What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

On 5/24/2021 at 11:51 AM, swt61 said:

You may have a future career in glory hole manufacturing. 

Like most careers, you gotta deal with a lot of dickheads, but the demand is good.

As long as I don’t have to test them I’m out. 

Made this little plaque, first time doing a small intricate V carve. I was a little worried it was going to be a tear-out disaster but it actually turned out well. 

C29CB2F0-6DA7-4DF4-B3DA-80ED2FC34EC3.jpeg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Marc sent me a really nice piece of figured walnut to turn into record player parts. Part is going to be 1.35” thick but board was 2.5”. Seemed to be a waste to machine/plane it down to the correct thickness.  Nice finally having the right tools for the job. 
E2AEBB22-3F08-44EF-B689-22C968D8C4A0.thumb.jpeg.c3c7bc18aa0975651c176e0d5fb6c00d.jpeg

969F0879-5F78-4101-9685-805A568A4FC8.jpeg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Voltron said:

Very nice. How thin are the veneers?

Still need to run them rough the sander. Goal was to have them be 1/32 when finished. I’m sure I could go thinner but wanted to err on being thicker until I’m really good at resawing them. 

F2BF7DA9-7384-4181-9396-2E02B9502A08.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VPI said:

Question for Naaman, how has the Surfprep been?  Thinking about the 3x4 model instead of the Mirka 3x4 which seems to have some reliability issues. 

So far no issues or complaints. I don’t really have anything to compare it to besides a Makita finish sander which it is way better than. I would like to try some other brands papers, the Surfprep ones seem to wear down super quick. 

Mirka is far from the only maker of mesh sandpaper. I've been using it for over a decade. All the open areas between the weave is what allows it to stay more free of buildup than standard paper. Couple that with an attached vacuum, like that of the Festool, and that's even more efficient. Lifespan of the mesh is far greater than paper. Plus, I like that I don't have to bother with lining up the holes, like in the paper discs.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Wow that’s great! We need a video of the paper making! Do you need both sides of the board to be parallel before you put it through the bandsaw?

Just one side. Running the blade right up to the stock fence. I really need to make a resaw fence. 

• Like 3