What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

Thanks, but it's not impressive either. 

You only need; 

A "portable" GRLV (Or rather three GRLV ;D)

BiAaACK.jpg

Four CFA´s: 

7kEqJH4.jpg

And Unbal/Bal boards:

iexKOud.jpg

At the last moment I decided to add a phono preamp (a VSPS) for MM and a capacitative buffer.

With a knob you can select the line inputs (one XLR, two SE and one SE for the phono preamp). With the other knob you can select from where you want to send the output signal; directly from the unbal / bal, from unbal / bal + Cap buffer or put the mute.

Unfortunately I have not been able to finish the preamp yet. I need to finish Diamond buffers.

I have also been working on lighting the volume control.

GWoq8Ym.jpg

Edited by jose
  • Like 6

Any recommendations on nailers and compressors for reroofing? My parents have needed a reroof going on three years now so it's long overdue, figured I might as well do it myself since it doesn't seem too hard (as long as I don't fall off). Also, is it worth it to apply a sealant/coating? If so, what kind? 

The moment of truth - got in a rear panel for a super dense amplifier project, which houses two front ends that wires up to different output stages. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to get the output stage bolted onto the heat sink to see if everything fits. It will be very close!

Missing a few M3 screws and the switches, but those will be ordered next part run, but more or less everything is installed! Edit: not quite - there are pluggable buffers in front of the transformers that would block view of the relay - I need to add those in.

3265b4776641d99eddf803ee38f2582e.jpg

9cb937b9151c4cfbfc2f6426c20de762.jpg

Hopefully an update tomorrow when all fits!

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

So Tice removed a deck at his job site, which is Armistead Maupin's former home. In his genius he recognized it to be Brazilian Ipe that was only screwed down from one side. The new owner eventually agreed to give the boards to the contractor and Steve's bosses gave them to him. Claire has been asking for an outdoor chaise lounge so Steve donated the Ipe and his skills to the project. 

Here is what the boards look like without any work and then a progression from weathered (as received) to planed to sanded and then to oiled with Tried & True linseed oil with beeswax. 

6C906DE6-7166-4AB7-A9C2-391586A360AF.jpeg

AEF72CB1-3364-47A6-89CB-B9D9495CC93A.jpeg

We chose a design from Restoration Hardware as the basis for Claire's chaise and essentially winged it from there. Here is the original and the final product with a side table, finished just before our vacation but built to last for many years.

9980DE0E-F828-4F23-B6F1-60AF6E6D21FF.jpeg

7CFEA29A-B2C5-428B-8086-F65741DA6934.jpeg

0C18171F-DD01-431B-BA3F-479F4CE29814.jpeg

There is no stain or pigment in the oil so the finished look truly blew us both away. Thanks Steve for supplying the wood *snicker* and the knowledge and know how to make this come together. 

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Voltron said:

So Tice removed a deck at his job site, which is Armistead Maupin's former home. In his genius he recognized it to be Brazilian Ipe that was only screwed down from one side. The new owner eventually agreed to give the boards to the contractor and Steve's bosses gave them to him. Claire has been asking for an outdoor chaise lounge so Steve donated the Ipe and his skills to the project. 

Here is what the boards look like without any work and then a progression from weathered (as received) to planed to sanded and then to oiled with Tried & True linseed oil with beeswax. 

6C906DE6-7166-4AB7-A9C2-391586A360AF.jpeg

AEF72CB1-3364-47A6-89CB-B9D9495CC93A.jpeg

We chose a design from Restoration Hardware as the basis for Claire's chaise and essentially winged it from there. Here is the original and the final product with a side table, finished just before our vacation but built to last for many years.

9980DE0E-F828-4F23-B6F1-60AF6E6D21FF.jpeg

7CFEA29A-B2C5-428B-8086-F65741DA6934.jpeg

0C18171F-DD01-431B-BA3F-479F4CE29814.jpeg

There is no stain or pigment in the oil so the finished look truly blew us both away. Thanks Steve for supplying the wood *snicker* and the knowledge and know how to make this come together. 

Wow! 

Uhm, thanks for all the praise, however it's aimed at the wrong person. While I was able to procure the wood, and played a part in making an actual plan from a picture, it was Al who did most of the woodworking on this project. He is a natural at this! His attention to detail and his ability to soak up knowledge surpass all expectations I had. Our little Lawyer man is growing up so fast! 

And I knew there were bound to be jokes about me and Armistead's wood. Glad to see G-Man is at the top of his game!

• Like 10

Lookin' good Al

I read that it is a super hard wood (Tice-like?) that will eventually turn silver like it was before.

I used to scrub and powerwash teak when it turned silver. Lots of elbow grease required but every 5-10 years (depends on exposure) it isn't so bad.

You should be able to pick up cleaners just about anywhere.