What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

Nice, Naaman! I've been meaning to have a serious go at inlay work given my skills at CAD - since the software that does it automatically is out of my price range - but haven't gotten there yet. Someday...

For now I'm too distracted by my stick-smashing project.  Headset, stem, and spacers arrive this week so I got the cockpit mocked up.  Ignore the stick smasher in the background that currently serves as a workbench and beer holder.

10F80D15-AD6B-4BC2-AACB-1F4FB2AFD677_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.12bdda1e553a28380f416ddd7797282b.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, n_maher said:

Nice, Naaman! I've been meaning to have a serious go at inlay work given my skills at CAD - since the software that does it automatically is out of my price range - but haven't gotten there yet. Someday...

For now I'm too distracted by my stick-smashing project.  Headset, stem, and spacers arrive this week so I got the cockpit mocked up.  Ignore the stick smasher in the background that currently serves as a workbench and beer holder.

10F80D15-AD6B-4BC2-AACB-1F4FB2AFD677_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.12bdda1e553a28380f416ddd7797282b.jpeg

V carving is definitely the way to go, really no other way to get sharp corners. I think Fusion can generate V carve toolpaths. 

6 hours ago, VPI said:

Doing some last minute shopping before the Jet sale ends. 

Anyone know or hate the newer Jet low end 3/4 HP bandsaw with 13” re-cut that is getting such great reviews?

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/14-steel-frame-band-saw-13-resaw-capacity-model-jwbs14-sfx

3E823CA8-59AE-4176-B975-FA61E06A8A1B.jpeg

No help here, I also need to purchase a “smaller” bandsaw in the 16-18” region. 

Smashed up a pinewood ply box. 

DDC718AF-EBC4-407B-A87D-AF25A3F40502.jpeg

Edited by naamanf
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, VPI said:

Anyone know or hate the newer Jet low end 3/4 HP bandsaw with 13” re-cut that is getting such great reviews?

1 3/4HP will not resaw 13" of hardwood, at least not well, regardless of stated capacity. If you think you want to resaw that much, you need a bigger motor. That said, it's unlikely you need to resaw that much - unless you are also buying a 13" jointer and a 13" planer.

I have a 1 3/4HP Laguna. I am able to resaw ~6" of oak using the Laguna resaw blade. Even that is slow and I wouldn't try to push it any harder. I wish I'd bought the 2 1/2 HP 220V version, but it wasn't a quick option at the time and I needed it in a hurry. But I do like it - it is way better than my old Grizzly.

The general advice I'd give is to pick the max width you want to mill, and build you shop around that. That is typically dictated by the size of your jointer as those are typically the smallest tool. When I bought my bandsaw, I had a 6" jointer, so it was plenty. And really, with very few exceptions, there is not a lot of reason to work with wood wider than 6-8" as it has a tendency to warp too much. For wider, you are better off gluing smaller pieces together, or veneering plywood.

The Jet is lacking (at least) two features of the Laguna which to me are worth the price difference*. The first is the Laguna has ceramic blade guides which are much nicer. The second is that the Laguna has a pedal braking system. That might not seem like a big deal, until you stand there waiting for the saw to slowly slow down after each use.

Laguna stuff goes on sale as often as Jet, so it will be discounted soon enough. There is also a new Hammer in your price range: https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Machines/Bandsaw-Hammer-N2-35.html

* as a general rule, tools are the one place where economic laws seem to actually apply. If one tool costs more than another, there is almost always a good reason for it.

• Like 3

Great information, thanks.  I do not know of any reason I would ever need that much cutting capacity, but I thought get as much as possible in a smaller form factor for this one.  Really do not want to give up the space, but it seems I keep reaching a point in projects that a bandsaw would be very helpful.

Got the router up and running, it was an overnight Caribou from Canada.  Need better hearing protection as that little beast is painfully loud.

10 minutes ago, Voltron said:

My incoming Hammer N4400 bandsaw has a 3.5 HP motor, 16.5" rip capacity, 12.25" resaw height, and ceramic guides top and bottom. Arrives next month.

The Felder 510 looks to be about the right size as well and just about the same price, I’ll have to do some review digging. 

Test fit of the bedside hardwood box for Kasia. Still need to sand, chisel for the hinges and route out some edges on the outer mahogany pieces and a finger groove on the lid and then nail it together and then seal. Birthday is tomorrow, so I am glad I got her other gifts also as this one is going to be late. 

just stacked up in the picture the lid and front panel will match up when I actually nail it all together.  

818B7960-39C2-492F-A86B-1429321D0B9C.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 9