What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

never listened to a yggy, so I have no comments other than it does not do DSD, 25% of my collection is DSD, and there are a number of products out now that outperform the yggy at a fraction of the price. The $350 audio god for example

The joutenheim really is a piece of overheating poorly sounding shit.

Edited by kevin gilmore

So I do things by specifications.  The yggy is a 20 bit monolithic converter, not really designed for audio, and certainly not the fastest settling thing on the planet. Getting that design to do DSD is absolutely impossible without a completely separate DSD section. But it was the first rationally priced thing out there. And that was 3 (??) years ago.

The 24 bit - 27 bit R2R things these days (the sign magnitude ones) (even the uncompensated ones) have much better specs, accuracy,speed,glitch energy etc. So it now becomes a matter of whose firmware is best. blurring the lines  are hybrid firmware that extends DSD up to 6 bits, upsampling pcm to dsd etc. And for sure the firmware will continue to get better and better.

Watching audio-gd, denafrips,holo and soekris duke it out is going to be a great thing for consumers.

MSB and T+A and a few other of the high priced spreads (with no reason) are going to have some trouble.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, my understanding of the Soekris DSD implementation is that it just converts to PCM, pretty much the same as a software player. I've nothing against that approach, and I like the features and performance of the dac1541 which I received about a week ago, but the extra formats don't seem to have much practical effect.

• 1 month later...

Broke out my old Dynalo because I needed a single-end output amplifier to use with the Focal Elear when I first got it. Ended up casing it up while I had some free time.

Running on TPA's Placid HD power supply tuned for 18VDC and 50mA shunt current. Will likely play with that when I feel up for it.

Dynalo 1.JPG

Dynalo 2.JPG

• Like 10

5-pin XLR for a true balanced out headphone amp? I have to admit it's the first time I learnt about it.
Do you add one pin for ground and take the non-inverted outputs from both channel to make a single-ended output? 

Team 5-Pin has initiation rites that harken back to the cult of Pythagoras. Your theory can not be confirmed or denied.

4 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Team 5-Pin has initiation rites that harken back to the cult of Pythagoras. Your theory can not be confirmed or denied.

Does the rites involve strip naked and dancing on the table top of a 5 star restaurant wearing nothing but your favorite headphone?

5=pin geometry is based on non-Euclidean geometry, so, you need to read the primer before taking the next step towards induction.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Euclidean-Geometry-Babies-Math/dp/1480203246

All the other esoteric and arcane rites of passage follow at a suitably determined interval of time commensurate with the novices' grasp of the bleeding obvious.  :D

Edited by wink
spellink correkshun

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I built something just for me but here is something old...  :)  So long story short, I was sent some boxes by mistake and the seller said I could just keep them.  That also meant I had to find a project to put them.  They were tiny 70mm tall boxes with sinks on the sides so an idea was born.  It's been roughly 15 years since I built my first KGSS so why not make something to commemorate that..introducing the KGSS Klassik. 

DSC_0119-2.thumb.jpg.98f65410f8c21523979411c40606b9c1.jpg

So this was a pretty difficult birth, cramming the PCB's down to this size while using the same parts I used back in the day...was a challenge to the say the least and well, there is no space in the fucking chassis.  ;) So this is a bone stock KGSS like we did back in the day but with a few modern twists.   Output resistors, 2SC4686A's instead of the C3675's but that's about it.  The PSU is the new SMD version of the old KGSS design. 

DSC_0120-2.thumb.jpg.50dafffee001bafb39ac550c868498ba.jpg

As can be seen, this is a super tight fit and makes something like the KGSSHV mini seem spacious.  It does work wonderfully but I need to do something about the Stax socket.  So this one comes from the whole host of extension cables I've killed recently and often the threads on those sockets are just toast.  So here I glued it in place with some crazy resin glue but it didn't set properly.  Other than that, it is a cracking amp and not "that" much bigger than the SRM-252...  ;D 

DSC_0121-2.thumb.jpg.1e12665e8ce9217e457030484b3de5c0.jpg

Edited by spritzer
  • Like 9

So, what do you guys think of my front panel layout? I would like to loose the indicator mark on the knob, but it functions in four positions alternating between the four options on/off for gain (high and low (MC/MM) and rumble filter (on/off). The LEDs are bi color green/red, green is on/MC and red is off/MM. The power LED is always green.

Just using the same value resistor for both colors, they seem to be matched somewhat. The LEDs are from Bivar and the circuit uses one common-anode and one common-cathode.

879420fb703879747fb82c12945fe3d2.jpg

Just for Nate, I avoided blue :)

• Like 7

Looks nice Marc! I might have not spelled Phonograph out (Phono), but otherwise.

As for the knob and its 4 positions, not sure how you are doing that with a knob? How do you select MC + rumble on for example? The knob with a dot might look better than the line.

42 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

So, what do you guys think of my front panel layout? I would like to loose the indicator mark on the knob, but it functions in four positions alternating between the four options on/off for gain (high and low (MC/MM) and rumble filter (on/off). The LEDs are bi color green/red, green is on/MC and red is off/MM. The power LED is always green.

Just using the same value resistor for both colors, they seem to be matched somewhat. The LEDs are from Bivar and the circuit uses one common-anode and one common-cathode.

879420fb703879747fb82c12945fe3d2.jpg

Just for Nate, I avoided blue :)

gotta love that silkscreen , nice touch !