Get your game on!

Fitz

2 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

Woof.  Forza Horizon 4 requires Window 10 and won't even launch on 8.1.   I had to refund it.  Big RIP there.

2 hours ago, Fitz said:

More specifically, it requires DirectX 12, which is only fully supported on Windows 10. That was one of Microsoft's tricks to force more people to update to it.

Or you could, you know, not be a troglodyte.

Aye.  I have a SteamLink and two Steam Controllers for which I paid less than the original price of one controller.  IIRC the Link and the second controller were like $5 ea. + shipping.  Valve is wacky company, drunk off its ass on the infinite money printer that is Steam.  Gabe is passed TF out in a hammock next to some serene New Zealand beach, in what can only be described as a morbidly obese billionaire's food coma.  He's largely a figurehead at Valve anyway, so the inmates are running the asylum there in Bellevue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Aye.  I have a SteamLink and two Steam Controllers for which I paid less than the original price of one controller.  IIRC the Link and the second controller were like $5 ea. + shipping.  Valve is wacky company, drunk off its ass on the infinite money printer that is Steam.  Gabe is passed TF out in a hammock next to some serene New Zealand beach, in what can only be described as a morbidly obese billionaire's food coma.  He's largely a figurehead at Valve anyway, so the inmates are running the asylum there in Bellevue.

Yay for Bellevue! Can I go pick mine up at the shop?

1 hour ago, Knuckledragger said:

Yeah I was gonna buy a link when they put them down that cheap but kinda didn't get around to it. Gaben honestly doesn't do anything these days. He's got his Microsoft money, hes got his Valve money, he's done with being a "director" of the company.

It hurts though because he's why Valve became what it is, his passion way back when was why the company was able to get ahead of the curve for online distribution, and become the biggest player. And now he just... really doesn't care.

Edited by Fitz

Yeah. No.

On the plus side, Roboquest is a very nice roguelite FPS  (though still in early access) and definitely recommended if you like that sort of thing. Also, rumors are flying about a Quake reboot, which means I should probably get back into Quake at some point so I'm not completely useless when it comes out.

24 minutes ago, catscratch said:

Also, rumors are flying about a Quake reboot, which means I should probably get back into Quake at some point so I'm not completely useless when it comes out.

Awesome, I hadn't heard this. I played a LOT of Quake 1 back in the day, and distinctly remember the soundtrack done by Trent Reznor. It was completely revolutionary at the time.

The Doom reboot has set a new high bar for game music in the past few years, so hopefully they try and step it up even further with a new Quake.

Forget taste. 😉 All you need to know is Quaker Oats asked America’s children who was best and Quake got spanked and discontinued. Quake then dug a hole to “down under”, slimmed down, and got a kangaroo sidekick. This gave the new team the confidence to relaunch Quake as Quangaroos and take on Quisp again. Big mistake (Coca-Cola wouldn’t learn the lesson). Discontinued again. It was like a slo-mo game run by marketers. 

6A033AF9-EEBC-4071-A7E3-6FD638E98B8C.jpeg

Edited by blessingx

1 hour ago, Beefy said:

Awesome, I hadn't heard this. I played a LOT of Quake 1 back in the day, and distinctly remember the soundtrack done by Trent Reznor. It was completely revolutionary at the time.

The Doom reboot has set a new high bar for game music in the past few years, so hopefully they try and step it up even further with a new Quake.

Definitely check out Dusk then, if you haven't. It's heavily inspired by the first Quake, but takes it a step further, borrowing a lot of level design tricks and atmosphere from games ranging from Portal and Half-life to immersive sims like Thief and System Shock. It seems like a simple retro throwback shooter for the first few levels... but it's not. There's a lot more to it.

Edit on the topic of soundtrack: I think id/Bethesda parted ways with Mick Gordon, but they still have Andy Hulshult, who did the music for Dusk, Prodeus, Amid Evil, and a whole bunch of other recent boomer shooters besides, and I expect if they really are remaking Quake and want a metal soundtrack they'll have him do it. So it should be good, he's very talented.

Edited by catscratch
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:53 PM, catscratch said:

Definitely check out Dusk then, if you haven't. It's heavily inspired by the first Quake, but takes it a step further, borrowing a lot of level design tricks and atmosphere from games ranging from Portal and Half-life to immersive sims like Thief and System Shock. It seems like a simple retro throwback shooter for the first few levels... but it's not. There's a lot more to it.

I highly recommend Dusk too. I'd also suggest trying to avoid screenshots/videos because of how amazing some of the levels are and it could spoil the fun knowing just all what's coming.

The publisher also has a fun collection of joke URLs for their various games like "notfortnite.com" "thiefwithguns.com" "devilmayquake.com" "icantbelieveitsnothexen.com" "deaderspace.com" and my personal favorite "waste.money" for the merch store.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fitz said:

I wish I could play Outer Wilds for the first time all over again, but this is the next best thing.

Feeling the exact same! I can't wait to see what they've come up with!

Also I finally figured out how to raise the frame rate cap above 60. It feels so much better now. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Outer_Wilds#High_frame_rate

13 hours ago, TMoney said:

Feeling the exact same! I can't wait to see what they've come up with!

Also I finally figured out how to raise the frame rate cap above 60. It feels so much better now. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Outer_Wilds#High_frame_rate

Unlocking the frame rate was one of the first things I did, since it somehow felt way lower than 60 when it was locked. I think it took a combination of that settings file, and the launch argument for borderless (-popupwindow) to get it actually smooth at a high framerate.

• Like 1