What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

Nice juxtaposition shots Al. I'm always a bit surprised at what we started with. It's funny how fast you can put something out of your mind.

Marc, that trimless look is all the rage now in San Francisco. I like the clean, simplicity of it. It's more work than conventional trim, but worth it in a modern setting IMO.

The best part of this job was doing it with Milo. I'm still flabbergasted at how quickly he picks things up. And his design sense is impeccable. 

It's not really work when you're having fun, except grouting!

Edited by swt61
  • Like 4

I have been continuing to play with turntable motors. I have two projects, one a controller with platter speed feedback for 3-phase AC motor and another controller for DC motors, which is an ultra-compact version of the one in swt61’s turntable to drive the Maxon motor. Here are some photos, just got things soldered up and have a whole lot of very tedious testing and software writing to do :) 

in addition to the SAMD microcontroller, that cutout is org castellated pads will also fit the new Raspberry Pi 2040 chip, which I am hoping to play with a bit.

I hope they work!

0A55FB16-9E5E-4AB5-A0A2-1D548012600A.jpeg

4F5AAF4B-07B3-4971-9D08-58B03ECC33BF.jpeg

BFE89DAB-5A03-4241-8184-156387657B3A.jpeg

• Like 10

Milo and Otis, wow is all I can say. 

As for me, a gift for a disabled warrior to go with a wheelchair ramp for his house. Carving the handle was one thing but etching the trident was a nerve wracking endeavor.  One shot with no do overs.

image.thumb.png.a2073f65cfc98ca9eb1dfd2553cd71cb.png

image.thumb.png.d08376f525dc64535e4ef126f271e7a1.png

Thanks Mark, you da man.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, Augsburger said:

Milo and Otis, wow is all I can say. 

As for me, a gift for a disabled warrior to go with a wheelchair ramp for his house. Carving the handle was one thing but etching the trident was a nerve wracking endeavor.  One shot with no do overs.

image.thumb.png.a2073f65cfc98ca9eb1dfd2553cd71cb.png

image.thumb.png.d08376f525dc64535e4ef126f271e7a1.png

Thanks Mark, you da man.

That’s awesome, I plan on doing a large trident plaque that holds a full size flint lock in the near future. 

Got this baby up and running. 

95462DBB-9305-41A0-9584-3B168075DD92.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, naamanf said:

That’s awesome, I plan on doing a large trident plaque that holds a full size flint lock in the near future. 

Got this baby up and running. 

95462DBB-9305-41A0-9584-3B168075DD92.jpeg

Perhaps as a guide to give you an idea, this was stationed prominently by Mark's front door. Great detail which I tried to match but on a much smaller scale.

image.thumb.png.38abe6333e022b28c083f9dc5cb85d4f.png

• Like 3

Already planning a wood scrap, giant drawer, mobile jointer cabinet so I can have it done before the unit gets here tomorrow. 

I think it will be a disappointing unit, but the fancy ones you guys have would not be to be until February, months after I have moved on from woodworking. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It will work fine for the stuff I am working with now, but the narrow head is going to be a problem with many projects. 

The rolling cabinet for this thing is going to cost more than the jointer at this point. $83 for a sheet of Baltic Birch at OWL today. 

9 minutes ago, VPI said:

It will work fine for the stuff I am working with now, but the narrow head is going to be a problem with many projects. 

The rolling cabinet for this thing is going to cost more than the jointer at this point. $83 for a sheet of Baltic Birch at OWL today. 

Cancel/refuse the shipment.

Now that I have a 16” jointer I can whole heartedly recommend nothing less that a 20” jointer. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The prices on Baltic Birch plywood are very regional. I was paying $50 a sheet in Alaska in the mid 90's. It's still going for around $20 a sheet in South Texas. Here in the bay area it ranges from around $60 - $90.

Edited by swt61