What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

Three upcoming projects:

1. 21”x16”x12” Box with lights and hinged glass inset front.  Microphone mounts on the bottom board to hold three mics. Can do pocket hole connections I guess.

2. Vertical Shoe stand.  Either Single board in the middle or two on the outside with angled shelves attached.

3. 2x4 Acoustic Panels with feet.  This one is pretty easy.

Pretty sure I am going to need some more tools to complete.  Which do I need more, Domino joiner or router?  Can’t think of anything to routerize except maybe power cord run for the light.

Also, for the box and shoe stand, hardwood or plywood?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VPI said:

Three upcoming projects:

1. 21”x16”x12” Box with lights and hinged glass inset front.  Microphone mounts on the bottom board to hold three mics. Can do pocket hole connections I guess.

2. Vertical Shoe stand.  Either Single board in the middle or two on the outside with angled shelves attached.

3. 2x4 Acoustic Panels with feet.  This one is pretty easy.

Pretty sure I am going to need some more tools to complete.  Which do I need more, Domino joiner or router?  Can’t think of anything to routerize except maybe power cord run for the light.

Baltic birch would be your best bet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VPI said:

Which do I need more, Domino joiner or router?  Can’t think of anything to routerize except maybe power cord run for the light.

From someone that knows absolutely nothing about any of this the answer is you clearly need both.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VPI said:

I'd say router, so that you can put a finished edge on any of the exposed pieces of wood.  Which really means that you need both a router and a bunch of router bits.  

I'm with Naaman, baltic-birch.  

• Like 2

Presumably, you guys are suggesting Baltic birch plywood, which certainly seems like a solid choice for the box itself and the shoe rack. You can also get quality plywood with even fancier wood faces depending the what you want for the finish. We used teak faced plywood for Stretch's bbq island but there is unfinished or prefinished maple and other options. Either way, you can use thin strips of matching hardwoods to trim the exposed plywood edges unless you like that look, and you can use solid harwood for the door on the microphone case. 

• Like 2

Yeah, going to visit an actual lumber yard or two tomorrow to look for supplies.  Outside of putting a plug in the pocket holes on the top, I am not sure how to make a nice top for the mic box without the domino thing.  Just not sure if the local stores have them in stock, as it seems all the people that did not start podcasts during the plague, got into woodworking with Festool tools.

27 minutes ago, VPI said:

I will be close to the Des Plaines Owl when I drop off the dogs in the morning, but I will be in Kasia’s little SUV, so not sure what all I could fit.

I doubt either ebony or koa boards will be too large for the car.

also, owl has preshrunk BB ply: https://www.owlhardwood.com/baltic-birch.html

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, VPI said:

Three upcoming projects:

I meant to say something earlier, but if you let me know what size piece of glass I can see if it'd fit in the laser and we could have a go at etching your logo into it for enhanced fancy.