What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

1 hour ago, Kerry said:

I use HDPE for that stuff. I’ve always had problems working with delrin. It melts as you cut it. 

Not to mention the sustainability of this product. I could only imagine what kind of cool, carved outdoor furniture Naaman could make on his Ping Pong table.

• Like 1

Working on a cross cut sled. I am going with 24” wide as I think that is about as big as I can manage on the TS. 

How thick are you guys making your fences on the crosscut sleds?  I glued up two 3/4” BB plywood pieces and plan to add a block where the blade lines up.  Is 1.5” thick enough for the squared fence?

46 minutes ago, VPI said:

Another stupid question. As I do not want to set off the saw stop safety features. How long do I need to wait after glue up to start cutting down the two pieces of plywood?  Been drying for 4-5 hours. 

I would wait 24 hours to safe, or turn the safety feature off temporarily. 

• Like 2

4 or 5 hours should be fine. For glue to trip the saw, it needs to create a path to ground. Merely encountering even wet glue in a joint won't cause a trigger. Similarly, hitting a nail won't cause it to trip unless the nail is also touching something else (the table top, you, a metal fence, etc.) It's why wet wood can cause a trigger as the wetness connects the blade to the table top.

There is a test feature so you can see if something will cause it to trip before turning it on.

Edited by dsavitsk
  • Like 2

I kind of like the idea of shop made rails as you just lay the sled down on them with some glue and everything is perfectly aligned. With these I guess I have to measure the distance between rails and add 3/8 for the mounting position. With a crappy plastic top, not sure the mitre slots will be uniform. 

You'd still probably align them the same way. Put them in the slots, put some double sided tape on them, set the sled on top, flip it over and drill pilot holes through the threaded inserts, or just trace around the rail to find its position.

If they are sufficiently slop free, they shouldn't need to be very long.

I've used the incra version. They are fine, but I usually just end up using wood rails instead. That said, I have never built a forever sled. I build sleds as needed for particular projects, so I don't care if the rails swell in 6 months as it will be in the trash by then. This is probably not a best practice, though.

FWIW, I do like Microjig. This is one of my favorite things: https://www.microjig.com/collections/grr-rip-block

• Like 3