dsavitsk Posted March 22, 2018 Report Share Posted March 22, 2018 On 2/19/2018 at 8:21 PM, Sherwood said: I've been putting in a lot of hours with the Focal Clear on my L2 -- reasonably good match on low output impedance, very poor match on high impedance. I can't remember hearing another headphone so sensitive to high output impedance before, but it screws the bass all up. Understanding now why you make a DSHA-3F version, Doug. On high Z, the L2 has a Zout of something like 50 Ohms. The headphones have an impedance of 80 Ohms at 1KHz, but 300 Ohms at 50Hz. That means there is a voltage divider with the headphone Z and amp Z. So, if there is a 1V signal, at 1K about 38% (50/(50+80)) of that signal is lost to the amp's impedance, and the other 62% goes to the phones. So you are left with a 0.62V. At 50Hz, the amp is still 50 Ohms but the phones are 300 Ohms. That means they get 86% of the signal. That's nearly a 3dB boost at 50Hz. Hence too much bass. 3 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.