What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

The round inlays on the top of the post are there for the isolation feet to register into.

I still have a few stretchers to add to the stand base, and I think I'm going to use Golden shellac on the Maple. Probably polyurethane on the stained butcher block top. 

• Like 2

The only blade I have is the one that came with the Festool track saw.

Steve, do you cut out the posts to slip the shelves in there, or is that an optical illusion?

I decided to upgrade to the full MFT or whatever table from Festool and got it set up tonight. 

4EFF717D-41BE-41A5-80DB-A9FE560E10FF.jpeg

The purple heart done properly is pretty nifty.  I am speaking as a buyer not a builder...those with the skills here are those that make the good looking stuff I seek out.  I have a thing for wood boxes.  The wife calls it a problem...I refer to it as an opportunity...

HS

• Like 1

Construction is done, stretchers installed. The bottom stretcher strengthens the bottom shelf, strengthens the side structures from racking and stops the albums from being placed too far in the shelf. The top stretcher just helps with racking.

Bottom of the butcher block top has recesses milled for the isolation feet. The isolation feet are the only connection between the base and the top.

Top of the butcher block is stained, and the base has the first coat of Amber shellac.

20201202_113300.jpg

20201202_135845.jpg

20201202_142157.jpg

20201202_142204.jpg

And leveling feet installed. The last picture of the base is right side up.

Last thing to build is a riser for my motor pod. 3 3/4" tall.

• Like 9

That looks fantastic. You are going to be able to fit a ton of Parasound Z Series products in that thing. 

Are the stretchers the rods in the side?

Is the motor pod going to be on a separate support structure hence the need for a riser?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Luckily for Steve, my new Woodpeckers Drill Press Pro table arrived right before he started the Colossus Counter project. It made the dowel holes a breeze, with no measuring. The fence and the fence tracks are marked in inch and metric markings, there are two flip stops, the fence is hollow and attaches to a shop vac, and those knuckle clamps are going to be helpful. The sides extend to 36" total and there is a drawer underneath. Good stuff. I'm seriously considering the Woodpeckers router table Super Fence, but I am not certain it is as big of an improvement.

ECB53C95-7766-44A7-8811-A020162F5C36.thumb.jpeg.bc609b7592e369cc907388e0854e904a.jpeg

5F6D17DF-B575-4A78-83FA-AA7A18764A3E.thumb.jpeg.c550c5e1b6801d0aef6024b2e4c1aac0.jpeg

5507E1C9-C76B-47E9-9D2A-7BF854F7C47A.thumb.jpeg.ca129cc1f24c53feb60b76b5cd5665d9.jpeg

• Like 5

No Parasound gear. Just the Colossus, motor pod, Pass Pearl phono stage and the speed controller. Maybe some record paraphernalia, like anti static brush, stylus brush, record cleaning brush and fluid. Then albums on the bottom shelf.

The dowels are also stretchers, to keep the stand from racking front to back, where the 1 x 4 Maple stretchers keep if from racking side to side. It's overkill of course, but the turntable weighs about 75 lbs.

Edited by swt61

The riser for the motor pod will be free standing, separate from the TT stand. I need to raise the motor pod 3 3/4". I'll put small rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from shifting easily. I'm thinking of making it from Walnut to match the turntable, since I already have some on hand.

That drill press fence system is phenomenal!

Milo and Otis are available for consulting jobs. 🙂

Edited by swt61

12 hours ago, Voltron said:

Luckily for Steve, my new Woodpeckers Drill Press Pro table arrived right before he started the Colossus Counter project. It made the dowel holes a breeze, with no measuring. The fence and the fence tracks are marked in inch and metric markings, there are two flip stops, the fence is hollow and attaches to a shop vac, and those knuckle clamps are going to be helpful. The sides extend to 36" total and there is a drawer underneath. Good stuff. I'm seriously considering the Woodpeckers router table Super Fence, but I am not certain it is as big of an improvement.

ECB53C95-7766-44A7-8811-A020162F5C36.thumb.jpeg.bc609b7592e369cc907388e0854e904a.jpeg

5F6D17DF-B575-4A78-83FA-AA7A18764A3E.thumb.jpeg.c550c5e1b6801d0aef6024b2e4c1aac0.jpeg

5507E1C9-C76B-47E9-9D2A-7BF854F7C47A.thumb.jpeg.ca129cc1f24c53feb60b76b5cd5665d9.jpeg

I see one of those in my future. Built in dust collection? Take my money!

17 hours ago, swt61 said:

That drill press fence system is phenomenal!

Good to hear. I have had what might charitably be called mixed results with various woodpecker things I have bought. I could definitely use a real fence for my drill.

17 hours ago, Voltron said:

I'm seriously considering the Woodpeckers router table Super Fence

I've been eyeing the JessEm fence. My current fence, from Rockler, is functional but not great. I also have an incra positioner which is nice, but the incra fence part feels like an afterthought.