NotoriousBIG_PJ

Deluxe Flat Pads for Grado Headphones

33 posts in this topic

Yes, but I've never been a fan of those Senn pads. I'll get the regular flat pads from TTVJ if the new ones aren't an improvement.

Edited by HiWire
1 person likes this

Damn, that's too bad.  I lost my Grado pads for my PS-1.  I wonder if I can get replacements?

That said, they're entirely different, I remember now why I replaced them.  But I will obtain so that I can sell the PS-1 stock.

4E-GCUSH-2T.jpg?1464156473

8 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

You have to mod the 414 pads, and I've double blinded it: they don't sound as good as the flats. 30 percent of listeners declare them as sounding worse than flats, as opposed to 10 percent the other way. With 10 people, the p-value is okie dokie. This was done with HP-2 headphones, but I think it's valid for other Grado phone. 

I guess I am not understanding what was said above. My interpretation is that the data for 10 subjects would look like:

Flat pads better - 3

414 pads better - 1

no difference - 6

is that the correct interpretation or am not understanding what you wrote. Not trying to be an asshole as I don't want to take Zach's job, just trying to understand since I still have a few Grado phones.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, morphsci said:

I guess I am not understanding what was said above. My interpretation is that the data for 10 subjects would look like:

Flat pads better - 3

414 pads better - 1

no difference - 6

is that the correct interpretation or am not understanding what you wrote. Not trying to be an asshole as I don't want to take Zach's job, just trying to understand since I still have a few Grado phones.

I was making a self-deprecating joke about myself (hence the "p-value is okie dokie" and "what works for the Grado HP-2 is valid for other phones"), that I guess didn't come out very well.  I used to run double-blind tests on cables and shit, that you probably don't remember, and blabbered about them constantly, thinking I was hot shit.  I never ran a test between modded 414s and flats.  I don't think modded 414s ever sounded all that great, though.

Yeah, at first I thought you were joking but then I remembered you had done some double-blind tests back in the day. I wasn't sure about the details of the tests so a Grado pad test seemed plausible. Anyway no harm, no foul.

1 person likes this

Grado flat pads aren't the only ones that crumble. I found a trail of telltale black bits coming from the Radio Shack foam pads on my old Koss Sportapros this morning. Time for a replacement.

27 minutes ago, HiWire said:

Grado flat pads aren't the only ones that crumble. I found a trail of telltale black bits coming from the Radio Shack foam pads on my old Koss Sportapros this morning. Time for a replacement.

except grado pads cost more than sportapros.

Yup... ordered a set of replacement pads directly from Koss and it was 5 bucks... free ground shipping, too.