What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

2 hours ago, swt61 said:

Yeah, I've seen some nice Ambrosio Maple before, but flamed Ambrosia Maple is a whole other thing. It's really lovely.

The curl only kind of shows up in this pic, but it is the best one I have. This is not, actually, ambrosia - it is from a tree that was tapped for syrup. It leaves the same streaking, but with larger holes (which I cut off). This was wood from the $2/bf scrap heap - same wood I made the kitchen counters from.

IMG_20200311_172339.thumb.jpg.42ad1b0e1848ec5c9bc08a5766a135ce.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful! 

I hearby proclaim this wood Tap Maple.

There is also Spalted Maple. Similar, but caused purely by fungus. Ambrosia Maple is also caused by fungus, but it's the Ambrosia beetle that invites the fungus ( as does the tapping in Tap Maple ).

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

Beautiful! 

I hearby proclaim this wood Tap Maple.

There is also Spalted Maple. Similar, but caused purely by fungus. Ambrosia Maple is also caused by fungus, but it's the Ambrosia beetle that invites the fungus ( as does the tapping in Tap Maple ).

So, basically vegan ambrosia maple? I dunno that seems a bit too far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

So, basically vegan ambrosia maple? I dunno that seems a bit too far.

I live in California, where when we think we may have gone too far, we go a little further. 

42 minutes ago, VPI said:

Why do none of the experts with all their wood tools not live around me.  I have projects, any of you thinking of transferring to lovely Illinois?

I did my 40 years of winters. Done with snow.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

Don't worry, you'll have to take it apart again when you replace that fence.

And again when you add the sliding table.

What problems did you have with the fence? It looks like it functions exactly like the fence on my Jet which worked great. 

You don't know Doug very well. He needs his cuts to be accurate to the micron. When Doug makes coffee in the morning (2:00 pm), he weighs the beans, grinds the beans, then weighs the grind. If those numbers don't match, leave immediately because it's going to be a bad day.

Seriously though, Doug makes some of the most precise joints I've ever encountered. And the fence he has is the most accurate and adjustable tool you'll find. I would absolutely have one if I had a shop size table saw. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, swt61 said:

You don't know Doug very well. He needs his cuts to be accurate to the micron. When Doug makes coffee in the morning (2:00 pm), he weighs the beans, grinds the beans, then weighs the grind. If those numbers don't match, leave immediately because it's going to be a bad day.

Seriously though, Doug makes some of the most precise joints I've ever encountered. And the fence he has is the most accurate and adjustable tool you'll find. I would absolutely have one if I had a shop size table saw. 

That's kind of the way I am as well. Or at least attempt to be. What fence is it?

3 hours ago, naamanf said:

That's kind of the way I am as well. Or at least attempt to be. What fence is it?

It is the Incra. I think it is like the old saying about democracy, that it's the worst fence available, except for all the others. It can be finicky and difficult to get calibrated, but it allows for doing things that are otherwise impossible. Traditionally, woodworkers don't really measure which makes it anathema to many people as it is purely about working to measurements. But it does suit the way I work, and I'd be lost without it.

I did try to have a router table built into my saw table for a while. I tried using the same Incra fence for both, which was a bust. Then I found that the auxiliary router table fence was constantly in the way of the saw, so I removed that for the previously mentioned sliding table (which I am more ambivalent about, but when it is useful, it is very useful).

The one accessory I have found that is worth its weight in gold is the JessEm stock guide.

also, for the record, we have a Nespresso. I'm not that picky :)

• Haha 6