What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

7 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

Good to hear. I have had what might charitably be called mixed results with various woodpecker things I have bought. I could definitely use a real fence for my drill.

I've been eyeing the JessEm fence. My current fence, from Rockler, is functional but not great. I also have an incra positioner which is nice, but the incra fence part feels like an afterthought.

The Jessem looks good but they will not fit on our router table. It's is 34" wide and the max for Jessem is 32". Also, Jesse's current models are more than the Woodpeckers fence, up to twice as much. I think the Woodpeckers version looks solid and has all of the features you could want, including joining on the router with offset fences. 

I made a thing taller. It took one BEI in Kreg screws to do it, and probably a better way to do it, but... - you know what they say, when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail.

My record cubes will be just enough higher that I can plug my cleaner in behind them. (this is a view of the bottom)

67718BC9-BD04-41F2-80B7-0B7D252AA8D5.jpeg

15 minutes ago, VPI said:
I think I found a decent deal on a table saw in the little town next to mine.  Do you guys think I could keep this outside if I cover it with tarps when not in use?
https://www.wsimachinery.com/collections/sliding-table-saws-1/products/linvincibile-si-x

http://content.head-case.org/monthly_2020_12/7FD0BF21-DA3C-46E0-A72E-43EEA328B87B.thumb.jpeg.9188efaaaa5b42bca74ace9083d889e2.jpeg

Depends what kind of tarp.

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Voltron said:

including joining on the router with offset fences. 

Has anyone ever actually used that feature? I'm skeptical.

People definitely speak highly of the woodpecker fence. The unique jessem feature I'm interested in is the add on slider, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost.

2 hours ago, VPI said:

Do you guys think I could keep this outside if I cover it with tarps when not in use?

https://www.wsimachinery.com/collections/sliding-table-saws-1/products/linvincibile-si-x

7FD0BF21-DA3C-46E0-A72E-43EEA328B87B.jpeg

Absolutely!

What's your address again?

Marc, that looks awesome!

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

Has anyone ever actually used that feature? I'm skeptical.

I think it's definitely something I would make use of.

Worked on the dog toy box today using the track saw and the sander.  Love the tools themselves, hate the power cord connector and having the vacuum hose attached as it almost always makes things more cumbersome than they should be.

How the hell do people lock on the power cords, there are always placed in the worst possible place to be able to grab the connector and twist it.  Only people with tiny hands can get reliable power?

9 hours ago, Voltron said:

It's a reasonable complaint. Put on the power cord first and connect the vacuum second. Easier that way.

For the Rotex, the tiny little vacuum nub sticks out mm from the plug.  I need to go door to door to see if I can find dainty women or children to lock it in for me.

6 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

This to VPI's post on Tuesday:

You need to watch where you use purpleheart. If it is exposed to bright sunlight the surface oxidizes to a rather dull browny-purple.

But freshly cut it is a spectacular wood.

I used to love to plane it when kids were around. The planer chips would be a dull Brown, then 15 minutes later they were a bright Purple. The kids thought I was some sort of magician.

32 minutes ago, VPI said:

For the Rotex, the tiny little vacuum nub sticks out mm from the plug.  I need to go door to door to see if I can find dainty women or children to lock it in for me.

I'd use a little discretion in how you word that request! 

" Hey lady, I need you to grab my hose and twist it."

So I got the toy box put together and got all the dominoes installed. Decided to take a break before changing blades to cut the 1/2” strips of Purple Heart for the edge facing. 
Not sure if 28 tooth or the 9 tooth panther blade is going to be used to cut these. 

B2665C4B-29C2-4717-8AD9-9BE4FC949D05.jpeg

A9696CF6-C8D2-4BAD-BAB6-21F81614F9C1.jpeg

• Like 5

Ended up giving up on the stupid jig saw and used a hand saw to finish the cuts as best as I could. 

The jig saw has such tight tolerances it is difficult just to get it prepped to function. I think it is like most Festool and massively tight out of the box and only easy to use after many hours of use. I think it will live in its box from now on as it is not worth all the hassle. 

The Domino is awesome and the first tool that I have gotten the fucking power cord to actually lock. 

• Haha 1