Get your game on!

Fitz

I had to double check which thread I was in when I saw that picture.

I've been playing through Life is Strange, currently through episode 4 of 5, and it's been a rollercoaster of emotions so far. I am anticipating a lot of ass-pulls in the final episode to resolve all the story threads, but I really do like the unique spin on a telltale-style game. It starts off like a mix of Twin Peaks and Donnie Darko, and just gets stranger from there.

The first episode is free and the rest on sale right now, so it's risk-free to try it out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fitz said:

I've finished Life is Strange... wow. It's been a long time since a game affected me this much.

Yes, totally agreed!

One of the best story based games in a long time.

While your choices may not dramatically effect the ultimate outcome, I found they were very meaningful in how each player experiences the game.

I think it managed the choices amazingly well, because they felt more natural in their outcomes and not just like simply picking story branches. It helped get away from just trying to pick what you were "supposed" to and instead subtly tailoring the story around how you roleplayed Max.

• Like 1

That is the Imperial Clipper, a heavy multi-role ship that requires a non-trivial amount of rank within the Imperial Navy to even purchase, and is basically the most iconic Empire ship in the game. I fly it proudly, especially when shooting Federal dogs for whom even death is too good for.

Glory to the Empire, death to the Federation.

Edited by Fitz

• 2 weeks later...

So it's true, No Man's Sky is a shitty PC port. Playable, but only just. The frame rate isn't great, the game seems to pause and stutter on object load, the pop-in is bad, and the interface is not intuitive. There seems to be really bad mouse smoothing, mouse sensitivity options don't work as advertised and the FOV, while thankfully adjustable, doesn't seem to be as high as indicated. 100 indicated feels like 90 at most. But I can live with 90.

The game is more or less right up my alley, endless wandering around in procedurally generated environments occasionally saying, "wow, cool!" The combat, such as it is, is laughable and the amount of actual stuff in the game so far is quite low. But it feels like the foundation is there for a really great game. Think Terraria 1.0, which means that I can't wait for 1.1 and up. But, there's a lot of technical issues on PC to be fixed first.

You can tell the team is new to the whole PC thing, when they were showing off their own game they were playing it internally with a controller. So the clueless PC interface is understandable, as are the technical problems. They seem to be listening though, and hopefully they'll learn. So far they did something HIGHLY ambitious for a small team and mostly pulled it off - however they oversold it as the game to beat all games, makes sliced bread look last century, etc. It's certainly not all that. In terms of combat mechanics, story, npc interaction, etc it's all very simplistic at best. It's more of a slow, meditative discovery simulator with a bit of Minecraft. If you run through it looking for cool fights or scripted events to do, you'll be bored. But if, like me, you loved wandering around aimlessly in an Elder Scrolls game going "wow" at the pretty pictures, this game gives you an endless stream of that, and occasionally some bits of crafting and resource gathering to do, with combat mostly as a nuisance.

I'd say wait on this one unless the description sounds exactly like your jam. Then try it out but be prepared for some PC port issues on the side.

On the PS4 it's more stable and more optimized, however you will be dealing with 70 fov (supposedly, feels like less), 30 fps and aiming with a controller. None of that is acceptable for me but if you don't mind it, it seems to be the better running version at the moment.

Edited by catscratch
  • Like 1

I have no idea why I don't play Elite considering how much I played the Wing Commander and Privateer games back in the day. Someday I'll get into it I'm sure.

NMS is a paper-thin gaming experience but the tech behind it is fascinating and will probably be a landmark moment in games. I'm sure a lot of developers are looking at it and thinking "what else can I do with this."

Also Starbound finally left early access and I recommend it. It's a very polished experience now and is quite good for someone looking to get into the Minecraft/Terraria style of games but is put off by the sheer complexity inherent to the genre. Now Starbound isn't really less complex, but it is a more guided experience that tells you what to do, whereas Terraria is truly obtuse to newcomers. At the end of the day, Terraria is still a better game IMO but Starbound has better combat mechanics and more of a focus on exploration.

Quantum Break

Quantum_Break_cover.jpg

If you've liked Remedy's games in the past (Max Payne, Alan Wake) this is another great one. It took months for the PC version to finally be patched up to a decent state, but it was worth the wait.

I am a sucker for time travel stories, and this game has some very interesting takes on that formula.

Gameplay is fun, fast, and fluid. The live action TV show segments were just ok. They didn't really add to the experience but they weren't a big annoyance either.

4/5. Very fun game. Overlooked due to XBone exclusivity but great that its now in good shape on PC.

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider.jpg

Great game!

If you liked the first reboot, then this one takes that game and cranks everything up a notch or two.

The game looks and runs great, is fun to play and has a serviceable story.

The level design is the real star here. Every part of the game is wonderful to explore. The highlight of the game for me was the tombs themselves. They are beautiful and fun to figure out, even if they tend to be rather simple.

I spent just under 20 hours on my play-though and enjoyed every minute.

4.5/5. Very highly recommended! A better story would have made this a classic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally play iOS games, but holy balls, the "Sorcery!" series is amazing.

If you enjoyed choose-your-own-adventure books as a kid then these games are just what the doctor ordered.

I'm about to start the third after completing the first two.

Just wonderful games. This series, along with "80 Days," are some of the very best mobile games ever. 5/5.

logo.png

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2016 at 2:37 PM, TMoney said:

Quantum Break

If you've liked Remedy's games in the past (Max Payne, Alan Wake) this is another great one. It took months for the PC version to finally be patched up to a decent state, but it was worth the wait.

I am a sucker for time travel stories, and this game has some very interesting takes on that formula.

Thanks for the tip... I'll have to keep this one in mind since I love the Max Payne and Alan Wake games, and time travel always makes for interesting story opportunities.

On 8/19/2016 at 3:22 AM, catscratch said:

I have no idea why I don't play Elite considering how much I played the Wing Commander and Privateer games back in the day. Someday I'll get into it I'm sure.

The nice thing about Elite: Dangerous is there isn't really a "too late" point to getting into it, at the rate things have gone. Lately the devs have been focusing heavily on quality of life improvements in addition to major features, and the number of third party sites to streamline tracking all kinds of information from the game just keep growing.

It's definitely a time sink though (I'm over 1300 hours logged)... playing casually and accomplishing anything can be tough.

• Like 1

I got the remasters of Bioshock 1 and 2 for free, because I own the originals on Steam.  Sadly, "free" is about all they're worth.  The PC ports are a complete mess.  Mouse acceleration that can only be disabled by futzing with config files, few graphics options, sound issues.... bugs that have existed for 10 years in the original.  Bleh.

RPS on the subject.  

Redderp thread on how to un-fuck it.

This is all really too bad as I have wanted to play Bioshock 1 for 3 years now, but it will NOT run on my Windows machine.