Chord Dave Any Good?

mtoc

Distortion alone (well THD) is pretty meaningless and says nothing about how it sounds.  I also wasn't referring to this thing but their analog engineering in general.  Seriously, look up the "balanced" headphone amp or their pre/power amps. 

• 1 month later...

this is the first, and definitely not the last r2r discrete compensated dac

https://kitsunehifi.com/product-category/audio-gear/dac/

i'm sure others will be duplicating these ideas soon, market is about to make a major change again

absolutely insane (as in waste of money) to spend more than $2500 on a moving target.

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

this is the first, and definitely not the last r2r discrete compensated dac

https://kitsunehifi.com/product-category/audio-gear/dac/

i'm sure others will be duplicating these ideas soon, market is about to make a major change again

absolutely insane (as in waste of money) to spend more than $2500 on a moving target.

I'm surprised nobody's done this before.  Seems like a great way to make cheap and accurate R2R DACs.

3 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

fancy transformers AND fancy capacitors.  unlikely anyone could tell the difference between the 3 models.

The red label transformer is silver wire.

I think green label transformer is the one with silver wires.

Edited by cclragnarok

• 4 months later...

After having an expensive SACD/DAC ( K-01 ), and now having an Yggy which was a fraction of the cost of that SACD/DAC, I'll never spend a large amount on a DAC again, especially with me enjoying the SQ from the Yggy more than I did that K-01. However if someone wants to spend their money on a Chord Dave, which I've seen in the UK priced at around £8,000, then that's up to them, definitely not something I'll be doing though, in fact I'm still pissed off with the amount I lost in selling that K-01. ?

Yes I know, I'm a fucking idiot.

• Like 1

I think that Halo DAC looks like good value TBH for a discrete DAC, which can be more expensive both to make and implement as opposed to chip based. I got to hear the Lampizator Golden Gate recently which has both a discrete board in it and a chip less DSD engine. Wow was the only world to describe it.

Yeah I know a lot of guys here think poor build. It has moved a long way from the hard wired spaghetti. I never digged that either TBH. The Golden Gate has great build quality and 5 years warranty. They also do updates (extra charge) which many manufacturers don't do. It at least means it is possible to keep it and take advantage of new developments. Anyway, I would say get to hear it. I am not sure there are many other big tubed DACs around. The DSD engine seems to be a leap forward to process PCM. I was a non believer till I hear it.

Elberoth had the MSB top stack and many others and rates the GG highly. There seems to be a big following for Lampi stuff, folk who stay with it. I don't think about that, I just listen to how it performs.

4 hours ago, lostinaudio said:

Yeah I know a lot of guys here think poor build. It has moved a long way from the hard wired spaghetti. I never digged that either TBH. The Golden Gate has great build quality and 5 years warranty. They also do updates (extra charge) which many manufacturers don't do. It at least means it is possible to keep it and take advantage of new developments. Anyway, I would say get to hear it. I am not sure there are many other big tubed DACs around. The DSD engine seems to be a leap forward to process PCM. I was a non believer till I hear it.

Elberoth had the MSB top stack and many others and rates the GG highly. There seems to be a big following for Lampi stuff, folk who stay with it. I don't think about that, I just listen to how it performs.

All of the Lampizator lemmings post exactly the same things, it's pretty scary. Are you all just robots or in on some sort of Ponzi scheme?

• Like 2

On 2 Jan 2017 at 9:11 PM, mypasswordis said:

All of the Lampizator lemmings post exactly the same things, it's pretty scary. Are you all just robots or in on some sort of Ponzi scheme?

I don't own a Lampizator. Only heard the Golden Gate and really rate it. Have you? Thought not. But like so many here, you decide it stinks regardless. Hmm, wasn't that the claim of the other forum users? If you aint heard it you haver no clue how it sounds, so pretty much blowing air TBH.