstate and tube were just so so great.  Doug...3 weeks can't come soon enough!

Did he tell you anything about their circuits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

Is the tube amp the fabled L-3 under a different name?

The fabled L3 is likely going to be called the Apsara. I have built that topology in a power amp before, but the headphone amp has considerable refinements over that circuit (which is lovely nevertheless).

The tube amp I had at the show was the Copenhagen which is a pentode amp. Also lovely - pentodes are underappreciated.

• Like 1

Just now, dsavitsk said:

The fabled L3 is likely going to be called the Apsara. I have built that topology in a power amp before, but the headphone amp has considerable refinements over that circuit (which is lovely nevertheless).

The tube amp I had at the show was the Copenhagen which is a pentode amp. Also lovely - pentodes are underappreciated.

Any chance of sending her out to us in the Bay Area so we can bring her to the summer HF meet in San Francisco on July 16?

@nikongod @screaming oranges, I did not do the AriPower justice in the video, but I was not aware that that was going to happen until @Tyll Hertsens shoved a camera in my face. Next time, I'll do it right. Also, Tyll, why didn't you use the "Allstate Guy" setting on Autotune to change my voice? Some people.

Going to find some time soon to watch the whole video, but it was a good time, and maybe I'll listen to some stuff next year beyond the stuff from Justin, Doug, and Purk.

Also, next year I plan on winning more stuff.

**BRENT**