What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

13 hours ago, naamanf said:

Gag sign for a friend whose wife caught herself on fire while cooking.  Learn something every time. Should have used a bolder font. 

Tip for the future, in case this isn't what you did to fix it, but if you're v-carving and finding that you aren't getting a "bold" enough result a quick attempt at a fix is to simply cheat Z zero down a bit (experiment, it's easy to go too deep in a hurry) and then rerun that section of the program.  I've found it works acceptably well without butchering the tapered sections.  One other option is to rerun the program with a 90d V as opposed to a 60d, but that only works if your first effort was with a 60d bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, n_maher said:

Tip for the future, in case this isn't what you did to fix it, but if you're v-carving and finding that you aren't getting a "bold" enough result a quick attempt at a fix is to simply cheat Z zero down a bit (experiment, it's easy to go too deep in a hurry) and then rerun that section of the program.  I've found it works acceptably well without butchering the tapered sections.  One other option is to rerun the program with a 90d V as opposed to a 60d, but that only works if your first effort was with a 60d bit.

Exactly what I did basically. Set the start depth at .0015. All done with a 90. 

• Thanks 1

Using the router and cleaning the edges with the chisel would be the faster method. White side even makes a corner chisel. Looks good to me though. 

I’m also no expert, but I think you might be using the wrong chisel.

Edited by naamanf

Yes, that’s the one with the arms, but Rockler was out of stock. 

I have found that Boiled Linseed Oil hates residual wood glue and I am going to need to do some serious sanding before the next round. 

Really digging how the BLO does with the Mahogany. 

FE59D0FB-66DA-49E7-8E12-0682657A738E.jpeg

E9B02C1B-A947-41CC-B149-34CE9D2FDF1D.jpeg

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, VPI said:

Yes, that’s the one with the arms, but Rockler was out of stock. 

I have found that Boiled Linseed Oil hates residual wood glue and I am going to need to do some serious sanding before the next round. 

Really digging how the BLO does with the Mahogany. 

FE59D0FB-66DA-49E7-8E12-0682657A738E.jpeg

E9B02C1B-A947-41CC-B149-34CE9D2FDF1D.jpeg

Looks great!

1 minute ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I need ideas on how to hold up a floppy queen mattress that is being repurposed as a wall in a vocal booth.  I also have two twin mattresses that will make up two of the other walls.  All three are hard foam.

Any ideas?

Build a frame with cross braces in the back and contact cement it to the frame. 

not sure I would want to be in an enclosed area with someone’s old mattresses though 🤮

• Like 1

You need more sticks.

It appears the only model of Laguna bandsaw available before the middle of the year is the little 14/Twelve or whatever.  Might actually be better as it is fairly small, but does not have some of the fancy brakes and stuff of the slightly more expensive models that are on long back order. 

5D84EE96-72F1-48F7-A6B7-D82D30331124.jpeg

Not necessarily.  I have two 12” sticks that I wanted to split in two to make a pair of 24” side tables and I have some crooked line shit I want to do.

My main thought is that the cheap Laguna is probably more than I need so there is no reason to wait months for something with an additional option or two.