Get your game on!

Fitz

HTC Vive on Sunday, switching to the Oculus Rift for the rest of the week. Can youbimagine this stuff when you were ten? In five years this is going to be so ridiculous. I can't wait!

c34d2147148fd189d1b5504dd79977e0.jpg

Xavier is playing Lucky's Tale right now. He's so incredibly happy with this.

I'll post his impressions later tonight or tomorrow.

I have Elite: Dangerous and Eve: Somethingorother ready to go when he goes to bed and I stay up til 4am playing. Going to try to get PCars working too; machine crashed hard with video card glitches for a few reboots when I tried PCars last night; hoping for a better outcome this time around.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

Hey guys, I have two more nights with the Oculus Rift for now. Let's play some stuff tonight!

PCars for sure

I can see how it does with SWBF and perhaps Descent: Underground. EVE: Somethingorother is working for me, but I can't get Elite: Dangerous to let me log in.

Anything anyone wants to know about it while I have it?

**BRENT**

I'm in for Project Cars tonight. 930 EST work? I want to run over Brent in VR.

I'm thinking I wait until people are selling their gen 1 Vives when the gen 2 comes out... One big plus of that is that I could sit my rig in a corner and not have to screw up the media room all the time. I don't know.

Edit: The truth is that I give myself a month or two before I end up buying something....

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 2

Chris, I'd probably get the Vive in your case. It works so much better out of the box. I still prefer the headset of the Rift, though.

T$, I'd personally wait a generation or two, but that's b/c of financial constraints. If I wanted something cool, and the games I wanted to play were VR capable, I'd definitely be tempted. Try it out locally, though.

Oh, the Vive is more hardware adjustable. It feels "Apple vs HTC" right now. The hardware is great for both, but the design is better with the Rift. The Rift has fewer options to deal with, and it uses a simpler means of adjustment, but it feels more polished to me. If you stay in its ecosystem, it's great, but doesn't play well with others. The Vive is nerdier, but you're going to need some room to maneuver with it.

Just get both.

**BRENT**

Edit: I think 9:30 Eastern will work. Hit me up on FB if you don't see me.

Edited by MexicanDragon

Didn't get a chance to post pix from last night, but the rift worked perfectly (after about 20 minutes of frustration and driver updates) with Project Cars. That was the most fun I've had playing a video game in ages. The sense of speed was tame relative to real life, but it was definitely immersive and Laguna Seca and Bathurst were incredible going through the tight, twisty drops. My stomach fell out on them.

It was a lot of fun with a GTX 970. With a 980ti or 1080, the realism would come back and it would be stupidly good. For racing games, I'd want one.

Oh, spent two hours wearing it with no discomfort.

Thanks for the game, Chris, Gram, T$, and Stupid Colin. Pix later if someone reminds me.

**BRENT**

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TMoney said:

Wait till next week and Grahame and I can tell you what we think about the Oculus.

There are both Vive and Oculus demo sites nearby. I may duck out of work and take a look at the Vive tomorrow if possible (no appointments allowed) and there are a bunch of Oculus times available.

I am leaning towards Vive just because it seems like a better deal with the controllers and larger space but it does weigh more which Brent and others noted could get fatiguing.

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 1

My extremely simplistic summation of the reviews was that the Oculus may be the better choice for seated experiences (more comfortable) while the Vive is better for standing experiences due to the superior tracking, controllers, and external camera.

I think those were Brent's general impressions as well.

I'd be interested to hear what you think if you get to try both.

• Like 1

Well, Grahame and I tried the Oculus at the San Francisco Best Buy.

I had high expectations and the Oculus blew them away. I am very impressed. It is much more immersive than I thought it would be. I bet the experience only gets better in a dark quiet room instead of a loud, noisy Best Buy.

They didn't have any stock so I didn't walk away with one, but if there are some good announcements at E3 next week I may have to jump in.

• Like 2

Well, Grahame and I tried the Oculus at the San Francisco Best Buy.

I had high expectations and the Oculus blew them away. I am very impressed. It is much more immersive than I thought it would be. I bet the experience only gets better in a dark quiet room instead of a loud, noisy Best Buy.

They didn't have any stock so I didn't walk away with one, but if there are some good announcements at E3 next week I may have to jump in.

My understanding was that where I got mine probably still has stock. If you are interested.

• Like 1