luvdunhill

What Are You Building Today

never listened to a yggy, so I have no comments other than it does not do DSD, 25% of my collection is DSD, and there are a number of products out now that outperform the yggy at a fraction of the price. The $350 audio god for example

The joutenheim really is a piece of overheating poorly sounding shit.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Kevin in the same sentence you claim you’ve never listened to a Yggdrasil yet you know other products that outperform it

I also have the Yggy and I do love it a great deal.  However, the lack of DSD decoding really starting annoy me...hence the reason why I bought the Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC that can do DSD very well.

So I do things by specifications.  The yggy is a 20 bit monolithic converter, not really designed for audio, and certainly not the fastest settling thing on the planet. Getting that design to do DSD is absolutely impossible without a completely separate DSD section. But it was the first rationally priced thing out there. And that was 3 (??) years ago.

The 24 bit - 27 bit R2R things these days (the sign magnitude ones) (even the uncompensated ones) have much better specs, accuracy,speed,glitch energy etc. So it now becomes a matter of whose firmware is best. blurring the lines  are hybrid firmware that extends DSD up to 6 bits, upsampling pcm to dsd etc. And for sure the firmware will continue to get better and better.

Watching audio-gd, denafrips,holo and soekris duke it out is going to be a great thing for consumers.

MSB and T+A and a few other of the high priced spreads (with no reason) are going to have some trouble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, my understanding of the Soekris DSD implementation is that it just converts to PCM, pretty much the same as a software player. I've nothing against that approach, and I like the features and performance of the dac1541 which I received about a week ago, but the extra formats don't seem to have much practical effect.

Been keeping an eye on the Denafrips units for a while, but it will be a while before I pull the trigger.

Broke out my old Dynalo because I needed a single-end output amplifier to use with the Focal Elear when I first got it. Ended up casing it up while I had some free time.

Running on TPA's Placid HD power supply tuned for 18VDC and 50mA shunt current. Will likely play with that when I feel up for it.

Dynalo 1.JPG

Dynalo 2.JPG

• Like 10

Oh, you didn't have the foresight to use a 5-pin XLR on your SS Dynalo, so you could make an SE adapter for it?

Me either :rolleyes:

Oh, you didn't have the foresight to use a 5-pin XLR on your SS Dynalo, so you could make an SE adapter for it?

Me either :rolleyes:

Team 5-Pin is an elite organization. You do not just “foresee” joining Team 5-Pin. It joins you.
  • Like 1

5-pin XLR for a true balanced out headphone amp? I have to admit it's the first time I learnt about it.

Do you add one pin for ground and take the non-inverted outputs from both channel to make a single-ended output? 

Edited by mwl168

5-pin XLR for a true balanced out headphone amp? I have to admit it's the first time I learnt about it.
Do you add one pin for ground and take the non-inverted outputs from both channel to make a single-ended output? 

Team 5-Pin has initiation rites that harken back to the cult of Pythagoras. Your theory can not be confirmed or denied.

4 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Team 5-Pin has initiation rites that harken back to the cult of Pythagoras. Your theory can not be confirmed or denied.

Does the rites involve strip naked and dancing on the table top of a 5 star restaurant wearing nothing but your favorite headphone?

5=pin geometry is based on non-Euclidean geometry, so, you need to read the primer before taking the next step towards induction.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Euclidean-Geometry-Babies-Math/dp/1480203246

All the other esoteric and arcane rites of passage follow at a suitably determined interval of time commensurate with the novices' grasp of the bleeding obvious.  :D

Edited by wink
spellink correkshun