hifiman he1000

NotoriousBIG_PJ

What do you guys think about these headphones? I owned a used pair for a while, but I didn't feel the sound and build quality justified the price (for example vs. sr009 or omega II).

I thought they had great sound stage, good detail and a nice balanced sound. No sibilance issues and non-fatiguing. I found the mids a bit thin and in my system they sounded muddy until I turned up the volume to a bit higher than I prefer. The pads get pretty hot after a bit of use. My wife wasn't a fan of them, citing vocals as lacking 'crispness'.

I think they are still one of the top headphones I've listened to so I'd recommend giving them a listen.

Biggie.

• Like 1

The biggest problem that I have with them is rather small size soundstage compared to other top end headphones.  Beside that I found them to be quite enjoyable.  They pair amazing well with my Susy Dynahi.  Build quality is only decent IMO.  I personally would take the 800S  over them if paying full price.

• Like 1

On 20 April 2016 at 2:53 PM, NotoriousBIG_PJ said:

What do you guys think about these headphones? I owned a used pair for a while, but I didn't feel the sound and build quality justified the price (for example vs. sr009 or omega II).

I thought they had great sound stage, good detail and a nice balanced sound. No sibilance issues and non-fatiguing. I found the mids a bit thin and in my system they sounded muddy until I turned up the volume to a bit higher than I prefer. The pads get pretty hot after a bit of use. My wife wasn't a fan of them, citing vocals as lacking 'crispness'.

I think they are still one of the top headphones I've listened to so I'd recommend giving them a listen.

Biggie.

i agree with the wife. the he1000 softens the leading edge of notes to my ears. it's the lightest and most comfortable planar magnetic that i've worn which is welcome, but the hd800/s expose it for the overpriced can that it is.

Edited by tin ear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tin ear said:

i agree with the wife. the he1000 softens the leading edge of notes to my ears. it's the lightest and most comfortable planar magnetic that i've worn which is welcome, but the hd800/s expose it for the overpriced can that it is.

That too.  I have not listened to them in several months now.  Need to sell them tho but they sound so very nice with SuSy Dynahi.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I should have rid my V1 when I had the chance.  Luckily I was a beta tester and got it for way less.  Honest though, what they are doing is just trying to capitalize on the market conditions.  Thank god Mr. Speaker is trying to bring more performance for a whole lot less with their Ether Flow lines. 

• 2 months later...

My HEK V2 just came in yesterday and so far this is a nicer sounding headphones than the V1.  Better bass and very smooth presentation.  Soundstage is no longer diffused and fit & finish is much better as well as better wearing comfort.  I like it better than my trusty HD800 and the Elear that I auditioned recently.  I do like the Elear a great deal but its lack soundstage wide & depth got to me.  The V2 is a very enjoyable headphones and it sounds marvelously good out of Doug's ECP DSHA-2 prototype.  

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

Tom, 

I  think you will enjoy it much more and I would not bother with the cable upgrade either.  The stock cable is already very stellar by itself.  I have the moon-audio silver dragon and prefer their new stock cable.  Yup, I do aware with the V3 & V4 jokes and I was saying that earlier too.  Though I doubt that they will need to release any additional revision now in the next two years.  This is a really good sounding headphones now with very little to fault.  The V1 will always leave a sour taste in  my mount but I have to say that I couldn't stop listening to the V2 since it came in yesterday.

Edited by purk

19 hours ago, SaraPark said:

My headphone is produced by Sony. But i would like to try another headphone. Why not to try wireless. 

It would appear, in regards to Sony being a very prolific manufacturer of copious quantities of untold varieties of variegated headphones that it would be prudent to ascertain the most plausible choice of model and type from the Sony website by studiously and fastidiously going over the plethora of offerings contained there with a fine-toothed comb until you are psychologically and mentally assured that the resultant choice is in very fact the best offering for your intended usage.

It then behooves you to find a place of audition and commerce where you can truly verify that your choice is indeed the most suitable one for you.

You need to compare the prospective purchase with all the other relevant offerings by Sony to augment the decision that your choice is most appropriate.

The next most necessary step is to go to the Sennheiser site and repeat the process and then compare the result with the previous model of choice from Sony.

Once a choice from both Sony and Sennheiser has been determined, you need to compare the choice with the offerings from Koss, AKG, beyerdynamic, etc., until there is a sole survivor left.

By the time you have done all this due diligence you will discover that Sony and Sennheiser have updated their model ranges, so you need to repeat the procedure with all the previous manufacturers all over again.

Or, you could just find the cheapest headphone that grabs your attention and purchase said item.

Here, it is of utmost importance that you do NOT attempt to use these headphones as the most assured buyer's remorse will set in and it will turn you off any further headphone purchases.

The better solution would be to go through the previous tedious process to ascertain a viable back-up pair that you will know do not sound better than your first choice. so that how it sounds will not be an impediment to you enjoyment of them.

The next step is to join Head-Fi and rave continuously about the fact that these headphones are the greatest sonic transducers since the invention of sound reproduction.

You can then conduct numerous experiments to modify them.

New cables, different earpads, Sorbothane patches, bluetack, different grills or cups, different drivers, etc, etc, ad hoc, ad addendum, ad nauseum, ad astra, ad infinitum.

And, dont forget to mention how well they scale up when used in a balanced configuration.

The sonic world is your oyster, sic 'em dude........      :P

Edited by wink
Shpellinks
  • Like 2

My view on this is it is difficult to demo the top phones at the same time. Maybe some HP dealers in New York or something, but for 95% of us there is just not the availability. So we paw around in the dark, read stuff, ask advice and then, maybe, buy said model. I guess I was lucky maybe, that I heard the 007s then the 009s before I bought them, but that was in owners systems, not a dealer. The hobby at this level I guess is too niche for the mainstream shops....