Get your game on!

Fitz

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good.

Yeah, there are a few cracks that I would like some advise on dealing with. I am thinking maybe a thin epoxy? I watched a few videos on fine woodworking about the approach for knots and other types of checks, but should consult real expert on the matter. There are four checks in this picture.

8d9592bb7775b86a1a02f40e57e565f2.jpg

4 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Yeah, there are a few cracks that I would like some advise on dealing with. I am thinking maybe a thin epoxy? I watched a few videos on fine woodworking about the approach for knots and other types of checks, but should consult real expert on the matter. There are four checks in this picture.

8d9592bb7775b86a1a02f40e57e565f2.jpg

I think that is more to do with (a) the thickness of the block - to (air) season timber you reckon on 1 year for every inch of thickness for hardwoods (b) it is basically half a log which is almost guaranteed to have massive internal stresses and (c) the growth ring density varies hugely from the center to the edge of the photo, and that puts enormous internal stresses on the wood.  That log has seen some major seasonal changes - the growth ring density varies by a factor of 50 or so - might even be higher.

The way to think of wood as as a stack of straws following the grain of the wood - in life they carry the sap up the tree.  In the photo you are looking at the end of the straws, and it is through that cut end that moisture is lost.  Since the density of "straws" varies according to the density of growth rings, moisture is lost differentially across the log, building stress.

What I'm saying is that it is almost inevitable that the wood I'm looking at is going to crack in some way, usually following the growth rings.

Often blocks are supplied with a wax capping over the end grain to prevent the wood from cracking during transport, but that is no guarantee.  I brought some cocobolo (an eye wateringly expensive rosewood) blocks into the house too quick, and I could hear them ticking as the damned stuff cracked.  I've also cut thick veneers (~2mm) out of blocks, and after a short time they warp concave or wavy as a result of internal stresses

There is basically nothing you can do though.  Even if you were to run some theoretical glue down the cracks, the wood would simply find the next highest internal stress and crack there.  Look upon it as a feature that adds character to the wood.

Forgot to mention that when I'm making something (I'm a trained amateur) I cut and plane all the parts oversize and then bring them into the house for a month or so, so that the humidity is right and the wood gets its final moisture content sorted out.  The parts move around a bit, hence machining oversize.  Then I plane and thickness to final size and assemble and finish.  All this is the same reason you make drawers with enough vertical clearance.  Seasonal changes in humidity  can cause the height of the drawer to change by a percent or so - and if you make a nice piston fit when the humidity is low it will jam absolutely and immovably solid when the humidity goes up.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to play through Dark Souls since I've been fairly sick lately and would have more patience to get past the learning curve.

I finally understand the hype around the series, and it's immensely satisfying to go from struggling to get past the basic enemies to becoming a silent specter of death.

mct9N2a.jpg

• Like 1

^ I want to try Dark Souls 3 but I'm going to wait for them to patch the game in to shape. Right now it isn't a bad PC port but it certainly isn't good. I've found most developers patch their game in to shape right around the time they release their first major DLC.

Speaking of which...

Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg

I finished Fallout 4 this weekend. It took a few months, but Bethesda finally patched the game enough that I could run it without running in to choppy performance or game breaking bugs.

The world of the Commonwealth in Fallout 4 is just magnificent. It might be the most impressive virtual game world I've seen in any game. I sunk 35 hours in to my playthrough and I feel like I've explored less than 1/4 of the locations. The amount of stuff that they crammed in to the game is mind-boggling. I barely completed any of the side-missions and I still clocked 35 hours to finish the main story.

Speaking of which, the story is the weakest part of this game... it really lets the game down, especially the ending. Compared to the gold standard for story in massive RPG games (The Witcher III) this gets a bronze medal at best. You have to choose one of four factions to ally with, all of whom suck. The main quest line is, outside from a few standout missions, pretty forgettable.

Still, I really enjoyed my playthrough. I feel disappointed by the story and let down by the ending, but I have to applaud all the work that went in to this game. 4.5/5.

Relative to the big games from last year I'd put this 2nd after (the amazing) Witcher 3 but ahead of MGS V on my own personal list. Highly recommended.

20 hours ago, TMoney said:

Speaking of which, the story is the weakest part of this game... it really lets the game down, especially the ending. Compared to the gold standard for story in massive RPG games (The Witcher III) this gets a bronze medal at best. You have to choose one of four factions to ally with, all of whom suck. The main quest line is, outside from a few standout missions, pretty forgettable.

In other words, it's a Bethesda game. They really need to find a new writer.

• Like 1