What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

23 minutes ago, naamanf said:

Easy for my drilling robot, just need exact dimensions. 

It will take 20 minutes to do by hand.

52 minutes ago, VPI said:

Need to build one myself.

You probably don't. Add a thin piece of ply on the back of the saw as a sacrificial fence - that will work fine to prevent tear out. The direction the blade moves means that there shouldn't be any issue on the underside of the piece you are cutting.

22 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

\You probably don't. Add a thin piece of ply on the back of the saw as a sacrificial fence - that will work fine to prevent tear out. The direction the blade moves means that there shouldn't be any issue on the underside of the piece you are cutting.

Might try this to see if this works for me.

1 hour ago, VPI said:

Might try this to see if this works for me.

The reason is that as you push the saw from front to back, the blade is lower than the wood*. It is spinning up, and that means that it is cutting by pushing into the stock which makes the wood act as a backer to prevent tearout. But as you get the the end of the cut, the blade is pushing out of the back. With nothing to hold the stock, it tears instead of cuts, which is why you need a fence behind, but not below.

* this requires proper technique of pulling the blade all the way toward you, cutting down, then pushing in rather than just chopping.

7 hours ago, naamanf said:

Threw together a tool board in VCarve. In hindsight I could have done a better job with the space but it works for now. 

8AEE6529-08FF-4D9A-AAA3-6B689C3777A5.jpeg

2018CC79-8FA9-4D0D-81ED-7F045CD79069.jpeg

That is fucking awesome.  Does Home Depot sell these Black Magic ping pong tables?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emooze said:

That tool holder is hawt AF. How did you get the wrench sizes?

I got lucky and someone had them already made up for a different tool holder. If I had to do it, I would just trace, scan the trace and then do a bitmap trace in VCarve or maybe find the same tool in Inkscape. 

14 minutes ago, swt61 said:

My mind keeps thinking what a badass turntable could be built with this thing! A round, multilayered, three footed wooden masterpiece comes to mind.

Sketch it up by hand, send me something dimensioned and I'll put it into CAD for you and/or send Naaman a vector file that he can cut out.  It is not hard.  The hurdle for a lot of folks is either a) the drawing side or b) the machining side. If I had more time to play with the machine I think I could get up to some serious fun but, well, life and all that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, n_maher said:

Sketch it up by hand, send me something dimensioned and I'll put it into CAD for you and/or send Naaman a vector file that he can cut out.  It is not hard.  The hurdle for a lot of folks is either a) the drawing side or b) the machining side. If I had more time to play with the machine I think I could get up to some serious fun but, well, life and all that.

I’m sure we could come up with some good stuff. I’m seeing that drawing the part is the smallest part of the battle. Converting it into efficient CAM and choosing the proper tools/speeds/feeds is the challenge. Good thing I’m now at the point where I have to time and resources to do what I want. 

• Like 2