TKD 4CP-601 & 4CP-2500 4-gang volume pot and PCB GB

mwl168

Hi All:

I inquired TKD Japan directly about their 4-gang volume pot 4CP-601 and they referred me to their US distributor.  

Long story short, looks like I can get the 10K pot for $65 a piece plus shipping. The cost may be slightly lower if total quantity is high. I am still working out some detail information.

Any interest? 

Edited by mwl168

For those new to the thread: there is enough interest, so a GB will take place. State you interest in the GB INTEREST SPREADSHEET (link below)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O_LNaSDBViihkC0dNcYe46SqjOwteiTFmRmuXMRY4fA/edit?usp=sharing

The POTs section of this GB is now officially closed.

Entries for pot boards (type and quantity) can still be updated and edited.

Edited by MLA
Closing time for GB

1 hour ago, MLA said:

If there is interest, bulk ordering from Sweden and then shipping out might be an option...

I think this will be the way to go if there are enough interest in the US.

TKD Japan did not give me the option to buy directly from them probably because they now have an US distributor. According to the US distributor, we cannot even get close to the $42 unit price even with 100 units.

I'm interested, too. (Though I don't need very many — probably 3 or so.)

I paid something like 4500 JPY apiece when I ordered these from Japan about a year ago, but (1) the JPY rose by like 20% since then against the USD, (2) that doesn't include shipping or the deputy service commission. At today's exchange rate, 65 USD without shipping but including commission looks about right.

Edit: One more thing — I only want 10k pots, but maybe other people want 50k?

Edited by gepardcv

8 hours ago, gepardcv said:

I'm interested, too. (Though I don't need very many — probably 3 or so.)

I paid something like 4500 JPY apiece when I ordered these from Japan about a year ago, but (1) the JPY rose by like 20% since then against the USD, (2) that doesn't include shipping or the deputy service commission. At today's exchange rate, 65 USD without shipping but including commission looks about right.

Edit: One more thing — I only want 10k pots, but maybe other people want 50k?

Interesting, I paid 3200 JPY a piece in April this year, plus another 2900 for the shipping. 

10K would be my preference.

Edited by MLA

I think we have enough interest to warrant a GB. I am working with MLA to confirm availability and cost.

Re: the PCB, I think we should make it versatile in utility, minimizing the board size would be the second priority. Does anyone have the means and know-how to layout the PCB and create the Gerber file? Below is the link to the datasheet which includes the dimension information. 

http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/att/pdf/cp600as-e.pdf 

2 hours ago, mwl168 said:

I think we have enough interest to warrant a GB. I am working with MLA to confirm availability and cost.

Re: the PCB, I think we should make it versatile in utility, minimizing the board size would be the second priority. Does anyone have the means and know-how to layout the PCB and create the Gerber file? Below is the link to the datasheet which includes the dimension information. 

http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/att/pdf/cp600as-e.pdf 

I could do it. That way I would get my 0.100" Molex connector footprints as well :)

• Like 1

On August 12, 2016 at 5:50 PM, mwl168 said:

Re: the PCB, I think we should make it versatile in utility, minimizing the board size would be the second priority.

Why not use alpsquad2 or alpsquad3 from Kevin's site? I don't know the difference between those two, but they fit the Alps RK27 and the TKD 4CP-601. (The one on Birgir's DIY supplies page is smaller and TKD-only, but I don't think Gerbers for it are available.)

2 hours ago, gepardcv said:

Why not use alpsquad2 or alpsquad3 from Kevin's site? I don't know the difference between those two, but they fit the Alps RK27 and the TKD 4CP-601. (The one on Birgir's DIY supplies page is smaller and TKD-only, but I don't think Gerbers for it are available.)

I can confirm it fits (assuming it is the one pictured below), though a bit on the large size - maybe the alternate spacing could be changed to fit the 4cp-2500 instead of the Alps. It has a separate ground for each channel and can be cut in half for stereo mode without cutting through any traces. Maybe Pars could add his molex connectors to the existing gerbers.

TKD.jpg

I did not know Kevin already laid out a Gerber for volume pots. Thanks to gepardcv and GeorgeP for pointing it out and confirming it.

I did not see an alpsquad2 but found a alpsquad3 Gerber file on Kevin's site and looked at it through a Gerber file viewer and it looks exactly like the photo GeorgeP posted. I second the motion to alter and fit the TKD 4CP-2500 series given that RK27 does not seem to have a good reputation for sound quality.  

alpsquad3.JPG

Edited by mwl168

That one has both the RK27 and 4CP on it. Did you want one with only the 4CP pot on it? From the one above, the Phoenix connectors will dominate size-wize. Also, if minimum board size is desired, did you want it done like Birgir's so the pot sits up off the board, partially on the Phoeinx connectors? I would guess the Molex KK connectors will fit just fine regardless.