What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

I was looking at that Shellix destroy stick. Seems intriguing. 

My plan for not messing with a jointer is twofold, I can use the jointer owned by the finish carpenter neighbor two houses down or more preferable I will build a sled to try to make the planer an efficient jointerish thing. 

14 minutes ago, n_maher said:

^^^ We've used a shopvac w/ my dad's Dewalt planer for going on 10 years.

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

My shopvac used to suck up 99% of the chips from my Rigid planar. Less cleanup.

Make that three. Never any problems with either the planar or shop-vac.

• Like 1

The problem with that idea is that you don't have a fence to ride against, to keep two sides at 90 degrees to each other. 

However, I've had good luck with benchtop jointers.

https://beavertools.com/707400-jet-jjp-8bt-8-jointer-planer-combo.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAz4b_BRBbEiwA5XlVVuI9gqMlBDjj72IesgPnE5_Dp7G1EsgUkceE-_9AkiXclGC2ndfw2BoCkhAQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, VPI said:

Have any of you tried the simple sled/shims/hot glue option to make a jointerish device out of the planer?

It is useful if you have a piece of wood wider than your jointer, narrower than your planer, shorter than your sled, thick enough for your clamps to grab, not heavy enough to bend your sled, and you only want to face joint it. That leaves out 99.5% of the wood you'll ever want to joint, as well as edge jointing. Edge jointing can be done on a table saw or a router table, but I don't think you have either of those things either. And in both cases it only works so-so.

@Voltron and I have both recently purchased combo jointer planers from Hammer. Al is still waiting on his, and mine arrived after a 3 month wait only to sit in the garage due to movers failing to be able to get it to the basement. But I'm with @swt61that a small benchtop jointer makes sense until you think you are going to use it a lot. This one is fine for most things.

Alternatively, you can joint things larger than any power jointer with one of these for far less money.

• Like 1

The Hammers come in 10", 12", and 16". The 16" is pretty comparable in price to the 16" Minimax. I got the 10" because I have never needed to work with something wider than that, and don't have the space for the larger tool. The 12" is probably the best deal, which is what Al got.

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/Planing/Machines/

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

It is useful if you have a piece of wood wider than your jointer, narrower than your planer, shorter than your sled, thick enough for your clamps to grab, not heavy enough to bend your sled, and you only want to face joint it. That leaves out 99.5% of the wood you'll ever want to joint, as well as edge jointing. Edge jointing can be done on a table saw or a router table, but I don't think you have either of those things either. And in both cases it only works so-so.

@Voltron and I have both recently purchased combo jointer planers from Hammer. Al is still waiting on his, and mine arrived after a 3 month wait only to sit in the garage due to movers failing to be able to get it to the basement. But I'm with @swt61that a small benchtop jointer makes sense until you think you are going to use it a lot. This one is fine for most things.

Alternatively, you can joint things larger than any power jointer with one of these for far less money.

Ordered that Grizzly one, back order is pretty extreme so I assume it will show up about the time I get bored with smashing sticks into box-like formats.

• Like 3

Everything Jet makes seems to be Taiwanese. 

Northfield certainly has the website of an American Made company that has never heard of Taiwan. Half the pages are broken and all of it is Jr. High project web design. 

Edited by VPI
  • Like 3