What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

7 hours ago, randytsuch said:

My chassis is almost done now, finally.

Took a quick pic this morning, lighting not good, but will give you an idea.

The front accent pieces cover a drilling mistake lol.

I tried to add a pic of the top, but I think I reached my size limits for uploading pics maybe?

Drawing3.jpg

Beautiful wood work! The Lacewood looks great with the Quilted Maple! Nice dovetails too!

35 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Beautiful wood work! The Lacewood looks great with the Quilted Maple! Nice dovetails too!

Thanks

I'm really happy with the final result, but it took MANY MANY hours to get there.   My first big woodworking project, so I had to learn as I went.

For both the maple and the leapardwood, I took small pieces of wood and tried a few different finishes, to see which finish came out best.  Did a lot of research online on finishing maple when I was working on the main body.

9 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Stunning work, especially for early in your journey.  Congrats!

My first proper humidor was made a long time back for me of birdseye maple and Australian paduk.  Something about wood boxes that makes me smile...

HS

Thanks.  I did take this on later in life, so although a first big wood project I have lots of experience building stuff.

I have a scrap piece of paduk, and am thinking of trying to make a volume knob with it.  Hopefully I can make something nice looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Listened to this for the first time today.

IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.9c860408a58baebf114497647825e048.JPG
Pad is from a SR-007 and cable from an old Lambda and the rest is home made. The main parts are made with files from Wachara (chinsettawong). Many thanks. 

A lot more has to be done before it’s a decent headphone.

• Like 12

17 hours ago, JoaMat said:

Listened to this for the first time today.

IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.9c860408a58baebf114497647825e048.JPG
Pad is from a SR-007 and cable from an old Lambda and the rest is home made. The main parts are made with files from Wachara (chinsettawong). Many thanks. 

A lot more has to be done before it’s a decent headphone.

Very nice!  

Opened up my SR-007 today and checked out the stators. Then I made this (left, stator to the right is the first I made)
IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.94b1ea9eedf2f832965297209b085c60.JPG
– it’s almost the same dimensions as the Stax. Diameter of the perforated area is 1.5 mm larger on my stators. Hole diameter is 1.0 mm, 1417 holes. Also made another diaphragm but it plays very soft so the imbalance is total… but it's slowly coming, maybe it needs some time to charge - I don't know.

You guys should try this, it's really fun.

For information about building electrostatic headphones jump to head-fi and this great thread.

I use 0.5 mm spacers. So far I’ve made just three diaphragms and I have to learn how to get the right tension and also to get a good coating. After a few hours it seem that the new diaphragm is catching up with older one… and they actually are quite alike.

• Like 1

One side is with the “old” big holes stators and the other side has stators with small holes.
IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.256e39a902e9a0aef284ba42f13baa91.JPG

I do feel the one with new stators ( small holes) is slightly less brighter. The phones have no dust covers and I hold the phones with my hands against my ears. As for diaphragms they are as they happened to be. I have no control over tension nor coating, so probably lots of factors affecting the sound. Today I’ve been struggling with Sketchup and 3D printing. For me it’s a slow progress.

• Like 1

Thank you. Yes, they are 3D printed. I’m using PLA filament but the intention is to use PETG or Carbon. For now I make a lot of prints. I have to test and then make changes and test again - a very slow process.  I made a solid headband looking about the same as the one you see on the picture and it was very stiff - practically useless. So I removed 80 % of material and then it became a lot better.

Sonically my Stax headphones are better but my home made one is much more fun to listen to.

• Like 2

3D printed  ”pad holder” today. The grey thing attached to the driver unit with six screws.
IMG_0329.thumb.JPG.d052018c94f5e6152ca8777d2cf92292.JPG

SR-007 ear pad in place.
IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.989ac2c71f5ded5b069e00af45d4f4b1.JPG

Then take the package and push it into the frame – done. Found a piece of aluminum net and with some black paint it will serve as grill.
IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.d4f9c347bf019417caf7802e86d2485f.JPG
Exposed cable connections. Have to fix that some time.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 6

These are my measurements:

Omega-MK1.jpg

Orpheus-Clone-R-3-positions.jpg

Orpheus-Clone-L-3-positions.jpg

I also don’t really know how to read them.  However, my headphones’ graphs show pretty similar patterns to the Stax’s 007 MK1’s.

Your headphones’ graph is so flat.  Maybe you should retest them again.  How is your bass compared to the 009S?

Edited by chinsettawong
  • Like 1