Get your game on!

Fitz

Shelly, did you return your Logitech G27 you bought about 4 years ago?

Did you even open it? If so, and you liked it (but got rid of it), the Logitech G29 is going to be a great starter wheel/pedal combo. It will work with PS4 and PC, should you make the jump.

Now, what TV/monitor do you want to play on? Do you want just a stand and to use it on the couch with a TV, or do you want a proper setup?

Not worth the effort Shelly.  This crew is perhaps the least capable race car drivers that has ever existed.  I would not be surprised to hear most of them actually do not have steering wheels as they all simply just crash into each other the entire race to get around corners.  Full speed, no brakes smash into each other to get around corners and repeat.  [emoji48]

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I was thinking of getting a Logitech G29 and PlayStation Evolution. Seems like a decent starter kit. I did use the G27 a bit but didn’t really have a good way to stabilize it. I do have Windows I installed on a drive in my iMac so that might work. Now I just need to figure out what to get rid of in the house do that wife will let me get it.

Logitech Dual-Motor Feedback Driving Force G29 Gaming Racing Wheel with Responsive Pedals for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWWYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_87i8DbW615E1V

If you're talking about the Playseat Evolution, I think Chris may have had that for a few hours before realizing he needed to upgrade.

May could at least get started on the Mac with Windows.

I'm sure you'll have better luck than Jeff. I don't think he ever figured out how to install the games, poor guy.

• Like 1

I don’t do any type of gaming, but i am considering getting a gaming console for the girls. I know this is a slippery slope, akin to inviting a vampire into your home...but after visiting with friends which have an older XBOX I really liked the active-type games for kids. They had one that was soccer like in that required kicking the ball in the direction of squares to knock them down. Also something similar to tennis. After about 20 mins they were sweating buckets.

SO, i went online to check out the consoles, and I am overwhelmed by the choices... Anyone here kind enough to to give me a TL;DR for a good choice? I don’t understand the differences between the current XBOX models...
I am basically looking at a console that could do the interactive physical games for kids, with activities like kicking a virtual ball, dancing, jumping, etc.

Much Obliged in advance!!

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Appreciated the help. Cheers. I guess i am slow at taking a hint, eh? :)

Logitech Dual-Motor Feedback Driving Force G29 Gaming Racing Wheel with Responsive Pedals for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0UWWYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_87i8DbW615E1V
If you're talking about the Playseat Evolution, I think Chris may have had that for a few hours before realizing he needed to upgrade.
May could at least get started on the Mac with Windows.
I'm sure you'll have better luck than Jeff. I don't think he ever figured out how to install the games, poor guy.

Upgrade the Evolution yo what and why?

On 12/11/2019 at 5:06 PM, CD44hi said:

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Appreciated the help. Cheers. I guess i am slow at taking a hint, eh? :)

I'd help if I knew anything about it, but I don't. PC only. I'm guessing Nintendo Switch might have the most flexibility for how it's used given that it doubles as a portable but I don't know what it has for kid-friendly games.

Speaking of games, I've been on Grim Dawn kick lately. It's a Diablo-style action RPG (and it has some former Blizzard North people behind it), and it does capture the dark post-apocalyptic fantasy feel of Diablo very nicely. However, whereas Blizzard has been doing its best to streamline and simplify all of its games lately, Grim Dawn... sort of goes in the other direction. It's a huge game with an incredible amount of variety in character creation and layers upon layers of mechanics. It's got lots of depth to geek out over and is a great game overall. And no annoying microtransactions or AAA bullshit anywhere.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, CD44hi said:

I don’t do any type of gaming, but i am considering getting a gaming console for the girls. I know this is a slippery slope, akin to inviting a vampire into your home...but after visiting with friends which have an older XBOX I really liked the active-type games for kids. They had one that was soccer like in that required kicking the ball in the direction of squares to knock them down. Also something similar to tennis. After about 20 mins they were sweating buckets.

SO, i went online to check out the consoles, and I am overwhelmed by the choices... Anyone here kind enough to to give me a TL;DR for a good choice? I don’t understand the differences between the current XBOX models...
I am basically looking at a console that could do the interactive physical games for kids, with activities like kicking a virtual ball, dancing, jumping, etc.

Much Obliged in advance!!

Hey! Sorry, looks like I missed this.

The older XBox had something called Kinect, which had cameras and IR and whatnot, and that was used more for those types of games; they discontinued that a while ago.

For the "get the kids to sweat/active" games, I really enjoy VR for that. I played a boxing game and after a while of that, I was legit sore. That's a bit higher of a barrier to entry, though.

There is a Playstation VR setup, but the ones we really like are typically PC based.

Now, as was previously mentioned, the Switch is a great, kid-friendly/kid-centric system that adults can use as well. A fun, active game is "Dance Party 20xx" (2020 just recently came out, and it's just 30$ right now.) For that one, you can use the controllers that came with it, but probably a good idea to get a spare set of controllers (2 for about 68$ on sale) that let you have mini controllers for more people to enjoy, or you can also use them to play 4-player games (Mario Party/Super Smash Brothers/Mario Kart are some favorites of many.)

Nintendo's Ring Fit Adventure for Switch is probably the thing you'd be most interested in.

Also, there is a "Switch" and a "Switch Lite." Don't do the Switch Lite. It's a little cheaper, but doesn't have the removeable controllers, so it's a bit limited for what you're wanting.

I have two Switches, 7-10 games, extra controllers, etc. Don't use it much, but have enjoyed it a good bit when I do.

TL;DR: Get a Switch, Ring Fit Adventure, Dance Party 2020, and maybe a game or two you'd like to play :)

• Like 1

I agree with what MexicanDragon has said, Nintendo are pretty much the kings of kid friendly motion based games. In addition to his excellent game recommendations something like 1-2-switch can be very great as an enjoyable party game for kids and adults alike. It's not quite as heavy on the physical activity as some other games but it does make good use of motion controls and is sure to engage.

Other than that the switch also has some more "traditional" fun games that kids are sure to enjoy, a personal favorite is Super Mario Odyssey (which also supports a 2-player mode).

• Like 2

Also, the new Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2020 (or something like that) may work well for younger kids, though may not do as well with the older ones (teens + adults.) But, we're not who it's aimed at.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/11/6/20951521/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020-review-events-characters-switch

There are a lot of games like 1-2-Switch that I haven't used, or aren't too aware of, but the library is vast, and I imagine some of the old Wii games would be great. My kids always loved playing Tennis with my mom (about a 50+ year difference in ages; all had a blast.)

Also, I prefer getting the games on cards, as opposed to digital downloads. It lets you change them out in case you get another Switch down the road and have multiple accounts (see above re: I have two switches (across 4 people).)

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fitz said:

That's not too bad. Colin's never even learned how to stay within half a mile of his team in KF. Or how to heal other players.

Hahaha. Colin played with me and a couple guys the other day. He played as a Level 6 medic (hahaha, right?) I think everyone died. The pubs left after about 2 rounds.

@Knuckledragger - LMK if you want to kill floors. I'll get the people who know how to play to join up, and can hop on our Discord server so you don't have to deal with that pesky in-game audio.

• 3 weeks later...